View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

I think the bigger issue here is initial and final drive ratios even if it is a 6 speed gearbox. You might not be gaining anything other than moving your left foot more often. Now I do know with a performance engine more gears will allow you to stay in the "sweet spot" and get better acceleration times, but on these Briggs and Stratton engines the actual ratios would probably matter more.

For example I'm tired of going through Turbo 350 trannies in the old Chevy, even though I've got a mud kit in the last rebuild which seems to be holding up well. So I'm thinking about dropping in a 4 speed manual which will be bulletproof (and I prefer stick shifts). And 3rd gear in the manual is actually slightly lower than first in the Turbo 350 with zero power lost in fluid transfer. But there's a downside, if you try to shift a manual in the hole almost all forward momentum is lost and because of that the automatics almost always win. Better to keep power going to all 4 wheels all the time. But there are some guys that have figured out the absolute best ratio so they don't have to shift.

Idk, I absolutely loved my '88 YZ 80 and it would move, but even in 6th the top speed was about 60mph, maybe less, and I was always shifting.