Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2020, 03:28 AM   #1

Hawk DLX Questions

I have five questions pertaining to my Hawk DLX 250.

1. Is it fine that I am putting standard car oil into the motorcycle. It is 10w-30 and sae rated.

2. The shifting lever does not quite fit properly. It wiggles around no matter how tight I make it. I think it might be causing some shifting issues, but does anyone else have this problem?

3. Are the sprockets the same for both the standard and DLX hawk? If so, would it be the 259 front and the 269 rear?

4. This question also pertains to the sprockets, but I cannot find an 18t front anywhere. My idea was to have a street pair (18/34) and an off road pair similar to the stock, maybe a bit more off road. I would have two different chains with the masterlinks that have clips so I could swap them. Does anyone make 18t, and if not does anyone make anything smaller than 34 in the rear? All I want to do is cruise comfortable at ~60mph for the street use.

5. How long is the break in period? I only have 50 miles on the odo, but will 100 miles be enough or should I wait longer to push the engine past 5,000 to 6,000 rpm?

Old 11-07-2020, 04:40 AM   #2

1. No, standard car oil has friction modifiers that can ruin a clutch.

2. I'd need to see a picture/video to tell you much, is it the stock shifter?

3. More or less, just make sure the chain corresponds with whichever sprockets you order.

4. 17t is basically the largest that will fit without grinding on the crankcase. With a Hawk (really only depends based on rear wheel/tire size), the ideal sprocket count is around 17/43. Cruising at 60 would be no problem, but 17/34 would make it so you have no torque at low speeds.

5. That depends on how you break it in, but even then, each motor is different. I advocate a hard break in, using all the rpm available, accelerating and decelerating (engine breaking) constantly keeping the engine under one load or another, not cruising at the same RPM for long periods of time, for the first 100 miles or so, then immediately changing the oil. That will break you in quicker, but no matter how you do it, the engine usually gains power and smooths out over the course of the first couple of thousands miles.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

Another option would be to use the 32 rear sprocket that you're wanting with the 17 front if you have a long trip planned, then switch to a 15 or 14 front for trail riding.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 11-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
1. No, standard car oil has friction modifiers that can ruin a clutch.

2. I'd need to see a picture/video to tell you much, is it the stock shifter?

3. More or less, just make sure the chain corresponds with whichever sprockets you order.

4. 17t is basically the largest that will fit without grinding on the crankcase. With a Hawk (really only depends based on rear wheel/tire size), the ideal sprocket count is around 17/43. Cruising at 60 would be no problem, but 17/34 would make it so you have no torque at low speeds.

5. That depends on how you break it in, but even then, each motor is different. I advocate a hard break in, using all the rpm available, accelerating and decelerating (engine breaking) constantly keeping the engine under one load or another, not cruising at the same RPM for long periods of time, for the first 100 miles or so, then immediately changing the oil. That will break you in quicker, but no matter how you do it, the engine usually gains power and smooths out over the course of the first couple of thousands miles.

1. I just did an oil change and was planning to do another one at 100 miles. Should I drain it and buy some motorcycle oil, or can I leave the car oil in for the next 50 miles without any or much of any damage?

2. It is the stock shifter, I can add a video later.

3. How do you figure out what chain to buy?

Thank you for your response.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
Another option would be to use the 32 rear sprocket that you're wanting with the 17 front if you have a long trip planned, then switch to a 15 or 14 front for trail riding.
Where do you find anything smaller than a 34 for the rear? I looked on jt sprockets and they have from 34 to 56.

Old 11-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I do not know name View Post
Where do you find anything smaller than a 34 for the rear? I looked on jt sprockets and they have from 34 to 56.
Sorry that I can't help with. I was just throwing out ideas. Mine uses a 530 chain and I'm thinking of changing my rear sprocket too.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 11-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #7

It seems like you're looking at sprockets that are for 428 chains. Sprockets have different pitch (size) and require chains that correspond with them. 32t is way too small with a 17t front, unless you're looking at 520 sprockets, in which case 11/12/13 fit. The TBR7s use a 520/530 setup, which changes the numbers. Look at 17/43 for 428 enduro usage, maybe more teeth on the back, depending.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #8

Change out the Automotive oil .Pick up some Rotella T4 15w-40 . It’s not expensive. Read the sticky on the Hawk at the top of this forum section. It has lots of good info.
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 11-09-2020, 04:27 AM   #9

Yeah, even a little while with car oil can kill the clutch. It would be like oiling your break pads, but expecting them to work normally.