Thread: Zongshen RX3S
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
The weight is notable for me. I don't obsess about it on bikes (some really do, and it's a bit strange in ADV circles as the most popuar bikes are all rather porky) but on paper (and that's not that meaningful, I know) I don't really see any particular advantage to the RX4.

I wonder if CSC will still offer the RX3 down the line. I still think it's an attractive price point as long as it doesn't get higher, and it's still pretty light weight.

Another question mark for me is reliability, cooling, and valve intervals. Shim or screw?
Likewise for me, regarding the weight. Having a Versys 650, I know first hand what a heavier, especially up top, bike suffers in handling; at low speed the Versys is a bear to maneuver while doing tight turns and figure eight drills in parking lots. The power is great in a straight line, but getting it thru a curve is harder compared to the RX3. You really feel the difference riding them back to back.

Regarding the RX3, I think RX3S sales will determine that. If it does well, then they will probably drop it. If it tanks, then the RX3 stays for its low price point. Either way, I'm not concerned. The RX3S looks to be using a lot of the RX3 hardware: tires and rear wheel (I wonder if the front dual rotor wheel and forks can be retro fitted to the RX3?), what looks to be the same headlight, instrument cluster, etc. So RX3 parts should still be easy to come by if CSC drops it in favor of the RX3S.

Concerning the engine valvetrain, I suspect that Zongshen will stay with what it knows and keep it screw type. Especially if they stick with the softer valve seats, which will require more frequent valve checks and adjustments. Having said that, the $30 I spend every 10,000 miles on a gallon of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant has proven to be money well spent. My RX3 valves haven't budged since 4500 miles and I'm coming up on 13,000 miles now with no issues engine-wise. I even use it in the Versys 650 and TT250 and I'll continue to use it in these bikes too, if I decide to purchase one.