Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Becoming an Importer/Dealer

** If you would like the straight to question please jump to the last paragraph. Thank you

My brother and I own our own retail Auto Parts and accessories business and currently own 3 stores and have been in business for over 20 years. Every summer we buy electric scooters (low end to high end i.e. resell for $250 up to $1,100 and they all sell quickly)

Since i have gotten into china bikes (own a 2021 TT250 but looked at and did all the usual research beginning with the Hawk through to the Brozz etc) i have been thinking alot about selling these bikes.

I say this for a few reasons; since getting my tt250 and riding it to work and parking it right out front of the door of our business i swear i have never gotten so many inquiries and interest to buy. The tt250 has garnered WAY more attention than anything we have ever had parked out front. 2ndly, when the people inquire they ask what the price is and i tell them what i paid and their eyes light up and they remark how they thought for sure i was going to say atleast $4 grand or more. Lastly, i have the perfect location for an actual dealership and service and i can see the entire layout perfectly in my mind. Also a bonus is i live in upstate New York and people love their dirtbikes and 4 wheelers and there are plenty of trails etc in the immediate area. The only other "competition" which i believe will not be an issue is a dirtbike/quad/used motorcycle dealer/servicer that has been privately owned and operated in the area since forever. HOWEVER, they have a terrible reputation in the town, are overpriced and sell subpar used machines, and are a Beta dealer.
I honestly believe there is a market for these bikes, especially at the price point.

I need information on how to even begin. I was going to start by just buying a hawk or two and selling them from my store. But i wouldnt know how transfer of warranty works or initial MCO if the buyer wants to register it for street use etc.

Also, i wanted to ultimately do what Peacemotorports and CSC does and that is buy the bike and then brand it with our own name and select components.

I searched for a while online for Zongshen Company and found up to 3 websites that all seem like it is in fact Zongshen, i emailed all 3 of them weeks ago and have not heard a thing back so i did it again last week and still have heard nothing back.

Does anyone know anything that would help me?

Old 12-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #2

I wish you all the luck in the world to get his going. I wonder if CSC would be interested having you become a branch for them. I know they were looking for shops willing to work on warranty and repair issues. Maybe reach out to them and mill it over.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
I wish you all the luck in the world to get his going. I wonder if CSC would be interested having you become a branch for them. I know they were looking for shops willing to work on warranty and repair issues. Maybe reach out to them and mill it over.
Thats probably what i will do, reach out to CSC. I was just on Zongshens site again and did another email inquiry but the form corrupts and wont submit.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #4

Perhaps another option is to be the custom bike shop for these bikes.. ie.. buy the Hawk/Brozz/CSC etc and do all of the the things most people do and then mark them up and sell for whatever profit is appropriate..
There are many out there that dont know an adjustable wrench from a torque wrench or just dont have the time and im sure it would be nice option to buy one with things done like: maintenance: valves/motor oil/fork oil/brake fluid/lock-tite etc
Upgrades: exhaust/intake/spark plug/chain/porting etc
And then make up a few package options with levels and different costs

Just a thought

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 12-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Perhaps another option is to be the custom bike shop for these bikes.. ie.. buy the Hawk/Brozz/CSC etc and do all of the the things most people do and then mark them up and sell for whatever profit is appropriate..
There are many out there that dont know an adjustable wrench from a torque wrench or just dont have the time and im sure it would be nice option to buy one with things done like: maintenance: valves/motor oil/fork oil/brake fluid/lock-tite etc
Upgrades: exhaust/intake/spark plug/chain/porting etc
And then make up a few package options with levels and different costs

Just a thought
the trouble with that idea is that being a legitimate business, especially one that sells road vehicles in the U.S., is dealing with the EPA and DOT and all of their laws and regulations. Selling hop up parts that modify the factory equipment in particular is a whole world of headaches.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #6

Not to mention, lets be real on the target audience on the vast majority of the people who buy these. One glance at the Facebook group, no offense, and it becomes clear to me whats likely possible or not.

Especially in a litigious state like mine (Florida), imagine being on the hook when the frame fails when Billy Bob biffs it on his epic dune jump.

People like Q9, TXPowersports have it right - ship the metal, sell some parts and wash your hands of the rest. Just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
the trouble with that idea is that being a legitimate business, especially one that sells road vehicles in the U.S., is dealing with the EPA and DOT and all of their laws and regulations. Selling hop up parts that modify the factory equipment in particular is a whole world of headaches.

My Hawk DLX info page: https://www.ecimulti.org/hawk250

Old 12-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #7

Yeah, there's a reason that a lot of people selling Chinese stuff basically drop ship them and don't stand by them, it's because it's more difficult/expensive to do things the right way.

I'm fairly certain that Zongshen has an exclusive contact with CSC for US distribution.

Two thoughts: if you're interested in being a dealer, maybe look at GPX Moto/Poster Pro.

If you're looking at distributing, I would look at the French company Mash. Feel free if you want to PM me, I'm happy to translate if you need to get in contact with them. http://www.mash-motors.fr/en/

They sell stuff that I think would sell well in the States, and as much as I hate saying it, getting some social media influencers on board by sponsoring them might buy you a small but significant market share.

I have a friend who is one of the higher ups in one of (if not the) biggest multiline dealerships in Texas and the South, so potentially I could connect you to get a foot in the door there.

Personally, I'd look at being a dealer/distributor of another product, the simple reason that actually importing things under your own name and creating your own brand is much more difficult than it used to be, but working with someone else who is already established helps to ease the headache.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Good point.. its easy for the end-consumer to sometimes forget about all of the red tape that falls on the business side of the house

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 12-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Yeah, there's a reason that a lot of people selling Chinese stuff basically drop ship them and don't stand by them, it's because it's more difficult/expensive to do things the right way.

I'm fairly certain that Zongshen has an exclusive contact with CSC for US distribution.

Two thoughts: if you're interested in being a dealer, maybe look at GPX Moto/Poster Pro.

If you're looking at distributing, I would look at the French company Mash. Feel free if you want to PM me, I'm happy to translate if you need to get in contact with them. http://www.mash-motors.fr/en/

They sell stuff that I think would sell well in the States, and as much as I hate saying it, getting some social media influencers on board by sponsoring them might buy you a small but significant market share.

I have a friend who is one of the higher ups in one of (if not the) biggest multiline dealerships in Texas and the South, so potentially I could connect you to get a foot in the door there.

Personally, I'd look at being a dealer/distributor of another product, the simple reason that actually importing things under your own name and creating your own brand is much more difficult than it used to be, but working with someone else who is already established helps to ease the headache.
Thank you for this! I will have a look see over the weekend and reach out to you.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I agree fully it would be easier to be an online dealer like Qsports and TXsports etc. But i was also thinking about starting along with it a dedicated site that is a one stop shop hub for all the aftermarket bits. It would make life alot easier if there were a Chinaridersbikes website that sells direct fit parts like handguards and sprockets and carbs etc complete with a drop down menu for ZONGSHEN>HAWK 250 etc just like a revzilla where kawasaki yamaha etc is on the select menu.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #11

I would look into American Lifan. They had originally wanted to get a network of brick and mortar shops, and do have several, but seem to be mail-ordering through several large online dealers. That have a nice lineup and will be expanding with an 'adventure' 150cc scooter and a 250cc dual-sport alongside their KP200/KPR200 and KPM200 and Lycan cruiser. I have heard nothing but good things on Chinariders from those who have taken the plunge and purchased the X-Pect 200, in spite of its 200cc engine, fuel-injection, standard forks and rear drum brake. With just a 17 tooth countersprocket upgrade (from the 15 stock) and utilizing the 46 tooth rear sprocket, people are hitting 70 mph, and that is with the stock exhaust.

CSC is strictly a brick and mortar shop in the greater Los Angeles area that will ship bikes anywhere in the US and back them up. They don't franchise, but they do an affiliate program from what I understand. In other words, if you join the program, if someone buys a bike from them through you (you act like a salesperson by letting a person sit on your bike and maybe test ride it), you get cash from them; $50? $100? I don't recall, but with all the inquiries you are getting about your TT250, you could make some cash

Peace has a system like CSC in that they will ship and back up their bikes from their Atlanta area distributorship, but do sell via dealers. They might be a good option. However, they don't offer financing, whereas American Lifan does which might bring extra sales in.

RPS is like the whore of the China bike business Anyone and their grandma can be a dealer, but be aware their standard Hawk is technically certified through the EPA as an 'Offroad dirtbike'. NY is allowing them to be plated now, but they could change their mind later on. A few states that used to street register and plate Hawks have stopped doing so; NJ and Pennsylvania are two examples. However the Hawk DLX is EPA/DOT certified as an 'On highway motorcycle'. The good thing about RPS is they distribute for several brands, and they do offer a few of their own quads https://www.rickypowersports.net/

EDIT: Contact Roketa www.roketa.com They will sell you individual bikes (wholesale only). The Bashan Storm 250 is one they carry and has a good reputation like the other Bashan bikes sold via Peace or the BMS 250 CRP.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; 12-27-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #12

CFMoto is also allowing dealerships to sell their bikes and quads now. I know of one here in PA that sells them right alongside their Triumphs, Yamahas, and Hondas. I found this out when my Yamaha broke down on a tour and I had to stop in for parts. They aren't a hole-in-the-wall outfit, either.

https://www.blackmanscycle.com/

Old 12-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #13

Try these

https://gpxmoto.com/ and https://www.ridekayo.com/

if you'd like to sell higher-end dirt bikes and dual-sports.