View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 05:49 PM   #3926

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I had a 64 Midget. First year for disk brakes and roll up windows. it was a hoot to drive. I'd love another, but don't think neither Mrs. C nor I could get in, or out, of one anymore

Don't forget to get yourself a jar of Lucas Replacement Electrical Smoke, you'll probably need it.
Cheesy, I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but like Rabbits, my MG's seem to be multiplying quickly! I'm going to pick up a '77 MGB tomorrow! It's a project, but it's complete. They guy who had it before me (actually, I think it was the guy who had it before him) did a complete hack job to the electrical under the hood. There's jumper wires everywhere and most of them go right back to the battery! I'm pretty sure I can at least get the engine running in short order. The Dark Blue Metallic on the '76 B is a gorgeous color, but the PO lowered it in the most destructive way possible. They cut a coil out of the spring up front, and ripped a leaf out of the spring pack in the rear. So now I've got to source new coils and leaf springs to get it back up to proper ride height. I'm also going to put properly sized tires on it since it will be sitting at the right height now. Luckily, the electrical on the MGB is in fairly good nick. The Midget is a little bit of a different story, but I think I need to pull the tachometer and get it repaired. Most of the wiring goes through that thing, and all the problems I'm having point to it being the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
That MGB is beautiful. My wife and I have trouble getting in my wife's car, but she's going to keep it till she can't get in it. It's a Honda CRZ that sits about as high as those MG's.
Magician, there's a guy in South Georgia selling a beautiful Midget for exactly that reason. He can't easily get in and out of it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Had a 1970 MGB. Car never gave me a lick of trouble. Street-legal go cart. Like cheesy though, there's NO WAY I could get in and out of one now though. It's why I sold the C4.
2LZ, you're not alone in that. I've not really had any gremlins with any of the Lucas electrics I've played with. Most of the people who complain about the electrics struggle to run down faulty grounds. That and corrosion on the connectors tend to be 90% of the issues I've ever encountered. A test light can do an impressive job troubleshooting these simple cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
I had an Austin Healey Sprite and an MGB. The B was right hand drive, bought from an Aussie diplomat in China who had brought it in from Oz. This was when I was stationed at the US embassy in Beijing for three years, 1983 - 86. Both were a lot of fun.
TominMO, I drove a Sprite a couple years back, and while I enjoyed the handling, I think I much prefer the looks of the MG's. I have a buddy out here with a RHD Rolls Royce Silver Wraith. It's a lot of fun to go out and about in. He even keeps a jar of Grey Poupon in the glove box for those of us that remember the commercials!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up