View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

2018 KYMCO Spade

Yesterday, I went to the AIMExpo in Columbus, Ohio. I did direct comparisons between all the small motorcycles in the playbike category. The KYMCO Spade is the clear winner. I compared the Honda GROM, Kawasaki Z125Pro, SSR Razkull 125, Vader125, Boom125, American Lifan KP150, Benelli TNT135 and the KYMCO Spade. The only feature that I do not like on the Spade was the rear drum brake. The handlebar risers are a little too high but a new top clamp is available. I was told that the rear brake will be addressed by the aftermarket and possibly the factory at some point.

The Spade has a 150cc counter-balanced, 4-valve head, vertical cylinder-single engine, w/efi, and a 5-speed transmission. The styling is perfect with the retro cafe racer look and the bodywork is minimal. Just a fuel tank, fenders and side panels. It even has right side down forks and twin rear shocks. Ohlins rear shocks are already available for it. MNNTHBX has 19 aftermarket parts available for this bike with more to come.

My previous list was topped by the CSC TT250 but honestly, I like the KYMCO Spade much more. It has the speed, looks and power to do what I want. It's the perfect platform to build upon. A Spring purchase is most likely in my future. If you are looking for a bike is this category you need to look at the Spade. The Benelli runs a very close second and has an even better 6-speed transmission. Sadly, the Benelli 135cc engine is not counter-balanced. A counter-balanced engine is high on my list of desirable features. The biggest engine in the class doesn't hurt either. There is talk of a 200cc big bore kit other performance parts. The Ohlins rear piggyback shocks lift the rearend of the bike to a nice level.

I am very excited about this bike. The SSR was at the top of my list but the Spade beats it hands down. The KYMCO Spade is priced at $2999, same as the Honda Grom but the engine and tranny make the Spade the better deal in my opinion. The Spade is in no way a GROM clone or similar to a GROM. It is in the same motorcycle category and that's where the comparison ends.

The Spade deserves it's own thread within the Street section. Technically it is a Chinese bike as Taiwan is the (PRC).

SamM
Attached Images

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Last edited by SamM; 09-25-2017 at 08:29 AM.