Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

Locating Scrambler style in the USA ?

I've seen some nice CCM and SSR Cafe Racer models that I love but I cannot permit myself to get a model like that because I would tear the low unprotected exhaust off the bike because I want to do limited woods riding. SO, I dont like the modern style off road/dual sport bikes with long suspension and stingers in the rear.... Two bikes I love the style of are Herald and Bullit Scramblers but both are sold in the UK and not the USA. They both have the high protected exhaust systems and look good for road work but could do
mild off road activities as well. I would take some larger displacement bikes...
nothing against power but I really dont think any bike taken into the woods
should be over or much over 300 pounds. The Herald and Bullit models
are around 250cc and less than 280 pounds I think.
Also I am drooling over the CCM Spitfire of 600cc and 313 pounds. Once again in the UK. I dont see why none of the USA sold Cafe type racers dont have the Scrambler exhausts as the mfgr could kill two birds with one stone if they
installed the hi exhausts and lower bash plates for the motors.
Any suggestions for me in Atlanta, Georgia ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg %EJ8_2349-altered.jpg (97.4 KB, 1657 views)
File Type: jpg %Ad Hero Bullit.jpg (100.5 KB, 792 views)
File Type: jpg %%910d6f.jpg (105.3 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg %%262df6.jpg (105.3 KB, 609 views)

Old 02-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #2

I wanted the Bullit as well, not sold in USA like you say. India, China and Europe etc has a much larger consumer market than us so naturally they have more brands to choose from. USA is kinda weird, 5K is the avg cost of a 250 Honda from 1990 up. 4K for 89 and older. I would imagine those bikes you’ve shown would be around the same price here, 4K and up.

With these dual sport China bikes I think we have stumbled onto a very temporary and cheap niche. The Hawk being sold to the college dudes the 2017-2018 is $2,400 before taxes here. That’s 1 grand over what most here paid. The Tao Tao with rear drumbrake is $1,700 here.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 02-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #3

Chiptoothy - Lots of mention of "here" but you never say where "here" is ?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

BTW, doesnt everyone here agree that the top two bikes ( Bullit and Herald )
are the same ? Can we find out who the Asian mfgrs are ? How ? Then
I might find a way to get one here in the USA.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
BTW, doesnt everyone here agree that the top two bikes ( Bullit and Herald )
are the same ? Can we find out who the Asian mfgrs are ? How ? Then
I might find a way to get one here in the USA.
Some info here;

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22012
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 02-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

Our best hope would be www.motorheadgroup.com. David Mullen is a British guy living in China. Motorhead is his father-in-law's company. His wife is the manager or some kind of executive. They need a distributor who will get EPA certification, and hopefully CARB for California. Seems like all the recent fresh Chinese bikes, or upcoming like the Lifan KPM 200 are all cafe racers. Motorhead would bring us a scrambler if we can get them!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

Top two bikes are Qingqi bikes, for sure. Same forks, Suzuki engine, brakes, aluminum swing arm, bash pan as the Qlink, Konker, SSR, etc....

It's the DR125/200 motor as opposed to the TU250 motor in the SSR XF250.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
Chiptoothy - Lots of mention of "here" but you never say where "here" is ?
United States
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 02-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #9

Finding a vintage style gas tank for the dual sport bikes would be 1/2 the work done of having a custom scramble or tracker style CB.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #10

the designer of the CCM frame must have once been
a art deco fan....no straight lines or 90* corners..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

I am also a huge fan of the scrambler and classic from Herald. These bikes are made by Shandong Pioneer Motorcycles, a smaller manufacturer affiliated with Qingqi who manufactures the "XF" bikes for the US and Europe. The closest thing to any of these bikes we have received in the US was the SSR XF250 Snake Eyes Bobber; on paper this bike is the exact same make/model as the XF 250 Dual Sport, which might mean SSR only had to get one bike certified by the DOT, EPA, CARB, etc. SSR did in fact bring one of these Pioneer Scramblers to a bike show in 2017 as a prototype, so you might want to call or email them to show them interest.

I have seen the new Snake Eyes Bobbers going for as low as $1999. Maybe you could grab one of those and give it a scrambler makeover.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...yes-5005543839

Pioneer bikes:

https://xfmotor.en.alibaba.com/produ...45cf3dd8j9ZGfk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSR_SCRAMBLER.jpg (14.1 KB, 1168 views)

Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Our best hope would be www.motorheadgroup.com. David Mullen is a British guy living in China. Motorhead is his father-in-law's company. His wife is the manager or some kind of executive. They need a distributor who will get EPA certification, and hopefully CARB for California. Seems like all the recent fresh Chinese bikes, or upcoming like the Lifan KPM 200 are all cafe racers. Motorhead would bring us a scrambler if we can get them!
Culcune you are the right guy to investigate this. I think that since these bikes are all XF250's or XF 200s on paper, a lot of the Carb, EPA legwork has been done by Qlink and SSR. When I registered my XF 250 both CA and NV, the Dmv couldn't care less that the bike was sold by SSR or that it was a dual sport. It is registered and insured simply as a Pioneer Xf 250. If you shop for a SSR Snake Eyes Bobber on Bike trailer, you will see they are sold as XF 250's as well.

SSR can certainly get us these bikes, but their focus lately has only been on Razkulls and Buccaneers. In my opinion SSR should have skipped the 250 twin Buccaneers and brought in the Herald style Suzuki clone singles that are proven and share parts in common with the dual sport and bobber they were already selling.

If SSR can't get these outstanding bikes here I hope someone else can.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #13

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/defau...=xNewInventory

If it was me id probably go with one of these and make it a scrambler right at 2k brand new plus a true scrambler was never meant to be on the dirt thats why theyre so fun

Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarote9025 View Post
https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/defau...=xNewInventory

If it was me id probably go with one of these and make it a scrambler right at 2k brand new plus a true scrambler was never meant to be on the dirt thats why theyre so fun
They had one on their web site with off road (DOT) tires, still had the low exhaust. Contact them and see if there is anyway to get a different exhaust. I too think a off road scrambler is good.
My wife is likely not going to like the tt250, too hard to get on. I like the tt250. CSC was great to work with. scrambler has the same motor as the tt250. I would contact them and ask some questions. My old honda sl 125 was similar but it had a 21 front tire and 18 rear.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #15

New Scrambler to Drool Over

The ITALIAN FANTIC CABELLARO

DEFINITION OF SCRAMBLER-
HI PROTECTED EXHAUST on a frame with reduced suspension travel compared to Dirt Bikes and Dual Sports. The focus for the design is 85 percent road
and 15 percent off road as opposed to Dual Sports which are dirt bikes made legal with lights etc. and a focus of 85 percent off road with 15 percent road
work. The Scramblers generally are not intended for really ripping and shredding dirt on the trails but rather leisure sight seeing in the woods
and the ability to bounce over large boulders and downed trees that will kill
any low exhaust motorbike. You CANNOT put put through a dense forest
on a 400 pound ( or heavier ) adventure bike etc. ( Enfield, Triumph, Ducatti to name a few ) BTW generally these off road "TANKS" as opposed to
"racers" have bottom bash plate engine protectors and the shift levers
and brake levers are mounted higher to help avoid and are easily replaced when they encounter unplanned obstacles.

Get ready to wipe the tears.... the Cabellaro comes in 125, 250 and 500cc !
All are very lightweight.

See the truth is the vast majority of Americans (or all riders) are NOT racers and enjoy leisurely rhomps through wild spaces. Dont need a 37 inch seat height dirt bike with 12 inches suspension travel that requires a step ladder to climb up. ( my buddy fashioned a stirrup like horses to climb aboard ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caballero Scrambler 500 cc MY18b.jpg (97.8 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (4)b.jpg (98.9 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (13)bb.jpg (89.5 KB, 493 views)