Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #1

Starter clutch assembly for Zstar 250cc model atv250H quad

Hi guys! I need a little help in locating some similar parts. I have a 2008 Zstar model 250H 250cc quad with shaft drive. The parts that I am looking for is the starter clutch pack assembly that the starter drives in order to turn over the engine. I have been having a terrible time in getting the parts for this quad. The old gent that bought this from me has hardly used this quad, but the manufacturer can't seem to supply the parts I need. Because of this lack of service from the company, I will no longer deal these units, but need to look after the one I sold. I don't need any bashing about buying the proper brands because I've seen good and bad in all makes! I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem in other brands, and if so, are replacement parts available? I would think that it's a fairly common assembly used in many of the China motors. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #2

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.giobikes.com/Auction/47070/200cc-ATV-Clutch/

Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

Nope

That is the actual clutch. Gio has a starter clutch assembly listed, but not sure if it'll work on not. That's a lot of $$$ to put out without knowing if it fits the same.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #4

Re: Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnburn99
That is the actual clutch. Gio has a starter clutch assembly listed, but not sure if it'll work on not. That's a lot of $$$ to put out without knowing if it fits the same.
What make is the 250cc motor you need the assy for?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #5

Re: Nope

Quote:
Nobody is likely to bash your brand choice here.

I picked up a Gio clutch like the one pictured above for $16.00, plus $5.00 auction fee, shipping and taxes. If your machine is a Honda clone, it will likely be the same clutch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

Its a 169 FML according to the website. I think as a dealer Turnburn99 can figure out the rest.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #7

I don't have the bike at my disposal at the moment, but have contacted the supplier in regard to the make of the engine. Will post as soon as I know.
Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Its a 169 FML according to the website. I think as a dealer Turnburn99 can figure out the rest.
Sorry to confuse, but what I'm looking for is the starter clutch assembly. The electric starter contacts with this assembly to turn over the engine. The part # on the defective part is: WJL0803. The 169 FML engine was used on the atv250F among others, but I can't remember what engine is on the 250H. Could be the same, but I don't think so... I'm not having any luck getting one from the supplier, and see that Gio has one for the 250cc engine. I'm not sure if the one Gio has is the same or not. This particular bike has been discontinued and therefore it's hard to get parts.
Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #9

Now I'm a little confused as well.

That clutch pack shown above has a mini ring gear on it, if Im not mistaken the starter shaft gear will engage this to turn over the bike.

The starter itself is totally seperate of course, sitting externally on the engine.

I dont know of any other "clutch/starter pack" you could buy.

Perhaps you can show us a picture?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #10

Hi-ya again, the above pic that was posted is a clutch assembly. I would love to post a pic, but have no idea how to??? I have a pic on my other computer of the actual broken part I'm looking for and the one that Gio has listed. Once I figure out how to put a pic on, I'll post them.
Thanks

Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #11

Here is a picture of the starter clutch that Gio has listed:

Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Now I'm a little confused as well.

That clutch pack shown above has a mini ring gear on it, if Im not mistaken the starter shaft gear will engage this to turn over the bike.

The starter itself is totally seperate of course, sitting externally on the engine.

I dont know of any other "clutch/starter pack" you could buy.

Perhaps you can show us a picture?
I do agree that it looks like the gear on the clutch assembly is the same as what I'm looking for, but as you can see by the pic I posted the starter clutch assembly has it's own dogs internally. So essentially there is a starter clutch assembly and a clutch assembly. It would be sweet if I could get both in one. It certainly does look that way.

Go hard for two days, fix for five, then start over again!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #13

Take the old guys quad back in trade and sell him something that you can get parts for. Make him an offer he cant refuse.

This is a very odd part to break if he "almost never uses it" so whats next?

Tell him you no longer carry this line and therefor can no longer support it, but you would be happy to take it back in trade if he purchases one of your mainstream models (I dont know what you carry).

As a dealer, sometimes you have to suck it up and bite the bullet, do the right thing.

I cant see you losing thousands of dollars here, especially if you can move a newer quad.

Best of luck with it.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Take the old guys quad back in trade and sell him something that you can get parts for. Make him an offer he cant refuse.

Tell him you no longer carry this line and therefor can no longer support it, but you would be happy to take it back in trade if he purchases one of your mainstream models (I dont know what you carry).

As a dealer, sometimes you have to suck it up and bite the bullet, do the right thing.

I cant see you losing thousands of dollars here, especially if you can move a newer quad.

Best of luck with it.

LOL I've tried that! Offered to replace it with a new one from another manufacturer without any difference. He's old school, it's not a money issue with him. He's a neat ol' fella cause he wants the old one fixed and doesn't want to waste anybody's money! I totally agree with everything you've said, but the customer is always right. I have moved and am no longer an active dealer, but always want to make people as happy as I can. With this fellow the only way he will be happy is for his quad to get fixed, not replaced. That's why I'm trying so hard to source out other alternatives. I've counted the teeth on the part I have and it has 57 teeth and the one that Gio lists looks to have 60. I can't accurately count the teeth on the clutch pack due to the picture.
Thanks for the insight thus far.

Go hard for two days, fix for five, then start over again!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Best of luck with it.

LOL I've tried that! Offered to replace it with a new one from another manufacturer without any difference. He's old school, it's not a money issue with him. He's a neat ol' fella cause he wants the old one fixed and doesn't want to waste anybody's money! I totally agree with everything you've said, but the customer is always right. I have moved and am no longer an active dealer, but always want to make people as happy as I can. With this fellow the only way he will be happy is for his quad to get fixed, not replaced. That's why I'm trying so hard to source out other alternatives. I've counted the teeth on the part I have and it has 57 teeth and the one that Gio lists looks to have 60. I can't accurately count the teeth on the clutch pack due to the picture.
Thanks for the insight thus far.
I think it's admirable you're trying to help this fellow out the way he wants, and how he doesn't want to waste money.. however, time = money for most of us, so the more time you spend running around trying to find this oddball part, the more money he's costing you. You're going to reach the point where you have to start buying things and hoping when they arrive they're the right part. That gets expensive.

Can you replace the whole starter?

Can you replace the engine assembly?

If you bought the Gio clutch and the Gio Gear you've shown, would that work?

If it's cheaper and possible to do the top to I would investigate, or tell him you can't find the part, it's costing you loads of time and energy, and you're better off at this point to flip him a new unit like PCD suggested.