Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy1976 View Post
....and I'm wondering if they need to be balanced when I get them mounted. I'm not worried about the extra cost-it's only about 60 bucks difference if I have them balanced. What do you guys think?
$60 is way too much for balancing two tires. If you are paying to have them mounted, the balancing should be included.

Unless you just don't want to do it, which is OK, tire mounting and balancing is a good skill to learn.

The Harbor Freight balancer works fine. I did have to trim about 1/2" off the end of the metal rod for it to fit the stand.

Also, check the rod to make sure it is straight, and you may need to lube the bearings so they turn freely.

The stand in the photo below is not the HF one. But I used one to balance the tire in the last photo.

Let the wheel turn on the stand until it stops.

When it stops, the 6 o'clock position is the heaviest point on the tire/wheel.

Add weights at the 12 o'clock position (the lightest point...I tape them in place) until you can place the weighted point of the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and the wheel/tire does not move.

Be sure to clean the rim before fastening the weights, or they won't stick. The weights have 2 sided tape on the back.

There are also weights that attach to the spokes, as in the photo above.

These are the stick-on weights. You can put them all on one side, or an equal amount on each side of the rim.

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 02-10-2017 at 09:45 PM.