Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

Thoughts on the GPX FSE450?

Anyone know anything about this bike asides from one review on youtube? Or any current owners? Im considering getting this bike because it’s basically a poormans ktm 500

Old 01-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #2

I think the GPX lineup is worth looking into, and this bike should be a great bike. Not too many reports on the bike, however, as you found out. Like any premium Chinese bike (several years ago, that term would be an oxymoron ) it comes down to if you can find a used name brand bike vs. a new Chinese bike, but finding used bikes at reasonable prices seems to be in only a few geographic areas, so the GPX should be fine for purchase. Pitster has taken Chinese bikes several notches above what common Chinese bikes are, and then released the GPX line which is even higher up there in features. I doubt you will have any issues with the bike; it should be on par with the name brand bikes. One review which is NOT the 450, but from an interesting perspective is the following video. Everide had ripped on the CSC RX3 for all different reasons, and many here and elsewhere gave him a lot of flack for his (I feel distorted) view of the Zongshen bike. A lot of his criticisms on the RX3 seemed to be that it was not an MX bike; but it is NOT an MX bike. Anyway, he does mention that old review, and balances it out with this review. Again, not the 450, but still a GPX, so should give you some perspective on the 450 bike.

EDIT: Another review of the GPX lineup

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; 01-20-2021 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Add in another video

Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

Yeah, there's not a lot of experience on this forum, mostly because most of the people on here are looking for something cheap and Chinese to ride, there aren't a lot of people with the more expensive stuff like GPX. ADVRider.com is a better source for individuals' experience, and even better is the GPX page on

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/425498251229437/

ADV thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/gpx-fse-450r.1273457/

Gary Goodwin is the owner of GPX, and is super accessible, we're actually friends on Facebook (though I otherwise have no affiliation with the company), he regularly posts on the group and works with members to help rectify any problems that they have (I haven't seen anything big that they haven't been able to resolve). Based on customer service alone, I think that he's one of the best dealers of Chinese bikes in the States.

As for the product itself, I would think of the 450 more like a bigger, better, lighter, and updated DRZ-400, rather than a KTM. They use a copy of the KTM frame, but a linkage shock, and good quality, if not name brand forks. They are as adjustable as nearly anything else on the market, that is to say that your suspension shop can work on them, if you're the sort that has that done.

The engine is relatively mildly tuned (I've heard of 43 hp at the rear wheel when tuned), but seems to be torquey and reliable, something you could ride for a long time without a rebuild, which doesn't seem to be the experience of most KTM owners. I would expect it to be longer-lasting than any of the Honda/Yamaha/Husky/KTM big bore enduros, because it isn't race tuned, but has enough power to keep things interesting. I believe that it is also lighter than the CRF450L. The milder tune keeps it more fuel efficient, longer lasting, and more reliable, which is the sweet spot that the 450L didn't seem to hit (and is also half as expensive).

If I had the money, I would buy one in a heartbeat, not only for what it is, but the quality of support that Gary and the team at GPX offer, their customer support rivals anything on the market, be it big 4 or any other marque.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

No personal experience of my own, but a buddy of mine bought one last year and has since also bought a CRF450L. In his words the FSE450R is more similar to riding the CRF450L than it would be a CRF450R. The power delivery is more tame than a typical race 450 so it can actually be a little more forgiving. He said that if you could get a larger fuel tank, a more comfortable seat, and maybe upgrade the lighting a bit it would be a good budget alternative to the 450L, but without the full rear subframe that allows for luggage - the only real catch.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I think the GPX lineup is worth looking into, and this bike should be a great bike. Not too many reports on the bike, however, as you found out. Like any premium Chinese bike (several years ago, that term would be an oxymoron ) it comes down to if you can find a used name brand bike vs. a new Chinese bike, but finding used bikes at reasonable prices seems to be in only a few geographic areas, so the GPX should be fine for purchase. Pitster has taken Chinese bikes several notches above what common Chinese bikes are, and then released the GPX line which is even higher up there in features. I doubt you will have any issues with the bike; it should be on par with the name brand bikes. One review which is NOT the 450, but from an interesting perspective is the following video. Everide had ripped on the CSC RX3 for all different reasons, and many here and elsewhere gave him a lot of flack for his (I feel distorted) view of the Zongshen bike. A lot of his criticisms on the RX3 seemed to be that it was not an MX bike; but it is NOT an MX bike. Anyway, he does mention that old review, and balances it out with this review. Again, not the 450, but still a GPX, so should give you some perspective on the 450 bike.

EDIT: Another review of the GPX lineup
Thanks for the info and yeah I would figure as much as I at one point got a lifan xpect. Pretty good bike to learn on. Since then I had some experience on a couple bikes and I think a 450 will fit my needs, as i want something to kick ass on trails and actually stand a chance in a drag while im going around town to school haha... im sure a prius would kill my xpect in a drag lol

Old 01-20-2021, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Yeah, there's not a lot of experience on this forum, mostly because most of the people on here are looking for something cheap and Chinese to ride, there aren't a lot of people with the more expensive stuff like GPX. ADVRider.com is a better source for individuals' experience, and even better is the GPX page on

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/425498251229437/

ADV thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/gpx-fse-450r.1273457/

Gary Goodwin is the owner of GPX, and is super accessible, we're actually friends on Facebook (though I otherwise have no affiliation with the company), he regularly posts on the group and works with members to help rectify any problems that they have (I haven't seen anything big that they haven't been able to resolve). Based on customer service alone, I think that he's one of the best dealers of Chinese bikes in the States.

As for the product itself, I would think of the 450 more like a bigger, better, lighter, and updated DRZ-400, rather than a KTM. They use a copy of the KTM frame, but a linkage shock, and good quality, if not name brand forks. They are as adjustable as nearly anything else on the market, that is to say that your suspension shop can work on them, if you're the sort that has that done.

The engine is relatively mildly tuned (I've heard of 43 hp at the rear wheel when tuned), but seems to be torquey and reliable, something you could ride for a long time without a rebuild, which doesn't seem to be the experience of most KTM owners. I would expect it to be longer-lasting than any of the Honda/Yamaha/Husky/KTM big bore enduros, because it isn't race tuned, but has enough power to keep things interesting. I believe that it is also lighter than the CRF450L. The milder tune keeps it more fuel efficient, longer lasting, and more reliable, which is the sweet spot that the 450L didn't seem to hit (and is also half as expensive).

If I had the money, I would buy one in a heartbeat, not only for what it is, but the quality of support that Gary and the team at GPX offer, their customer support rivals anything on the market, be it big 4 or any other marque.
I sent him a email this morning with a few questions and he has already gotten back to me. Such great service, probably better than honda as it would take forever to get a email back... not to mention one from the owner of the damn company

Old 01-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
No personal experience of my own, but a buddy of mine bought one last year and has since also bought a CRF450L. In his words the FSE450R is more similar to riding the CRF450L than it would be a CRF450R. The power delivery is more tame than a typical race 450 so it can actually be a little more forgiving. He said that if you could get a larger fuel tank, a more comfortable seat, and maybe upgrade the lighting a bit it would be a good budget alternative to the 450L, but without the full rear subframe that allows for luggage - the only real catch.
Awesome thats exactly what i want. I wouldnt want to go on the trails with a 450r anyway. i had one just to flip and ill tell you it was a monster, not to mention keeping the thing alive with frequent oil changes and valve checks was annoying as all hell. Gary the owner of GPX got to me saying the valve checks are every 5k miles. Not bad for a performance oriented dual sport

Old 01-20-2021, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowenboy View Post
Awesome thats exactly what i want. I wouldnt want to go on the trails with a 450r anyway. i had one just to flip and ill tell you it was a monster, not to mention keeping the thing alive with frequent oil changes and valve checks was annoying as all hell. Gary the owner of GPX got to me saying the valve checks are every 5k miles. Not bad for a performance oriented dual sport
Yeah, the NC450 is more of a "street" tuned engine. The 5k valve checks are pretty standard for it as I know the CSC RX4 uses the same motor and has the same service intervals. I have been eyeballing the RX4 more and more, so my interest in the engine has lead me to do some research of my own. I do way more street riding, so an ADV style bike is more up my alley, even though the FSE450 has also been on my radar.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
but from an interesting perspective is the following video. Everide had ripped on the CSC RX3 for all different reasons, and many here and elsewhere gave him a lot of flack for his (I feel distorted) view of the Zongshen bike.
That's one of many review i saw that made think that selling small cc motorcycle in the US is somewhat pointless and i was surprise when im saw that KTM was going to sell the Duke 200 in the US.

BUT BUT

While it seems that Everide views are a bit distored and biased. In this case i blame mostly CSC and those worldwide resellers that try to sell the RX3 as a "Rally Motorcycle". Those claimed 24 HP are closer to the 20 than 24, for the engine it has it's somewhat heavy.

The National reseller here got a bit smarter and avoided people trashing it, by selling it as a small TOURING motorcycle, that's capable to do gravel and some dirt roads. They even dropped from the gas tank the "Adventure" decal and instead put a "TOURING"

Name:  27500186_1547913791988715_5133832378844585714_o.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  11.6 KB

The same goes for the CRF230f Clones, they are sold as a "250cc" and when people put them next to 250cc they get trashed, even worse when the 250cc is DOHC and water cooled...

I think the key here is being honest with the product and don't lie to people just drop the "250CC" and put "230cc" don't say it's an ADVENTURE BIKE because it looks like one, just say "It's a small touring motorcycle with a lift kit, you may take it to gravel and some dirt, but don't expect going to rocks and survive".

Old 01-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah, the NC450 is more of a "street" tuned engine. The 5k valve checks are pretty standard for it as I know the CSC RX4 uses the same motor and has the same service intervals. I have been eyeballing the RX4 more and more, so my interest in the engine has lead me to do some research of my own. I do way more street riding, so an ADV style bike is more up my alley, even though the FSE450 has also been on my radar.
sure man. i just want something light weight for more trail use. not to mention 44hp and 285 wet weight is a pretty good power weight ratio (i weigh 160 so im pretty light). 0-60 calculator says around 4.7 secs... realistically 5-5.5 due to knobbies so thats basically taking 99 percent of cars (including WRX's, Civic Si's and type rs, mustangs, ect) in a drag haha

Old 01-20-2021, 10:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowenboy View Post
sure man. i just want something light weight for more trail use. not to mention 44hp and 285 wet weight is a pretty good power weight ratio (i weigh 160 so im pretty light). 0-60 calculator says around 4.7 secs... realistically 5-5.5 due to knobbies so thats basically taking 99 percent of cars (including WRX's, Civic Si's and type rs, mustangs, ect) in a drag haha
I like your realism lol. My VFR1200 with it's ECU tune and the limiters removed "can" do 0-60 in 2.5 Seconds (First gear goes to nearly 70). I have yet had the fortitude to go hard enough to even come close to that as the nearly 600lb bike with my 260lbs on it has already lifted the nose more than a foot off the ground the last time I tried launching it hard lol. In theory it could beat many supercars off the line, and even to 100mph... just not with me in the seat.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
I like your realism lol. My VFR1200 with it's ECU tune and the limiters removed "can" do 0-60 in 2.5 Seconds (First gear goes to nearly 70). I have yet had the fortitude to go hard enough to even come close to that as the nearly 600lb bike with my 260lbs on it has already lifted the nose more than a foot off the ground the last time I tried launching it hard lol. In theory it could beat many supercars off the line, and even to 100mph... just not with me in the seat.
gotcha haha. i just need to sell a few bikes and i should be able to get it. ill keep you guys updated if i end up getting it

Tags
china bikes, gpx, gpxfse450r, thumper