Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

99 Kasea Super Mite, ignition system questions

Hi, this is my first post. Just found these forums and thought perhaps someone here has some experience with this. My son received a 99 Kasea Super Mite 50cc 2 stroke as a gift from his older brother awhile back. It was missing parts and all wires at the ignition switch were shorted together.

I ordered a 4 stroke (accident) wiring, key lock, and cdi kit. Got the key wired in where it works. Turns over great. Installed a 4 wire module with heat sink on the case. I think this is some sort of rectifier. Got a new spark plug and coil. I was confused at first about where to hook up the coil but found a two wire plug with a grey and black wire. I could measure across these with a test light and get a dim pulse. I thought this was the coil hookup, but when I touch the wires to the connector, the pulse goes away.

I measured only 200 mv on this circuit so I suspected maybe this was the wrong wire. I found a single white wire hanging and measured power on it and it gives a very bright pulse as the engine turns. Aha! I thought i had found the coil wire. So i hooked the black and yellow wire from the 4 stroke kit coil to the white pulsing wire. the green wire of the coil i touch to ground. When i hook this up, the pulsing goes away and i get no spark. I dont seem to see a cdi box anywhere on this thing. What is the next step? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Ordered a 1 wire coil. signal still drops out when hooked to the coil. I really wanted to get this old 50cc beast running before the swap, but I dont think thats going to happen. Just ordered a lifan 125, clutch cable and lever, and some protaper grips. At least I could find more service info and aftermarket on the lifan, which is a honda lookalike i hear.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

I bet the vehicle is made from Taiwan https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...3e-in-la-area/ RFR means https://www.standardmoto.com/en-sm.htm
Anyway those 2T Taiwanese are based from some Yamaha which PiTA to find parts in reasonable price when comparing mainstream 4T chonda.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #4

The engine on this one does resemble some of the scooter engines i have seen online. It has "long chang" embossed on the transmission cover. New engine and accessories have arrived. If i couldve found a direct fit scooiter engine, that wouldve been cool, but Ive already went the lifan route. Its just a matter of getting started now.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #5

It's alive! Best 50cc atv mod ever was the lifan 125 swap. Mounted the engine using the footpeg holes on the bottom bolted to some angle iron. Had to flip the axle and sprocket hub to get the chain as far left as possible. Dirtbike exhaust fits with little to no modification. Had tap the old kasea thumb throttle housing for the right threads on the new throttle cable. Wiring was ultra simple (color match and hook two wires to the key switch), although I do want to wire in a rectifier and battery for lights, eventually.

The front drum brakes are very weak on this thing. I would estimate they are about 4" with shoes inside. Is there a good way to upgrade the front brakes? Should I just focus on adding rear brakes only? Any good ideas on adding rear brakes? Im hoping theres a cable actuated rear disc setup i can go with. I have been seeing complete rear axle kits for about $160. this includes hubs, sprocket, 210mm disc, but it also requires me to find a foot pedal to control the hydraulics. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thanks in advance!