Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

Track days

Ok, so this may not be everyone's forte, but I'm sure a few of us here are track day junkies.

I'm taking the MT-10 back to Roebling in a couple weeks, and road Atlanta in July. Anyone here making those trips?

Also, I'm trying to find time to see if I can sneak the Lifan out there. It'll need new tires, but I have the Bridgestone S20s on standby. I just don't want to get passed up too bad. Lol. I might take it to Roebling, just because.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #2

My wife used to go to the races at Roebling before I met her. These days, she would rather go to River Street.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
My wife used to go to the races at Roebling before I met her. These days, she would rather go to River Street.
Lol. You could always do both.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #4

I want to go to Roebling, River Street and Tybee!

Old 05-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I want to go to Roebling, River Street and Tybee!
Lol. Sounds like an awesome trip! Come on down! I'll go with you!

Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #6

Hate Roebling....more specifically, the people running it. has there been turnover in the past 6 or 7 years? They were nazi's.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Hate Roebling....more specifically, the people running it. has there been turnover in the past 6 or 7 years? They were nazi's.
Lol. Oh wow! They've been pretty reasonable. No gripes from anyone I know. But, most of my riding friends are friends with the people who run it. Over the last couple years, never heard any complaints.

Last edited by Falkon45; 05-24-2021 at 12:16 AM. Reason: I let Swype write my reply without proofreading

Old 05-24-2021, 12:14 AM   #8

Well, was at Roebling this weekend. Saturday was great. Good weather, but the novice group was humongous!! 39 freaking riders, and about 15 of them have never been on the track, with about 5 of them new riders.

Me and a few of the faster guys spent a lot of time waiting to get waived by, because we're not allowed to pass in turns. I built my skills up a lot from my last time out there. Way faster on my bike, keeping the line a lot better, and feeling a million times more confident. The control riders were keeping and eye on that faster guys. They led us and tailed us a lot. I was told I'm following a good line, but I need to get closer to the apexes, and was shown the race line. First day was successful!

Today, I was going to have a bad day, I told myself. I killed my battery at the end of the day on Saturday. Took it home to charge, but forgot to put it in the charger overnight because I had my kiddo with me, and he was more concerned with getting to my house to play with his friend, than actually letting me get anything done for tomorrow. Lol. I'm the morning, the charger refused to charge the battery. I took my syx out to the track as a pit bike, because I'm not waking everywhere. Lol. The string pulled through the handle for the pull start. That upset me. Then, I tried to fill my bike up, but my nozzle for my stupid gas can wasn't cooperating. Things started to fall into place later. My friends pitted next to me let me borrow a battery from a bike they weren't using. I figured out the gas can, and punched a vent hole in it. Then I fixed the syx. It was turning into a great day!

First session,. Absolutely getting it! My lines are tight, I'm feeling confident, body position is feeling good. Mistakes are minimal, and there are only 17 people in novice. I feel amazing! Second session: first couple laps, I'm tearing it up. And a control riders jumps in front, and shows me the line again. Big sweepers are good, but I slow down in the more technical sections. Still doing good. Then, just before turn three, he waves me by, so her can follow me. Cool! I shoot ahead, and get on the front brake a little to shave some speed. But, my foot right is in the wrong spot on the peg, and when I get ready to get into position for the turn, I accidentally hit the rear brake and lock the wheel up. I panicked, and instead of trying to make the turn, I go straight into the grass... I think it'll slow me down. No! Dry hot/dry/hard grass is basically slick asphalt. I figure the sand trap will help... No, there's only six foot of sand in front of the tire wall.

The front of the bike makes a nice long smooch with the tire wall, and I summersault up and over it. All I saw was tires, handlebars, seat, and sky. I land on my back, my right foot comes down evenly, but my left was turned a little to the side. I felt my joints bent in directions they shouldn't, and I think I broke my ankle. It hurts, but not at bad as I think it should. Could be adrenaline. Nothing else hurts. (Back protectors and helmets are amazing!!!)

A few seconds later, I see the paramedics. They do the normal checks. I explain everything I'm feeling. They get me up. I can stand on my leg. Great! Not broken. Oh my god, my bike!! Is it bad? The crash cart already got it. The paramedic said it didn't look bad, except for the broken windshield. I think my fork is bent, but I'm not sure.

Medics do more checks, I say I'm good, and get back to the pit. I see my bike. Everyone is standing around it. It looks good. Dirty. A little coolant from with the reservoir popped off. Broken windshield, missing exhaust bolt, cracked fairing. Fork looks okay. But it looked like the front tire hit the radiator and oil cooler guard. Bike starts right up! No leaks, no smells. Guy running the show said let's get it teched, and get back out there. I'm all for it. Thankfully, it was lunch break.

I'm walking around, talking to everyone, because I wanted pictures or a video. Nothing. Lol. I get the bike teched after lunch, but sit out the first novice session. Second session, I'm back on the bike. Bike feels good. I start hauling, but damn, my leg hurts. I'm making a lot of mistakes. Second lap, I pit in.

Right turns hurt. Left turns hurt more. I rest and stretch a little. Next session, I said I'll just take it easy to compensate for this leg. As I go, I let a few faster riders in front, as to not hold them up. But I realize I'm keeping a good pace, and could go faster. I pick up a little, but my leg is starting to hurt. I compensate with jacked up body position, but I can hold my line. It's ugly, but it works. The control Rider from before shows me the line again for a lap, then followed me for two laps. I got my thumbs up. I'm happy and pit out.

It ended up being a good day overall. Minimal damage to me and the bike. I didn't get spooked from the crash, because I know exactly what I did wrong, and didn't do it again, and I got praise from a lot of control riders.

What hurts: left leg from ankle to knee. Knee is the only joint hurt. All muscles and tendons hurt. Left wrist. Probably tweaked from the crash, and my death get on the clutch and grip. Entire right leg. Riding hard is a exercise. Normal. Stomach muscles... Seriously, you work the hell out of your core when done correctly. Feelings, because First rule of Roebling... "TURN THE BIKE!!!". I failed to do that. Lol

Damage report: left bikini fairing cracked. Windshield broken. Start stop switch broken, and barely functioning. Exhaust tweaked. Tank, fenders and fairings scratched. There's pictures of a few things.

Anyway, here's to not crashing next time!! The ZX-7R is coming out next, so I don't ruin my baby again.

IMG_20210524_000719.jpg

IMG_20210524_000740.jpg

IMG_20210524_001015.jpg

Old 05-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #9

Wow! Hope you heal up quick.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Wow! Hope you heal up quick.
Lol. Thanks. I'm taking it kinda easy at work. Got my knee wrapped up, but I think I should do my entire leg. Lol. Aleve and ibuprofen are my friends right now.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #11

yeah, that's the bad part of taking your "good" bike to the track. I had a set of crap plastics that I put on my superhawk when I went to the track. I also had spare bars and footpegs/brackets. if/when you go down, those are likely to be lost. finding something for your ZX7R might be easier and less costly. besides that, the 7 would be the perfect motor size (to me). I ran 600s and 1000s. the 600 took a lot of RPM work to keep it in the power band. the 1000 has so much torque I was at risk of spinning up the rear wheel and losing it.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #12

Yeah. And, the replacement plastics for this thing is expensive. The Chinese replacement parts are 18 pieces, and over $600. I already have Chinese replacement plastics for the ZX-7R. Lol. Not to mention, the factory replacement parts in my color cost more than the other colors.

750 does seem like a good middle ground. I wasn't happy with the one 600 I rode. I'm not used to staying in the revs, because the MT-10 and the rc390 are both really fat in the middle of the power band. The cbr600 I rode felt funny

Old 07-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Well, I was supposed to be going to Road Atlanta for July 31st-August 1st. Had to get rescheduled because of repairs at Road Atlanta. They rescheduled the event for a monday-tuesday at the end of august. I can't make that, as I need to be at work. lol.

Oh well. I asked for a credit to use later. Looks like I can take my time on finishing the ZX-7R and RC390 now. lol. I wonder if I can hurry up, and see if I can have one ready for my birthday. There's a couple places that have track days on my birthday weekend.

Edit: Also, the chinese fairing kit for my MT-10 is almost $700... and it's 52 PIECES!!!!

Old 07-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #14

Well that kind of sucks but hey, you get some work done on the bikes.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #15

RA is my favorite of the tracks I've done. going through the S's and then up over the hill is a blast. I hope you make it there sometime.