View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 03:09 AM   #1

Warning: Fractured Wheel Bearing

Several days ago I replaced the Shinko 244 tire on my rear wheel. I always inspect every part of the wheel every time I remove a wheel, or replace a tire. The rear hub has two bearings, and the bearing near the rear sprocket was completely fractured. I needed to cut the outer race of the fractured bearing with my dremel tool in order to remove it from the hub.

The bearing on the other side, near the brake rotor, was notchy, and ready to fail. I replaced both Chinese bearings with Japanese bearings, which I had in stock for the original hub of my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. The bearing in the sprocket carrier was in good condition.

The stock bearings have very little grease in them. I packed the new Japanese bearings with extra grease before I installed them. I have ridden over 13,000 miles on my RX3. However, I encourage everyone to check the wheel bearings, no matter how low your mileage. It is much easier to punch out a wheel bearing before it fractures.

I will post photographs of both Chinese bearings tomorrow.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894