Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2021, 11:16 PM   #1

User CochiseCounty Introl

On some forums, people get upset if you don't introduce yourself, so here I am.

Cochise county is in the southeast corner of Arizona & I live in Northern California, but I have a concrete plan to move to Arizona in October.

And because California charges more for everything and because they frown on some Chinese bikes, I have no plans to buy a Chinese dual-sport until I move.

Until then, I figure studying this forum will educate me mightily.

I have been reading here and there on the web & I was surprised and intrigued that most of these bikes are based on the Honda CD125, a pushrod engine that is typically abused in Third World countries. That & its simplicity draw me.
However, the 50 mph highway top speed bums me out a bit. We shall see.
The shortage & price of used Japanese dual-sports are also important factors.

Hi.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #2

Welcome from the other armpit of AZ, Yuma; not familiar with much of anything east of here as I tend to travel west to the Los Angeles area to visit friends and family. These bikes tend to travel at speeds faster than 50, stock, and with a gear or two swap, and if you are adventurous enough, closing in on 70 mph (those are the dual-sports; street bikes seem to be a bit closer to 70 stock--ask Jerryhawk about his Dongfang bikes ).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #3

Welcome! I just moved out of Arizona. I re-geared my Hawk to do 65 or so on the highway. For an around town runabout, it's just about the best bet there is. I have to say that these bikes are an amazing deal for the price, as long as you don't expect everything you would get from a comparable displacement Japanese bike. This forum (and the members) is certainly a great place to get all your questions answered, along with the questions you would have never thought to ask. Again, Welcome!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #4

Welcome. I geared mine up just a little and itll do 65, but the engine is near redline. However, since I do nearly all of my riding on trails or backroads I prefer having more grunt in 1st and 2nd than top speed. But if I ever decide to take a longer ride ive got a larger front sprocket I can put on. That's the nice thing about these bikes, for just a little money you can taylor them to your needs.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 07-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Welcome! I just moved out of Arizona. I re-geared my Hawk to do 65 or so on the highway. For an around town runabout, it's just about the best bet there is.
I was allowed the honor of borrowing Emerikol's bike last November for our second annual group ride from Surprise, AZ to Wickenberg, AZ (the first ride in 2019 i drove my Subaru Impreza as a chase vehicle ) and with the gearing and carb work (cannot remember if he had some head work, too, but he will chime in with the answer), it made it from Emerikol's home to the starting point on I-10 and Phoenix Freeway 60 at about 65. Then from Wickenberg back to Emerikol's home on the same freeway and I-10.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
...with the gearing and carb work (cannot remember if he had some head work, too, but he will chime in with the answer)
No head work, just a 12T front sprocket, 39T rear sprocket, and a really good chain. On top of that, the stock carb was gutted and all the slag/flashing from the casting process was removed with a jewelers file. From there I re-jetted it, and popped on a pod filter. I also used a rotary rasp on the exhaust weld to clean that up a little bit. Finally I replaced the exhaust and wrapped the header. All in all, it does really well out of the little 250 powerplant.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #7

Welcome aboard!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel