View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 10:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
The 4m40T engine is being cloned in china, so ironically aftermarket parts are somewhat cheap. It's actually found in plethora of china pickups/ SUV. So a set of injectors is less than $100AUD, a head gasket can be found for under $50 and a fully assembled new cylinder head is $500

https://ziptek.en.made-in-china.com/...hallenger.html
The Mitsubishi 2.8L i4 engine is an absolutely perfect size for a Turbo diesel. Even today (!), you can buy those Toyotas in Australia with the same size- Utes (Hilux) and the Land Cruiser. Awesome torque and 30mpg or more (~8liters/100km).

It is almost worth trying to find a used 4WD Mitsubishi with a worn out gasser in the USA and do the conversion. Almost.

You are lucky to have the original TD versions of Mitsubishi trucks in Australia. All of the peripherals and the wiring harness would be a nightmare to find in the USA and the wiring harness would be difficult to say the least.

You can see a first gen Toyota 4x4 in the background in one of those pics I posted with my brewing system. It was a rust-free vehicle I found in Arizona!

Then I found a first gen diesel Toyota and rebuilt the head. I had everything- intact wiring harness and cab, fuel pump and other engine peripherals, but NO TURBO! It was just too daunting. I ended up selling the diesel at a loss and eventually got a Ram 2500 with a cummins TD. But that thing got 15-16 mpg and much worse when I hauled a trailer! Yes, it could move a HOUSE, but I hardly ever needed half of that torque. I felt stupid hauling my 200lb carcass around in that massive truck. You see them everywhere here, most of them sparkling clean, tonneau cover, with one person in the quad cab
The whole point of the i4 diesel in a pickup like the older Toyota Tacoma was to have a capable Ute that didn't spew so much CO2 and didn't cost so much to run. I sold the Ram and got a new Toyota gasser.

Enjoy the Delica. You have a real gem there
Name:  Mit2.8T.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  107.0 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 02-06-2024 at 02:41 PM.