Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Tao Tao 250 Rhino electric question

Hey everyone got a new Tao Tao rhino 250 delivered the other day fully assembled (and PDI supposedly). Went to break it in but couldn’t get any life out of it when pressing the start button on the handlebar. Tried doing that with the handbrake depressed and foot brake depressed without luck.

Looked at the wiring harness and reseated every harness plug. Again no luck. Then I found two wires coming from the starter harness which were not connected to anything. One is yellow/greeen and the other black. If I connect them together I get power and I can start the atv. But the connectors at the end of those wires look like they belong in a harness or some sort of terminal.

Does anyone know what those two wires are, and whether they are meant to connect to each other or something else?

Old 03-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #2

Yes with those two wires connected together it will start in any gear - only with clutch engaged though.

Without them connected together (even when in neutral) the start button simply doesn’t work (absolutely nothing happens when pressing it)

Old 03-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #3

Here is a photo of them connected for reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CF0CAE13-65F6-4BFE-A945-D7AFABC82B14.jpeg (40.4 KB, 138 views)

Old 03-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #4

LOL - yep disengaged.

So if that’s the neutral safety switch, if they’re not connected to each other, what would they be connected to?

In other words any ideas why the bike won’t start in neutral when those two are not connected?

Just trying to see what the original intent of those wires was. I don’t mind not having the neutral safety feature, but curious as to where those wires would otherwise go?

Thanks so much

Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #5

I'll have a look at mine this afternoon if you haven't figured it out by then.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #6

Sounds like they're the cutoff switch wires. Try starting it and flipping the red switch above the starter button to the left or right. If the motor shuts down it's not the cutoff switch wires. If the motor stays running, it probably is the cutoff switch wires. Don't forget to reset the cutoff by putting it in the middle position and pressing the switch inward.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #7

Those are the wires that go to the rear brake light switch.