Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

New Lifan 200gy-5 on the way!

Last Sunday night (2-3-2008) I internet ordered a blue Lifan 220 gy-5 from T-Motorsports.com at a total price including shipping of $1135 ($895 + $240 shipping) to Denver. The internet specs didn't indicate whether the engine was the balanced version of the 163fml-2 or the non-balanced. Frankly it didn't matter to me. The real selling point for me was the TMS internet ad that stated the top speed was 80-90mph. After reading of all you poor saps only getting 75mph, from your identical version of enduro machine, this must be the super duper version, heretofore unknown to us all.
I received an email response from TMS on Monday morning acknowledging the order and another email later that day informing me of the shipping details and giving me a number to track the shipment. I received a call from the freight agent today telling me that the package will be delivered to my office on Wednesday. The MSO and bill of sale came in the mail today. The MSO showing Lifan as the manufacturer was notarized and described the bike as a 2008 TMS200. The bill of sale also gave the model as a 2008 TMS200. So far so good. I'm kind of stoked.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #2

Top speed 80-90?. In a free fall maybe.

Q

Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #3

Re: New Lifan 200gy-5 on the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingdude
The real selling point for me was the TMS internet ad that stated the top speed was 80-90mph. After reading of all you poor saps only getting 75mph, from your identical version of enduro machine, this must be the super duper version, heretofore unknown to us all.
Yes, you are correct. TMS gets their bike from a non-authorized source, and their bike can cruise at these speeds all day long. 8)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #4

Re: New Lifan 200gy-5 on the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingdude
The real selling point for me was the TMS internet ad that stated the top speed was 80-90mph. After reading of all you poor saps only getting 75mph, from your identical version of enduro machine, this must be the super duper version, heretofore unknown to us all.
Yes, you are correct. TMS gets their bike from a non-authorized source, and their bike can cruise at these speeds all day long. 8)
You know this for a fact, or are you guessing? If he was unautorized then he would not be able to supply a certificate of sale that would allow the bike to be licensed in the USA.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #5

I think he was joking about the speed... I also think tms is just making stuff up for their ads... As far as the mention of tms being unauthorized, I think that he means this because they are listed on that lifan.com special notice...

Either way, I think it is probably pretty much the same bike, with the same top speed....

Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #6

Mrhyak, I was joking about the non-authorized situation from that (debated) letter.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Mrhyak, I was joking about the non-authorized situation from that (debated) letter.
Ok.....my bad for taking you serious.... =0
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #8

70-75 is about it. 80-90 on a trailer.

Allen

Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger

Allen
That's a good point, we had my gy6 up to some good freeway speeds... But it was in the back of my brothers truck

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #10

Paperwork fix

This morning, when looking more closely at the MSO and the bill of sale I noticed that the MSO was missing a digit; only 16 digits instead of the requisite 17 as enumerated in the bill of sale. I dropped an email to TMS about the issue. A representative called my office later today to inform me that a new, hopefully correct MSO was being mailed. Despite the initial error, I'm pretty impressed with the response. Hopefully the iron is not a disappointment. I really don't expect it to hit the advertised velocity, but who knows.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger

Allen
That's a good point, we had my gy6 up to some good freeway speeds... But it was in the back of my brothers truck
Jim, what sprocket(s) does the "6" come with?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #12

I haven't checked yet

Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #13

BTW, for whoever might be interested. I called TMS to ask about the availability of the GY-5--in other words, do they have a huge load of them, and will last a few months, or are they nearly out of them. Apparently, they are almost out of them, and the lady, "Eve" was vague as far as if they are getting more in...I took that to mean "no" as they must surely have gotten wind of that infamous Lifan letter. No word on potential replacement enduro, either, but she did try to push me into the 200 sportbike :?

Walking, Dude, I hope they come through with your MSO No, I am sure they will come through for you.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #14

Quit selling them on Ebay...

Gone Gone Gone

Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #15

Culcune: TMS' recent email said it ( the corrected MSO)was on the way but nothing has shown up in the box yet.

Here is an update.

On Wednesday afternoon at the promised time the tractor with a/25 foot or so trailer shows up. I had it delivered to my office so I wouldn't have to waste time waiting at home. The trailer was too tall to get to the office building underground loading dock so the driver helped me horse it off directly into the back of my 91 Suburban. The Suburban's bed was only about a 12" drop from the end of the trailer. The packing carton was undamaged and when I got the package home and opened I discovered no damage to the bike. It sure is blue. The engine was the unbalanced 163fml-2 not the 2M. It has tms 200 decals where the "cool boy" ones should be. Disk brakes front and back. No gold abs cylinder on the front. 17-46 sprockets. The normal instrument cluster: speedo/tach. The assembly was uneventful except after all was put together the headlight and instrument lights would not light. The lights are apparently of the always on version as the left hand switch has only a high/low position and no on/off switch. Is there another switch somewhere I don't see? I checked the multitude of wire connections under the number plate and found none that were disconnected. I am hopeful that once the engine starts they may come on. I can't think of a strong reason why that should happen but who knows. I'm going to start it up do a hard break in as described here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I'll let you know what happens next.