Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
Looks like my issue was the phone charger I wired into the ignition switch. I don't fully understand why, but I unwired the charger and now I have spark again. Anyone know a proper & safe way I can wire it into the ignition switch? I want it to turn on and off via the key.
Wire 12V devices directly from the battery with a fuse for safest setup. If the charger draws ANY power when it isn't charging something, then you need to isolate it with a switch as well. Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) switches are cheap and lots out there.

Last edited by Thumper; Yesterday at 05:24 PM.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #1757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Wire 12V devices directly from the battery with a fuse for safest setup. If the charger draws ANY power when it isn't charging something, then you need to isolate it with a switch as well. Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) switches are cheap and lots out there.

The power drain while off was my main concern and why I wanted to have it ignition controlled, but I guess I'm not electrically inclined enough to do that right.

Old Today, 10:44 AM   #1758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
The power drain while off was my main concern and why I wanted to have it ignition controlled, but I guess I'm not electrically inclined enough to do that right.
If you pull the gas tank and look on the left side of the frame there is an unused connector that is only powered on with the ignition. I happened to have the tank off doing something else when I noticed it. I believe others on the forum have mentioned it too. I judged it ideal for a phone charger. I clipped the connector off and added a pair of wires that ran up behind the headlight. I don't have a charger or phone mount picked out yet so I just tied them up for now. The wires are quite small, I would try to use them to power added driving lights or anything but they seem ideal for the low draw of a charger.

Old Today, 11:08 AM   #1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If you pull the gas tank and look on the left side of the frame there is an unused connector that is only powered on with the ignition. I happened to have the tank off doing something else when I noticed it. I believe others on the forum have mentioned it too. I judged it ideal for a phone charger. I clipped the connector off and added a pair of wires that ran up behind the headlight. I don't have a charger or phone mount picked out yet so I just tied them up for now. The wires are quite small, I would try to use them to power added driving lights or anything but they seem ideal for the low draw of a charger.
Our bikes use a generic wiring harness, which is why the headlight connector has insufficient lead length, the speedo sender is about 16-18" too long (on the 2024 TempX we just assembled), etc.

And, that lead under the tank is probably for a fuel tank level sender, which we don't have, of course.

They must have run out of rivets at the seat factory (my son's new 2024 Temp X). They used small metal screws to attach the rear mounting brackets and one screw dropped out while we were unpaccking. I have a pop riveittor and it took seconds to replace the screw. Much more secure. I think these will get replaced one by one, as they fall out!

I just removed the headlight to install a short extension on the upper mounts, install sequential led front turn signals, my high powered led H4 compatible headlight element, and maybe install a horn (missing). This is first gen Temp X, with a 5 speed. Frankly, I am amazed at how dependable this bike has been. The engine has been flawless, starting so easily, runs quiet, shifts smoothly.

I will take much more care tucking the wiring back in this time, and attach the lower headlight rubber straps, which have been loose for two years!