Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Independence VA 8-18 to 21

Heading up from Charlotte to New River Campground near Independence VA next weekend. Another friend of mine who bought a Hawk about 6 weeks ago is going to be there too. anyone else wanna show up for the weekend?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

I MIGHT be able to make it for a quick ride. I'll have to play it by ear. PM me with the details and I'll see what I can work out. I'd love to meet you all and do some riding.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

We managed to have a good weekend. it was humorous that this was a COG (Concours Owners Group) rally, yet there was only one Concours in the group. Everyone was on adventure tour bikes. my Hawk was a bit tiny beside the rest, but it performed fine. It even made it on about 10 miles of I-77 in VA from exit 64 to Witheville. it managed to run 55-60 even up the grades. I tried not to run WOT as much as possible, giving the little motor a break. I had to stop and strip the carb once on the trip to clean out the main jet. no harm and only 15 minutes to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160819_095107 small.jpg (97.7 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Sport Rider; 02-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

impressed, carb job on the fly. nice. must have been running pretty bad to warrant that. did you buy the carb cleaner spray or have it with you for just used fuel?

the carb is easier to get to on the hawk off to the left (correction: right) side it seems from pics. the bashan , it's buried in the center between frame weldments so it's a tip of the fingers job , will pull mine one of these days. i do have the slide removal procedure down although.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 08-24-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
impressed, carb job on the fly. nice. must have been running pretty bad to warrant that. did you buy the carb cleaner spray or have it with you for just used fuel?

the carb is easier to get to on the hawk off to the left side it seems from pics. the bashan , it's buried in the center between frame weldments so it's a tip of the fingers job , will pull mine one of these days. i do have the slide removal procedure down although.
running bad was an understatement. it would idle, but not rev at all. it started bogging down and just quit running. I pulled off at the site in the picture. taking the carb off only involved removing the pod filter, then two bolts to remove the carb. I left the throttle attached and just rotated it over to remove the screws in the bowl. then just unscrewed the main jet. it was plugged with a little bit of crap which I was able to blow out. quick reassembly and she fired right up and ran fine the rest of the day.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Good news! it only takes about 8 minutes to take apart and clean a carb/jets on a bike with a POD filter

I know the HAWK already "has a filter"... but this is why I tell everyone, I would still have an external K&N Fuel Filter on my bike... at least with the K&N filter, I know how many Microns it filters down to...

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Good news! it only takes about 8 minutes to take apart and clean a carb/jets on a bike with a POD filter

I know the HAWK already "has a filter"... but this is why I tell everyone, I would still have an external K&N Fuel Filter on my bike... at least with the K&N filter, I know how many Microns it filters down to...
this is very useful, but at the same time, it eliminates the opportunity to impress your friends with your mechanical abilities.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

az...my understanding---a pod filter is a air filter device at the intake of a carb.

don't understand what your saying. how does having a pod filter save time on removing a carb from a bike? it still has to be removed regardless if stock or pod equipped, correct?

or is this one of those, if you have to ask....
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #9

Depending on the bike/design of the air box/carb/engine mounting setup... it can take FOREVER to remove the carb on a bike with the stock air box mounted to the frame/carb/engine...

On the Bashan;

It was impossible to remove the carb with the stock air box design on my bike... you had to remove the seat, all the plastics (tail light/turn signals and shock plastic mud guard too), unbolt the air box and slide it back towards the rear tire several inches while making sure not to catch anything on wires/fuel lines/frame parts/etc..., finally you can unbolt and remove the carb... total time was well over 35 minutes...

Remove the stupid piece of plastic with the non working air filter (the stock air box on the Bashan in this case)... slap on a "POD Filter" of your choice (UNI 43mm in this case)...

New Total Time to remove, clean or re-jet the carb... is now a total of 3 to 8 minutes depending on if I drop a M6-1.0 nut into parts unknown... only tools I need, a 10mm wrench for the carb nuts, 1/4in socket and some extensions for the air filter, a 2.5 allen/hex wrench and flat head screwdriver for the carb bowl and jets.

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #10

This is good information. I did not consider the fact of physical removal has to be by the way of the airbox. Damm your right pita.

Pic of mine. I might try removal of the cylinder intake along withe the carb. Seem like there may be enough room to slip it by. If I remove this intake to the cylinder do you think it would damage it?

Name:  20160824_200150-640x480.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  67.7 KB

I am getting sputtering a top end in 5th so I may need to pull and clean will still do 55 without sputtering but any faster and it will start sputtering. It has always done this since new but seems to be getting worse. Has about 5000km