Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2022, 12:55 PM   #1

Tbr7 vs Apollo db-36 for first bike?

I’m looking for my first bike and these are what my options seem to be, with availability being what it is.
Purpose is something to ride around with my son and eventually have him grow into. We are rural folk-everything around us is gravel/dirt, and we have 40 acres of river front, heavily wooded property to play on.
Texas power sports has the tbr7 for about 2k, and Orion has the Apollo for about $2500. Both assembled and tested. To look at them Orion seems to be the more upscale operation but wtf do I know.
I’ve spent plenty of time working on cars and I enjoy it when I’m not under the gun to get stuff running asap, so working on the bikes myself isn’t an impediment to ownership for me.
The big difference between these seem to be the rear suspension, frame and OHC motor-all of which seem to make the Apollo look to be the better bike.

But truth is I don’t know lol. I’m a newb at bikes, and pushrod motors are old and boring to me, so seeing an OHC motor is like a shiny new toy to play with. The frame and suspension also seem to be much stronger on the Apollo but again-what do I know?

So is the Apollo $500 more of bike than the tbr7? Is it that much stronger and have more room to grow regarding mods/power? Are there other alternatives that are available and in the same price range?

Thanks much.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:59 PM   #2

Of the two I think the DB36 is probably the better off road bike. It has the better engine of the two for sure. The TBR7 is a CG clone dual sport bike and is definitely not designed with trails or motocross in mind.

FYI, Orion's operation is actually pretty slimy. I bought an RXB250L from them and got away with it, but I had warranty/quality issues that they refused to address in any kind of reasonable manner and they're consistently pretty expensive. Their staff is rude and their after-sale support may as well not exist.

Another option, look into the X-Pro Titan on Amazon. It should be broadly similar to the DB36 in terms of engine, suspension, and frame but is cheaper than buying from Orion by a wide margin. ($1850 delivered!) The Titan is actually the previous version of the RXB250 that Orion sold up until 2021, made by the same OEM (Nicot) and minus a few trim details -- mainly the adjustable suspension, so I have been told by another member here who owns one.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip on that-but it seems like there are two versions of the Titan, one that looks like a Hawk 250, and one that even uses an Apollo in the ad.

Sucks to hear about Orion, but that’s why I asked! Thanks very much for the info.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #4

The reason to go with the TBR7 would be cost. It's not as good offroad but still decent depending on what you do with it. I spend 75% of my time offroad on it but I'm not hitting any jumps or anything, just driving down trails and single track. If you're anymore extreme than that then look at the apollo.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #5

Don't buy the the TBR7 from TX Powersports. Look here instead: https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/21727
It's the same bike, just a lot less expensive.
Also, Powersportsmax is the company that sells their XPro bikes on Amazon, but their prices are a lot better on their own web site for the exact same bikes.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)