Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Enduros, Lifan - Roketa - Shineray etc...

To the untrained eye most of these bikes all look like the same but with different names plates and graphics... Are they basically the same or are there noticeable differences in quality and bike design. Is a Shineray GY200 a copy of a Lifan GY200? Is a Roketa GY200 a Lifan GY200? I'm struggling to find exactly what is what, who's copying who and which bikes are the best clones of the Japanese models. This subject may have been brought several times in the past so apologies for being so clueless and for beating a dead horse over again.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #2

There's no need to apologize, Mudd. You have asked a very good question. I own a Yamaha clone, so I am less familiar with the more common, Honda clones (Hondoids). However, some manufacturers have a better reputation that others. Other forum members might disagree with me, but I think all three brands you mentioned are more or less equal in quality. Perhaps some would rate Roketa a little lower than the other two. However, I think Roketa offers better parts support than the other two brands. Check out Roketa.com for parts availability.

http://roketa.com/product/productlist/7.shtml

However, the Roketa parts will probably fit the other GY200 bikes, and many GY200 parts are readily available on eBay.

In my opinion, Zongshen and Qingqi/QLink manufacture/import some of the better Chinese motorcycles.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

For me, Hondoids are Hondoids. Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

For the most part they are assembled from interchangeable parts bins. I don't think the 'brand' matters much. This is not a bad thing though.

Zongs are Q's are different animals.

Indeed the Zong may be the most reliable 200cc bike in the motorcycle kingdom with 42,000 miles and only (mostly) routine maintenence.

Also, knowing Brother Spud, I can attest that those were NOT easy miles. Indeed they were about 80% off road, and in first or second gear at full throttle scrambling up for beautiful Idaho mountainside.

I'd say that equates with an honest 100,000 miles of around town commuting in terms of wear and tear.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #4

I must admit, I think Zongshen manufactures excellent engines. I am particularly fond of the Yamaha cloned engine in my Zongshen 200GY-2. However, the Zongshen 200GY-2 is no longer being imported into the United States of America. :(

Fortunately, Zongshen manufactures a lot of Honda clone engines for other brands of Chinese, dual sport motorcycles. However, I don't know if one can always tell who has manufactured the engine for a particular Chinese, dual sport motorcycle. :roll: I also think Loncin, and Lifan engines are also good. With a few notable exceptions, we have seen very few catastrophic engine failures occurring with the small displacement, air cooled, Chinese engines.

If you examine any of these Chinese bikes in person, you can quickly form an opinion regarding the quality of manufacture. Some of the bikes exhibit better welds, and better parts fitment than others. However, in general, I think one hondoid bike is pretty much equal to another. I think price is the most important factor to consider when comparing the different hondoid bikes.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894