Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #1

register in another state?

sorry if this question is already posted somewhere, if so i was unable to find it.

has anyone had success in registering and tagging their enduro to be street legal by doing this in a different state.

i live in south jersey. i contacted a dealer about an enduro and asked if they knew if it is street legal in NJ. they confirmed it is not NJ street legal as the bike is not DOT approved. the dealer went on to mention they've heard of these bikes being tagged in vermont and south dakota, however.

has anyone here had any hands-on experience with getting tags for their bike from a different state? if so, did you have to physically go to that state with the bike to get this done, or is there a more convenient way that doesn't involve trucking your bike several states away?

thanks in advance to anyone that has info on this!

Old 04-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #2

Never done it personally, but it's done via mail, otherwise you wouldn't find as many people advocating it. I've heard more recently that VT has gotten more strict, so I would advise going the SD route instead. I don't have specific instructions, other than googling "how to register a motorcycle in south dakota". There should be pretty clear instructions available online.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #3

My thought would be that if a particular bike is not approved for your state it might be worth the extra coin to pay more for one that is instead of the headache of out-of-state dealings

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 04-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
My thought would be that if a particular bike is not approved for your state it might be worth the extra coin to pay more for one that is instead of the headache of out-of-state dealings
fair point for sure, but i'm really liking the specs (hp, front wheel size, engine size, namely) of the orion rbx250.

forget new, anything i find with comparable specs is nearly double the cost for a 2008.