View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Ahh s#!t ,Merry Christmas

Got my bike running great by changing out to a 100 jet down from the original 105 (had bad hiccup at wot)

Went out at noon for BBQ ribs and got off on to some good County Road chasing. Crossed over into the next County and this happened

Name:  IMG_20161203_144143829-1036x582.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20161203_145031925_HDR-1024x575.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20161203_150044368_HDR-1036x582.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  97.7 KB

Got to looking for a stump, rock anything and wala, the ubiquitous South Texas mesquite branch. Knew they would come in handy for something besides BBQ. Trouble is, I was under the gun. It was 230pm and it gets dark quick these days and worse the rain is moving in. I had a patch kit so I dove in on the deserted road side. Trouble was, no tire Spoons, at the shop (won't make that mistake again). I ended up using the rear axel bolt to pry the bead out along with a Leatherman tool. You know, you work with what ya got. Even spilled out a little motor oil from my filter port to use as bead lubricant. Pulled the tube and you can see what a gash that nail made in my heavy duty inner tube. CRAP. so I had no other choice and used 2 patches to fix that gash. Bout that time there was a rancher going to feed the cows and I chatted with him. He said he would be back in a a little bit. By that time I had it aired up with my bicycle pump and was going back on the bike. He said he had been on that road for 30 years and Haven't ever seen anyone ever broke down . I was the first. It was out in the sticks for sure. I ended up getting rolling and got back to the main highway about 5 miles east of Oakville community then, bam, rear tire leaks down. I had increased speed to 40mph so I probably ended up compromising the patch. (Such a big gash, I had my doubts it would hold anyway). At least I made it 10 min out to a main highway where I could be found. So I called in the calvary and just in time, the rain came but didn't get wet.
What did I learn, always carry a new tube cause you never know how bad the damage will be. Put those tire Spoons on board and always have a mesquite branch handy.
We had the fire house Christmas party this evening and made it back for that to tell my tale.
Time to buy new tubes again. And BIG patches too
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~