Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Hawk Battery

Anyone have a link to a good replacement battery for the Hawk, perferably a sealed unit? I don't have much faith that the battery which came with the bike is going to last very long.

also, does everyone find that the reg/rec is strong enough to keep the battery good when used regularly?

I do intend to keep it on a trickle charger when sitting, but just wondering if a better reg/rec would be worth it.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

Sport Rider no Walmart for the battery. reg/rec is fine don't change. Also we use Walmart brand of oil in our racing bikes, this time of the year ice racing .

Old 02-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

I have never had my hawk on the charger and it always starts. I recently came back from a three week trip and it started right up. As for a replacement this is what I will be using when the battery dies.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B00F9LPIAC
The advantage of this battery if you were to unhook it for the winter it would hold its charge.

The standard battery is a 12v9ah battery.

2014 Hawk 250
Firehawk minibike
Previous bikes~
1995 Yamaha YZ125
1998 Yamaha YZ250
1981 Yamaha YZ465
1987 Honda TRX 250R X2 one stock one modified
2002 Buell Blast
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2000 Kawasaki ZR7

Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitze View Post
Sport Rider no Walmart for the battery. reg/rec is fine don't change. Also we use Walmart brand of oil in our racing bikes, this time of the year ice racing .
I've bought a bunch of batteries from Wally World. The (Jokingly called) "Neverstarts". What I've found is that they are truly susceptible to initial charge and soak time. When they say to charge with no more than 1.5 amps, they aren't kidding. I think even 2.0 heats them up too much. Also, let them soak for longer than they say once you fill them. I guess it has to do with the foam inside. I had to buy a separate 1.5 amp charger just for this and this batch of batteries has lasted far longer than the others I didn't care for as well.

fitze, I've heard nothing but wonderful things from others about the store brand Walmart oil. "Supertech" I think? We have an engine builder up here in our parts that swears by the stuff.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Sport Rider, I've had good luck with the reg/rec on my Honda clones, with only one failure that I can remember. It was such that there was a draw on the battery when the engine was off. Upon changing the reg/rec, the problem was solved.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

thank you for all the info guys. I'm not concerned about it, just asked more for reference. I've owned some other bikes in the past that have had R/Rs which were poor design (in terms of heat dispersion) or poor location and needed to be moved to a location with more air. as we know, heat kills them faster!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #7

2LZ, thanks for the info on the batteries, need to remember that on my next purchase. I only own 2 wally batteries that are about 4 years old for my 750 and 400 Hondamatics.

Yes, SuperTech is the name. Plus it's the oil we use in our big drag bikes for years now.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

The small batteries for motorcycles, lawn and garden etc at my local WalMart are all sealed gel no maintenance. I haven't seen an acid filled motorcycle battery at WalMart in over a year.

Besides I thought everyone was buying these?

http://www.amazon.com/Shorai-LFX14A1.../dp/B0056H6CP4

Although I do like that Battery Tender battery, I am a fan of all Battery Tender products coming from a boating point of view.

/

Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #9

My Hawk battery just died after about 2 months.....dead cell. Didn't expect it to last long and it didn't!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

I left my battery on my bike all winter and surprisingly it fired right up. Couldn't believe it. I figured it would be dead.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrider93 View Post
I left my battery on my bike all winter and surprisingly it fired right up. Couldn't believe it. I figured it would be dead.
Yup, same here, parked both Hawks mid November, left the batteries in, had some Five Below Zero weather over the winter and they were in Cold Storage. Took them out a few weeks ago and both bikes crank right up without issue.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
fitze, I've heard nothing but wonderful things from others about the store brand Walmart oil. "Supertech" I think? We have an engine builder up here in our parts that swears by the stuff.
Nothing wrong with "Supertech" Oil, it used to vary depending on where you live, but you might get oil from one of 3 suppliers, Mobil/Exxon, Warren Oil (TX), or Warren Distribution (Nebraska, makers of Mag 1)

Check out http://www.pqiamerica.com/ for more info on dozens of brands and oil samples.

This link has the SuperTech Diesel 15w40 report http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/supertech.htm

Another plus, buying Oil/Auto products from Walmart... they barely make any $ on those items for mark up, it's one of those inexpensive items to "get you in the store to shop for other huge mark up items"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #13

I have had 3 Vehicles fed with supertech oil(no prob) but then again I change oil every 5000 miles. Good and cheap stuff AZ is right, as long as it meets those certifications , the trick is keeping it fresh. Hell, the synthetic is cheap enough and I use it exclusively on one of mine. I did make sure I found the correct oil for this bike with the JASO motorcycle distinction. How cool is it that it's just Rotella oil

Does Super tech diesel have the JASO cert like rotella?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #14

We'll i was all sold on a deltran battery but after reading how many burned up on Amazon reviews in motorcycles i am thinking i'll look for an AGM. Anyone know of a good AGM battery that will fit??