Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #1

What do you think of the 2007 Jonway MP250A?

I am considering purchasing a 2007 Jonway MP250A for $1000 and I was hoping I could get peoples opinion on this model. It has a small tear in the seat and the latch on the rear case is broken, but it runs and drives great with 2000 miles.

I know VERY little about scooters and hear the many Chinese names are actually the same scooter and it is WAY confusing for me. I hear bad reviews on the quality in some places but wonder if it's the same as the attitude we had toward the Jap motorcycle in the 60's and 70's. Other places praise the Chinese scooters as great for the price.

I hear that the engine and body panels are clones of a Jap model. Is this true?

I was hoping people could respond and give me their opinion on this scooter.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #2

We'll have to wait for someone with a deeper knowledge of that model. All I can tell you is that the engine at least, and judging by the capacity, will be a 172MM made by CF Moto. As Chinese engines go this maker does a good job of cloning the old Honda Helix or CN250 engines, one of the first of the "superscooters". I think that CF Moto make the engine under licence and parts are interchangeable.

The Japanese argument doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned. The bad-mouthing of late 60's Jap bikes was based on ignorance, jingoism or blind prejudice. There was nothing much wrong with early Hondas, whereas early Chinese bikes and specially scooters throroughtly deserved the reputation. They're much better now though.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

The price sounds pretty reasonable for a 250cc.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:44 AM   #4

Great Bike and not a bad price!

I bought my JMStar Moped in 2007 and I have over 9,000 miles on it now. It is a very AWESOME bike to have, I drive over 200 miles some days, AWESOME Bike! If you have any question let me know!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
We'll have to wait for someone with a deeper knowledge of that model. All I can tell you is that the engine at least, and judging by the capacity, will be a 172MM made by CF Moto. As Chinese engines go this maker does a good job of cloning the old Honda Helix or CN250 engines, one of the first of the "superscooters". I think that CF Moto make the engine under licence and parts are interchangeable.

The Japanese argument doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned. The bad-mouthing of late 60's Jap bikes was based on ignorance, jingoism or blind prejudice. There was nothing much wrong with early Hondas, whereas early Chinese bikes and specially scooters throroughtly deserved the reputation. They're much better now though.
As I've spent over 30 years in the Quality field, I feel compelled to offer up a slightly different viewpoint.
The Japanese did not get the ball rolling until Juran made the first of his many visits there. Juran was more or less the pioneer in the field. His team practically invented SPC along with Deming for example.

Small sample from Wiki

The end of World War II compelled Japan to change its focus from becoming a military power to becoming an economic one. Despite Japan's ability to compete on price, its consumer goods manufacturers suffered from a long-established reputation of poor quality. The first edition of Juran's Quality Control Handbook in 1951 attracted the attention of the Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers (JUSE) which invited him to Japan in 1952. When he finally arrived in Japan in 1954 Juran met with ten manufacturing companies, notably Showa Denko, Nippon Kōgaku, Noritake, and Takeda Pharmaceutical Company.[7] He also lectured at Hakone, Waseda University, Ōsaka, and Kōyasan. During his life he made ten visits to Japan, the last in 1990.

Working independently of W. Edwards Deming (who focused on the use of statistical quality control), Juran—who focused on managing for quality—went to Japan and started courses (1954) in Quality Management. The training started with top and middle management. The idea that top and middle management need training had found resistance in the United States. For Japan, it would take some 20 years for the training to pay off. In the 1970s, Japanese products began to be seen as the leaders in quality. This sparked a crisis in the United States due to quality issues in the 1980s.

China will advance much more rapidly than Japan, if for no other reason than scale. When that happens, the remaining vestiges of North America as an industrial producer will dissapear overnight.

I am floored, simply floored at the quality already of a 200cc quad for 500 retail. Compared to the big boys we are getting 75% of the performance, quality, etc for 25% of the price. Astounding.

Darn shame I missed the boat 20 yrs ago

Pete