Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

Boom Vader 125cc Unboxing/Assembly

Hi everyone,

If you've seen my other thread on purchasing this bike through Newegg, so far I would absolutely recommend purchasing through their marketplace.

I'll post some unboxing pics first, and then start talking about the build.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

Dang it. I'm wanting one of these the more I see them. Is 40 to old to ride one of these???? Lol, I'm not there yet but nipping it in the butt.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #3

Just got my Vader Friday, assembled it Saturday morning and took it for a ride after I changed the oil. The battery for me was the most difficult because there is so little room. Other than that, it wasn't bad. Good luck and have fun with it!

Old 04-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
Dang it. I'm wanting one of these the more I see them. Is 40 to old to ride one of these???? Lol, I'm not there yet but nipping it in the butt.
Its never to late to do the things that make you happy! I'm 6'1" and I don't look too ridiculous on it. I say go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrack View Post
Just got my Vader Friday, assembled it Saturday morning and took it for a ride after I changed the oil. The battery for me was the most difficult because there is so little room. Other than that, it wasn't bad. Good luck and have fun with it!
Yep the battery was a little odd, as far as I could tell the right angled connectors didn't have a logical placement on the terminals. Under the seat isn't very pretty right now lol.

Working on my next post for you guys. I'm trying to document all the little intricacies I come across.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

Alright, here is what I did for assembly:

1. I left the crate frame intact where its screwed into the front axle and attached the rear shock.

2. I then attached the handlebars. The two-part riser system is a bit odd, but seems to allow a smaller diameter handlebar to be installed. Its proving to be a bit difficult to square them with the wheel, but much easier when you tighten the nuts underneath the triple tree.

3. I then stood the bike up on its back wheel while still in the crate's chock and my roommate put attached the front wheel. This is very difficult to do with 2 people, so if you can get a 3rd it will be much easier. There are no instructions for how to arrange the front wheel's parts, but we figured it out eventually. From the caliper-side, it goes:

Spacer - plastic grommet - wheel - speedo - speedo magnet sleeve.

If this is wrong, please let me know. We forgot to put the magnet sleeve on, so I'm going to have to take it apart again.

4. I attached the battery terminals and the left-hand controls. I decided to take the handlebars back off and remove the grip so that I didn't have to completely disassemble the switch/choke module. Electronics now switch on when the key is turned.

5. I added gas, put the license plate from my VFR800 on it (naughty ) and took it around my neighborhood a couple times. First gear vibrates a lot and I'm trying to decide between a 16T or 17T front sprocket as my first performance mod.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #6

I've heard a few guys, including MaxiPadMoto mention that one of the bolts around the swing arm will break unless you replace it with a stainless steel one. Is anyone able to provide a photo or detailed instructions on where its located?

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
Dang it. I'm wanting one of these the more I see them. Is 40 to old to ride one of these????
I've been saying that about the new Lifan Mini--vertical 150cc, 5 speed trans--I am not tall (5'7") so height is not the issue; just the "am I too old?"

With so many of these minis, and Lifan showing a race version of theirs (there is a track-day event in China as one of their press releases of the Mini with several photos) I can envision some kind of low-buck series for these bikes. I wonder if they would make better race bikes than a pit-bike with street tires for go-kart tracks? Honda vs. Kawasaki vs. SSR vs. Ice Bear vs. Boom Vader vs. Motrac vs...(I have seen EPA/DOT certification the past two years for a Taotao mini I think called the Hellcat which has not been introduced as of yet)!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #8

Great job documenting the unpacking and assembly! I ended up hoisting the front of my bike using tie down straps looped over a hook in my garage ceiling.

Look forward to see how you mod your bike and more photos.

cheers!

Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

After seeing your positive experience with newegg I decided to pull the trigger too. Unfortunately they had sold out of white and black, had to settle for blue. I'm east coast so it will probably take significantly longer to get here. Keep your post updated! Interested to hear how quickly they get the title to you.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
After seeing your positive experience with newegg I decided to pull the trigger too. Unfortunately they had sold out of white and black, had to settle for blue. I'm east coast so it will probably take significantly longer to get here. Keep your post updated! Interested to hear how quickly they get the title to you.
Thanks for the support guys! Here are the first mods I am planning to make.

Its having trouble idling consistently. I've tried turning in the adjustment screw on the carb, but it still wants to oscillate between 1200 and 1500 and sometimes dives under 1000 and sometimes stalls. Sounds like the carb is the culprit?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
I am in the Boston area and was able to get mine in about 2 weeks from the day of ordering.

I got the blue one too.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #12

What is the actual seat height on those?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #13

I installed the same bulbs but I notice the light dispersion is pretty bad and it is not very focused so does not help with visibility. Hopefully you will have better results. Let us know what you experience.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Hey guys, happy Friday!

Yesterday the sprocket and carb were delivered as well as a longer gear selector from an old CB.

I took out the master link from the chain and installed the new sprocket. There is quite a bit of play between the sprocket and the drive shaft, but I don't think this will be an issue once its under tension. I'm going to Cycle Gear during lunch today to grab a new 428 chain.

The PZ26 carb is surprisingly well built, but I'll need to order a jet kit so that I can dial it in. Will Mikuni or Keihin jets work in these carbs?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
What is the actual seat height on those?
I think its 29.5", just barely less than my VFR800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismways View Post
I installed the same bulbs but I notice the light dispersion is pretty bad and it is not very focused so does not help with visibility. Hopefully you will have better results. Let us know what you experience.
I don't have high hopes for their visibility, I mostly wanted to lower the power consumption so the charging system has less of a load to support.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a recommendation for upgrading the charging system?