Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #1

Hawk 250 bent fork?

I have a 2015 hawk 250 I laid it down trail riding a couple weeks ago going about 15 mph. After the fall the handlebars were crooked so I went home and loosened the bolts on the lower triple tree wrenched it straight, tightened it and thought all was well.

After a couple miles I found they went right back to where they were. Going back and looking at the nut in the center of the triple tree it was loose and way out of adjustment. Adjusted it so it was snug and loostened the lower triple tree tightened the 30 mm nut on top and straightened the wheel and tightened it all back up.

After a quick cruise it seemed all good and rode straight. A couple gravel roads later it's crooked again I've done this a couple times now and it keeps going back to crooked.

Is it my forks? Could it be the triple tree? Any other ideas?
I have to assume it's probably the forks. Does anybody know of some other brand forks that would fit? Or even a whole front end? The whole front end could get speedy but might be worth it

Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Without seeing it in person ,or at least several good quality pictures ,it could honestly be just about anything .Since it's truly a safety issue , get it checked out by a competent bike shop .

Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #3

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...thorid%3D75082

Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonda Dude View Post
I have a 2015 hawk 250 I laid it down trail riding a couple weeks ago going about 15 mph. After the fall the handlebars were crooked so I went home and loosened the bolts on the lower triple tree wrenched it straight, tightened it and thought all was well.

After a couple miles I found they went right back to where they were. Going back and looking at the nut in the center of the triple tree it was loose and way out of adjustment. Adjusted it so it was snug and loostened the lower triple tree tightened the 30 mm nut on top and straightened the wheel and tightened it all back up.

After a quick cruise it seemed all good and rode straight. A couple gravel roads later it's crooked again I've done this a couple times now and it keeps going back to crooked.

Is it my forks? Could it be the triple tree? Any other ideas?
I have to assume it's probably the forks. Does anybody know of some other brand forks that would fit? Or even a whole front end? The whole front end could get speedy but might be worth it
I've never heard of forks being bent in a fifteen mph laydown. Much more likely something is out of line. I've teaked front forks out of true quite a few times in my miss spent youth. I'd put the machine up with a milk crate under the engine, front wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel. Is it in the middle of the forks? If nothing is obviously wrong, I would loosen the axle nut, the upper and lower clamps. Make sure that the steering stem nut is not too tight. It is only supposed to be tight enough to just take out play in the steering head. These are cup and cone bearings, remember. Just like the bicycle you had as a kid. So with everything loose, put your legs, one on either side of the tire, and twist the handlebars until they are where they should be. Then tighten the triple tree tube clamps, then the axle nut. Now re-check that the steering head bearings are just tight enough to eliminate slop, hold the steering head nut still while tightening the steering head lock nut....ARH

Old 03-24-2017, 01:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I've never heard of forks being bent in a fifteen mph laydown. Much more likely something is out of line. I've teaked front forks out of true quite a few times in my miss spent youth. I'd put the machine up with a milk crate under the engine, front wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel. Is it in the middle of the forks? If nothing is obviously wrong, I would loosen the axle nut, the upper and lower clamps. Make sure that the steering stem nut is not too tight. It is only supposed to be tight enough to just take out play in the steering head. These are cup and cone bearings, remember. Just like the bicycle you had as a kid. So with everything loose, put your legs, one on either side of the tire, and twist the handlebars until they are where they should be. Then tighten the triple tree tube clamps, then the axle nut. Now re-check that the steering head bearings are just tight enough to eliminate slop, hold the steering head nut still while tightening the steering head lock nut....ARH
You caught the top and bottom clamps thing. They both have to loosened to put the forks and front wheel back inline.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

The wheel does not sit in the middle of the forks unless I just did the adjustments. I did the adjustment again to make it straight again except this time I did loosen the axle nut and did it in the order ARH recommended and after a short test ride (it's cold here) it seems to be shifting back to crooked again.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

have you put a straight edge along the forks to see if there is a bend.
if there is a bend it will normaly be just below the bottom triple clamp..
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #8

try this loosen the 4 bolts that hold the shock and twist the shock 90 degrees then straighten as befor. if it doesnt work try twisting the other one.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250