Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #1

Bogging out

My 200cc bike is bogging out when gas is applied. It will idle fine but boggs out over 2nd gear. I have cleaned the gas tank, carb, and installed a new spark plug. Any ideas? Maybe a value or timeing problem?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #2

The only way the timing could change is if the flywheel key was sheared, but that's not likely. It's got to be a fuel problem. What did the spark plug look like that you took out of it? Dark or light?

Q

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #3

The old plug was dark and appeared to be fouled. But I had the same bogging with the new plug. Should I try some high test gas or carb cleaner? What do plug colors indicate?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adouga
What do plug colors indicate?
here is a link to a page with images of spark plugs and what their condition indicates

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #5

Check to make sure the choke isn't sticking. Have you change anything like the needle position, mixture screw, exhaust, air filter lately?

Allen

Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

From the plug link my old plug appears to be ok maybe a bit cold. The bike sat for several months unused. I fired it a few weeks ago and it had the described bogging. I then cleaned the carb, air filter, and removed all wiring that was not need. The bike only has a kill switch on the handle bars. The choke is exclusively on the carb and does not appear to be sticking. I took apart the carb and put it back together as it was assembled. I don’t think the needle position changed because the bike has the same symptoms as before the carb break down. I did remove the exhaust and put it back together, again same symptoms. Maybe something in the carb I missed? What grade gas is the best for these bikes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #7

alot of folks run high octane fuel in their chinabike. i personally run bp 93 or sunoco 94.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #8

I run regular 87 unleaded. Where is the clip on the needle? If you haven't done so move all the way toward the pointed end and you may also need to turn the fuel mixture screw out alittle. It may be running too lean yet.

Also did you run the bike before you stripped the electrics to just the basics? It may be that something ignition related is not correct. ie timing advance from the CDI, but I doubt it if it runs. Really sounds like a fuel starvation problem. If lowering the c-clip on the needle and turn the fuel screw out doesn't help then you may need to put a larger main jet in.

The muffler and air filter are in stock form? You didn't drill any holes in them?

Allen

Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #9

I ran high test gas and adjusted the fuel mix screw. The bike will wind out long and slow but boggs if the throttle is goosed. It seems the motor is missing or it is getting too much or too little gas. It does not seem to like high RPM real fast. It did not do that last year when the bike ran good. I did not adjust the needle yet.

The carb seems to overflow and flood out if the fuel mix screw is adjusted. By the way, what screws are what on the carb. I know one adjust the idle. One is the fuel mix, one pointed strait down? How can I tell if it is running to lean?

What does it do if the C clip is lowered? I would assume more gas released? What if the c clip is raised, less gas released?

The carb makes a click when the throttle is almost twisted completely. Right before the end of max throttle. Maybe a needle problem here?

The bike fired fine before the electrics were stripped. It had the same bogging before and after the electrics were stripped. Would the bike fire if the electrics were wired wrong?

How about the clutch? Could this be a problem? I have adjusted it in and out but the bogging is still present. How can I tell if the clutch is properly adjusted?

The muffler and air filter are stock. No holes have been drilled. Should holes be drilled? Were and why?

Thanks for your time.
Andy