Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Hawk 250 - Riding Redemption

Well...she ain't no V-Strom..but that's a good thing.

I recently sold my V-Strom due to a throttle issue...in that I couldn't stay out of it. I always pass semi's as quick as possible, seen too many blowouts. The last time I rode my Strom I went to pass a semi and as I swung back around I glanced down and saw 105 on the speedo. As a father of a 3 and 9 year old I was immediately ashamed, and riding was never the same....so I sold it.

Then I read about the Hawk...sounded perfect. Cheap, fun, low speed...

I just got back from a ride and man...it is perfect. I can ride, explore, and do it with a reasonable amount of safety. With 15/45 sprockets I can cruise at 50 and if I twist the throttle almost all the way and give it time to settle out I can do....58.

I know I could fiddle with all manner of things and probably get 65...but I don't need it. For this period of my life, this is the bike I need.

They should market the Hawk as the bike for dads. The dad bike, to match my dad bod.

I love my Hawk.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

Agree, I witnessed a semi trailer tire tread launch once and have never hung out near one since. The thing snaked off into mid air like a rubber band. Scarry to think of that headed for your windshield, or your 2 wheeler.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Agree, I witnessed a semi trailer tire tread launch once and have never hung out near one since. The thing snaked off into mid air like a rubber band. Scarry to think of that headed for your windshield, or your 2 wheeler.
Good point. I've never thrown a tread myself, but I've seen plenty of other trucks do so. In the south, we called them dead alligators, at the side of the road. One time I was coming north out, of Florida, in Georgia and a guy was hanging on my trailer bumper, following too close. Then he swung out, and I could see he had a cb antaenna. So I called him on channel 19, on the chance he was on it. He was. So I said "I see you are trying to read the name of the tires on the sidewall. To save you eyestrain, they are Continentals." Hah-Hah, no, I'm just cruising down the road, on my way to D.C." I said "Well, you'd make me a lot less nervous if you'd either pass me or drop back 2-300 yards." "I make you nervous? Why?" So I told him "You see those dead black alligators lying by the side of the road"? "Yeah, what are they"? "Those are the treads that come off of truck tires sometimes. We are driving at 65. One of those tire treads come off at 65, they'll fly back at you. If you're lucky, they wipe out your radiator. If you are unlucky, the come through the windshield." He passed me, and stayed about 200 yards ahead of me until I pulled off at the South Carolina/North Carolina border.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Good point. I've never thrown a tread myself, but I've seen plenty of other trucks do so. In the south, we called them dead alligators, at the side of the road. One time I was coming north out, of Florida, in Georgia and a guy was hanging on my trailer bumper, following too close. Then he swung out, and I could see he had a cb antaenna. So I called him on channel 19, on the chance he was on it. He was. So I said "I see you are trying to read the name of the tires on the sidewall. To save you eyestrain, they are Continentals." Hah-Hah, no, I'm just cruising down the road, on my way to D.C." I said "Well, you'd make me a lot less nervous if you'd either pass me or drop back 2-300 yards." "I make you nervous? Why?" So I told him "You see those dead black alligators lying by the side of the road"? "Yeah, what are they"? "Those are the treads that come off of truck tires sometimes. We are driving at 65. One of those tire treads come off at 65, they'll fly back at you. If you're lucky, they wipe out your radiator. If you are unlucky, the come through the windshield." He passed me, and stayed about 200 yards ahead of me until I pulled off at the South Carolina/North Carolina border.
Now we have these in Texas, state with the highest wind energy production. You punch it and get on by them asap.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #5

That looks like North Dakota with less green on the sides of the road.