Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

TT250 and Hawk 250 Interchangeable?

Hi all,
I have been away from this forum for a few years but I got a new Hawk250 and this is the best forum. My son ran into a fence and I find myself needing a front wheel assembly and a fender. I found a good price on these for the TT250. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? I can't tell if the rim is the same width and the mounts for the brake rotor are the same.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a5115 View Post
Hi all,
I have been away from this forum for a few years but I got a new Hawk250 and this is the best forum. My son ran into a fence and I find myself needing a front wheel assembly and a fender. I found a good price on these for the TT250. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? I can't tell if the rim is the same width and the mounts for the brake rotor are the same.
Thanks
try the search function i know ive read the answer on here befor.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 AM   #3

Not the same - TT250 has USD forks and totally different hub and axle

http://therps.net/User%20Manual/Hawk...s%20Manual.pdf

maybe look on www.therps.net for parts

Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks
Welcome back! I hope your son is ok after hitting the fence.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Not the same - TT250 has USD forks and totally different hub and axle

http://therps.net/User%20Manual/Hawk...s%20Manual.pdf

maybe look on www.therps.net for parts
The hub is different, but the axle shaft diameter and front bearings are the same. Technically you could use the front hub, but it also requires using the rotor from the TT as well, The front caliper is the same, but the mount location on the forks is slightly different in location from centerine to account for the small increase in diameter of said rotor.

In short it could work, but the effort and cost would make it not worth doing vs. getting a new Hawk wheel.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The hub is different, but the axle shaft diameter and front bearings are the same. Technically you could use the front hub, but it also requires using the rotor from the TT as well, The front caliper is the same, but the mount location on the forks is slightly different in location from centerine to account for the small increase in diameter of said rotor.

In short it could work, but the effort and cost would make it not worth doing vs. getting a new Hawk wheel.
You sure the T250 isn't a 15mm shaft and Hawk a 12mm shaft? I could be wrong or I am mixing my info or bikes and what not together.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
You sure the T250 isn't a 15mm shaft and Hawk a 12mm shaft? I could be wrong or I am mixing my info or bikes and what not together.
Pretty darn sure, considering it is listed as an M12x210mm.

Or the fact that the front wheel bearings are 6201-2RS, which I guess is useless info without knowing how to read bearing codes. Suffice it to say that is a 12mm ID, 32mm OD 10mm wide roller bearing.

Now, if you wanted to run a 15mm shaft wheel on said TT250, aside from boring the pinch bolt holes in the forks, you could run 6002-2RS bearings, or 15mm x 32mm x 9mm wide. It would require a 2mm wider spacer, or 1mm shims behind each bearing (likely both).

Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Pretty darn sure, considering it is listed as an M12x210mm.

Or the fact that the front wheel bearings are 6201-2RS, which I guess is useless info without knowing how to read bearing codes. Suffice it to say that is a 12mm ID, 32mm OD 10mm wide roller bearing.

Now, if you wanted to run a 15mm shaft wheel on said TT250, aside from boring the pinch bolt holes in the forks, you could run 6002-2RS bearings, or 15mm x 32mm x 9mm wide. It would require a 2mm wider spacer, or 1mm shims behind each bearing (likely both).
Thanks for that - I am mixing up the CQR and Shineray small X5 (a type of Hawk but newer styling) in to the mix as they have the 15mm axles. Bolt thru the center style without pinching the axle like the RX3 does)

Then the Hawk conventional forks and TT250 USD forks run different styles of hubs and the TT250 is called a heavier duty hub but very non generic in China (hard to get the hub and disc) But I suspect the Hawk style hub would be a fairly easy item to get and compare sizes etc to another bike, rear hubs also pretty easy.

Somehow I thought my old Hawk like bike was a 15mm/TT250 style hub, or maybe it was but the TT250 isn't the same axle as that was - all rather messy and needing to check sizes etc to get stuff right.

How are the Hawk or TT250 steering bearings holding up? my old bike was just ball rollers and I upgraded to taper bearings, I got sick of the play in the steering head

Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks
I suggest you check the forks very carefully. Not at all hard to prang a set of forks...ARH

Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for that - I am mixing up the CQR and Shineray small X5 (a type of Hawk but newer styling) in to the mix as they have the 15mm axles. Bolt thru the center style without pinching the axle like the RX3 does)

Then the Hawk conventional forks and TT250 USD forks run different styles of hubs and the TT250 is called a heavier duty hub but very non generic in China (hard to get the hub and disc) But I suspect the Hawk style hub would be a fairly easy item to get and compare sizes etc to another bike, rear hubs also pretty easy.

Somehow I thought my old Hawk like bike was a 15mm/TT250 style hub, or maybe it was but the TT250 isn't the same axle as that was - all rather messy and needing to check sizes etc to get stuff right.

How are the Hawk or TT250 steering bearings holding up? my old bike was just ball rollers and I upgraded to taper bearings, I got sick of the play in the steering head
We had a rash of steering head bearing failures a few years ago, but the discovery of how little low-quality grease the factory used woke most everybody up to the problem. English bearing grease wasn't that much better in the early fifties, either. At the shops I worked in back in those days, we replaced the original grease with outboard motor grease which is salt water proof. I bought mine at the local Evinrude shop. Even roller bearings will eventually fail with poor quality grease - it just takes longer...ARH

Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

^ Exactly that. I have a couple of pictures on here I took that showed the two boogers worth of grease that were put on the bearings. It is well worth the time to pull the steering stem just to clean up and properly grease them. They still might not last forever, but there is no reason to not get a few years of service out of them either.

Here is one of the pictures from my Hawk right out of the crate. This is the lower bearing. The upper had even less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35118897_10156409385031992_2521824407584768_n.jpg (56.9 KB, 417 views)

Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

My old hawk like bike I had endless steering head troubles, replaced and regreased several time etc and ended up doing tapered bearing in it just before I sold it.

Was just something I found troublesome and thought maybe a solution was warranted for all the others worldwide etc

Old 12-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #13

Thanks

Thanks to all who posted. My son's pride was hurt more than he was. The forks were bent. Straightened them up with a dial indicator, a couple of Vee blocks and a press. I was trying to find a cheaper source for parts, don't think the rim/hub assembly should be a fifth of the price of the whole bike. I figured the caliper location would be the most critical.
I did order the parts from RPS.
Thanks again