Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

A few questions about buying/registering a Hawk in PA

Literally learned about China bikes yesterday. I've been wanting an enduro for the better part of 10 years. However, the 20 year old POS enduro's are going for $3k+ around here and have for as long as I've been paying attention.

While I like the idea of paying $1500 OTD for a bike, I have some serious concerns based on what I've watched/read about them. I'd like to lay out some questions/concerns in a numbered list and if you are able to answer any of them (or all for bonus points)...feel free to just reference the number(s) you are chiming in about.

Once I feel like I have enough info and if I'm confident in the purchase, I'll pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!!

1. Registration in PA- I saw the other thread where success of registering these is laid out state by state. However, not the actual process. And I know from registering my HF boat and folding utility trailers, PA can be a royal pain to get a plate. What's the step by step process?

2. I see TXPowersports.com talk about tax free/shipped free....even though they sneak in $20 for a lift gate and $30 for MCO/Reg prep. However, in my experience, you NEVER escape the state sales tax when it comes to registration. You still have to pay the tax on the tail end when signing up for a plate or be able to prove you already paid it (via receipt)....no?

3. I see the seat on the Hawk is 35". My inseam is 29-30" and I weigh 180-185. I'm also used to riding an 86 Suzuki Intruder (cruiser). Am I going to be leaning this thing to the point of tipping over just to get balls of feet on the ground or do the shocks compress enough under weight to make it a non-issue?

4. What is the process for getting help or parts covered under warranty from the manufacturer? Is it a laughable question followed by a snickering "good luck" or is the parent company on the ball and striving to make customers happy?

5. I've yet to see a vid where someone gets the crated up bike, puts it together and it starts right up. There always seems to be some guess work, adjustment, and trial/error done to get them to start. So paying the $250 +/- for assembly seems like a bargain for a guaranteed running bike, despite working on cars/bikes for 15 years or so. Is this a smart move or is every vid I've seen just screwing up the process and anyone can assemble these and they start right up?

6. I started a thread on another forum about these. Non-owners said they were junk and advised paying 2-3 times as much for one of the big 4. Owners chimed in and said they ranged in quality/durability from okay to fantastic...what can I expect maintenance to be and how are these kept running well so that my experience can be more in the fantastic category?

7. As I said, I've been watching a ton of vids, but is there maybe one or several that would be very helpful for someone considering purchasing one of these to see for educational/accuracy purposes?

Please feel free to share anything else that comes to mind when considering buying one of these?

Thanks!!