Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Taotao 125

Hey guys I recently purchased a taotao 125 which is actually a 107cc engine? Anyways I really liked the size of it. It feels longer than other orion and gio bikes I was looking at. I am not too familiar with this particular bike and want to do any upgrades the experts(you guys) would suggest.
So far I have completed assembly by locktiteing everything, removed and de regulated the carb which is a Japan standard Pz 19. Ngk race wire and plug. New oil new fuel filter. I also used Dielectric grease on all the wire harnesses. After riding a few times I am quite happy it's pretty quick and starts up very well. I have had some trouble finding neutral while the engine is running but will chalk that up to break in.
I'm not sure what size chain I have 420 I think? If anyone is familiar with these and can suggest any upgradable parts I would greatly appreciate it thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.6 KB, 118 views)

Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

I think the chain is a 428, but I downgraded Son of Weldangrind's to a 420. Read about my adventures here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10022

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

Wow looks great, how can you tell if it 420 or 428? I thought this bike was a pretty standard china 125cc but find out its a 107cc motor has me worried about parts.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #4

A 420 has 1/4" wide rollers and a 428 has 5/16" wide rollers. Get the rest of the story here: http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm

Don't be concerned about the 107cc displacement; that's what is referred to as a 110. Parts are plentiful.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

As WaG said, dont worry about parts one bit... Theres a boatload of aftermarket stuff...you cam cam that thing, big bore kits...carbs galore, parts are plentiful....i had a pocketbike that did a good bit of work to the 110 motor, would do 67mph....not bad for having my 240# butt on the saddle...LOL

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Nice. I'm having fun on it already but I can see wanting to tinker a bit.