View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #6

I forgot about the full sized wheels on the Recon. But you can find knobbies including DOT approved knobbies in the 19"/17" sizes.
I do like the out of the box stiffness of the inverted forks (Bashan models and the Templars). Templar M is an outstanding value, but it doesn't come with a luggage rack. If this is no problem, this bike comes with the 5 speed ZS172FMM. It is a really nice engine.

MegaDan has a thread describing a front fork upgrade for the Hawk that makes them perform well with mild bumps, then engages a smaller port with harder bumps that controls dive better and improves damping and rebound.

Powersportsmax has lots of parts for the Templars in stock, and they can order most other parts from Zuumav supplier. I haven't needed much, but they got me a front wheel and a starter both under warranty, no questions asked (they just wanted photos showing issues).

Templar X is well equipped upon arrival and it is all DOT approved, street legal...and it gets the 19hp engine, 6 speed, grippy light/tough bear claw footpegs, folding short shifter, nice luggage rack with mounts for side racks coming soon, fully adjustable suspension (separate compression and rebound settings on both ends, plus preload rear spring adjustment), adjustable brake and clutch levers, full sized wheels with decent tires mounted, rim locks, and an amazingly stiff and tough enduro scaled frame that still comes in at under 270lbs ($10k - 15k KTM Husq, etc come in at about 260lbs). That is an accomplishment! On the seat... I have never been uncomfortable on the seat, but my rides are 2 hours max. There is more foam under there than it appears. I am about 190lbs, and I fit well on the bike. At 5'10", it feels like a cadillac once I am rolling. I won't ever push it beyond it's limits, even though I am pretty aggressive. I just wish my should would allow me to jump higher. It is the landings that threaten my shoulder!

These are all crate bikes, and you have to put them together. You will have to rejet, presumably, but the rest is adjusting and positioning controls to suit your preferences.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-14-2022 at 11:04 AM.