Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

My Last Good Ride of 2010

Looking at the weather forecasts, I knew November 18 was going to be the last decent day to ride in 2010. Therefore, I decided to take a 150-mile ride to the Blackfoot Reservoir on my 2005, Honda XR650L. I anticipated the 60 miles of gravel roads I planned to travel would be muddy; it didn’t take long to confirm I was correct.

Riding westward, I encountered firmer sections of road that allowed my tires to throw off the mud, but I still traveled with circumspection.

Arriving at a bend in the Blackfoot River, I paused to snap a few photographs.

Traveling farther west, I stopped to enjoy the view north of the River, and the distant mountains on the eastern horizon.

Approaching the reservoir, I took a short detour to a favorite vantage point, overlooking a bend in the canyon of the Blackfoot River.

I knew the approach, and exit from this overlook would be muddy.

Exercising due caution, I returned to the gravel road, and upon reaching firmer ground, my tires quickly threw off the mud. Arriving at the reservoir, I paused to enjoy the view. I don’t anticipate getting a chance to ride here again until next spring, when the reservoir is frozen, and the bald eagles, and migratory waterfowl visit the lake.

The afternoon was advancing, and the weather was turning colder; I decided to ride down the western side of the reservoir.

When the road became snowy and icy, I was somewhat surprised. :?

However, the bike handled well, and I knew I was descending toward paved roads. I paused to take a few photographs, and continued riding southward.

Curving around the southern end of the lake, I reached the highway north of Soda Springs. Content with my last view of the lake for the year 2010, I rode the pavement the remaining miles westward.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #2

Its cool that some vehicles, like the BRP, just look better dirty! I hope you theated The Pig to a good bath when you got home!

Spud, how do you survive the winter? I've not ridden in one day and it's killing me. Record cold and snow here. I assume it's similar by you. That said I did ride the ATV last night and it was a lot of fun, even at 14 degrees and blowing snow.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Its cool that some vehicles, like the BRP, just look better dirty! I hope you theated The Pig to a good bath when you got home!

Spud, how do you survive the winter? I've not ridden in one day and it's killing me. Record cold and snow here. I assume it's similar by you. That said I did ride the ATV last night and it was a lot of fun, even at 14 degrees and blowing snow.
The high temperature tomorrow is predicted to be 7 degrees Fahrenheit, with an overnight low of -6 degrees Fahrenheit. I washed Porky the day after the ride; the high temperature was 38 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't enjoy washing the bike under those conditions; however, subsequent high temperatures have been below freezing, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. :(

I don't want to ride an ATV during the winter, because all the mountain trails are closed to prevent soil erosion. All the "low" trails (4,600 feet above sea level, and higher) are mundane, and snowy/icy. :( I would certainly get stuck with my 2X4 ATV. In addition, I don't want to wash the ATV in sub-freezing temperatures after I return home. :evil: Therefore, I content myself to ride my motorcycle when the urban streets are dry, and the temperatures are above freezing. I hate winter! :evil:

P.S. For all the above reasons, I am selling my 2007, Arctic Cat, 2X4 ATV. I much prefer motorcycles. You can see photos of my ATV in the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...arctic+cat+atv

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

I have only seen single digits in GA once. :wink: Nice and warm today. Short sleeves.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I have only seen single digits in GA once. :wink: Nice and warm today. Short sleeves.
:evil:

OK; rub salt in my wounds, Allen!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

Enjoy it ride for us!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Enjoy it ride for us!
X2!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

I forgot about your Arctic Cat, Spud. I'd sure be finding a place to ride that if it snowed, but it's not your thing. I hope you do well selling it.

Get out and ride, Kato!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #9

Well, I have to take the 90 out. Maybe tomorrow since it will be dark before I get home.

Looks like 50 plus for the rest of the week.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #10

Awesome pics as usual, the BRP looks awesome! I'm starting to lean towards picking up a set of knobbies for my killer, that mud you were in would have had me on my side faster than you could blink with my Slipsters on . Hard to believe that I rode to work only 2 weeks ago... Had to try out my new seat! I'm itching to ride again, think it's going to be a loooong winter!

Cheers,
Stew

Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Awesome pics as usual, the BRP looks awesome! I'm starting to lean towards picking up a set of knobbies for my killer, that mud you were in would have had me on my side faster than you could blink with my Slipsters on . Hard to believe that I rode to work only 2 weeks ago... Had to try out my new seat! I'm itching to ride again, think it's going to be a loooong winter!

Cheers,
Stew
Thank you, Stew. I am afraid to say I believe you are correct about this winter; I think it's going to be brutal! We are getting January/February type weather here in November! :?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I forgot about your Arctic Cat, Spud. I'd sure be finding a place to ride that if it snowed, but it's not your thing. I hope you do well selling it.

Get out and ride, Kato!
I have discovered I can go just about anywhere on my Zong where I could go on the Arctic Cat. I prefer the simple maintenance, low cost of operation, and street legality of dual sport motorcycles over ATVs. Also, I dislike loading/unloading the ATV on a trailer, and towing the trailer around. When riding an ATV, I also dislike having to return the way I left, since it is necessary to return to the "mother ship," a.k.a. trailer. :?

I enjoy riding in the mountains on a motorcycle, and getting to the trail is half the fun! I also love to make "big loop" rides, crossing mountain ranges, entering a trail at one point, and exiting at another point, then riding home over a different route. When I want to ride, I roll the bike out of the shed, and off I go. I don't have to hook up the trailer, load the trailer, et cetera. :roll: If the ATV was street legal, I would enjoy riding it much more, but I have discovered I really enjoy motorcycles a lot more than ATVs. I understand why others enjoy ATVs, and I'm not trying to be negative about them; I just like motorcycles much better.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Well, I have to take the 90 out. Maybe tomorrow since it will be dark before I get home.

Looks like 50 plus for the rest of the week.
Enjoy the beautiful Georgia weather, Allen! If you have time, please take some photographs for those of us in colder climates.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:

Cheers,
Stew
Load it up and head West my friend!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #15

Quote:
...I'm starting to lean towards picking up a set of knobbies for my killer, that mud you were in would have had me on my side faster than you could blink with my Slipsters on ...
Try the Kenda, K760 tire on the rear wheel, Stew! The K760 handles the pavement very well on my BRP, even at 85 mph. Off road, the K760 will never let you down; it's a great tire, at a great price. I get my K760 tires from Rocky Mountain ATV; I think I paid $38 for this last tire, with free shipping!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220