Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

Wayyy off topic: I bought an electric car...

Hey all, sooo, had too many bikes in the garage (is that possible?). So, I traded 2 of them straight across for an electric 2014, Fiat 500e with 46,000 miles.

I will say, had only ridden bikes 2x last summer. My riding buddy hurt his back, sold his bike, and my wife prefers I don’t go ride alone. I agree actually.

Kept a street legal ttr125 and a Honda 90... which I’m giving to my sister, lol.

Anyway, first impressions...

these have the same electrics and motor as the eGolf and the eSmartCar. Bosch electrics. that's a good thing. it's German technology, Chrysler mechanical design, Italian body design, Japanese batteries, and was made in Mexico.

Newbie and his electric car first day:

The 2014 Fiat 500e story... It was listed at 6500$. Buuut, I found a guy at small dealership in Eugene (95 miles away, keep that in mind) wanted to trade for 2 motorcycles. The 2 bikes are worth about 4500$ total. In reality I‘ve wheeled and dealed over the last 3-4 years and really only have about 1100$ into them. On top of that, there’s a 2500$ state rebate for 0 emissions cars so I will get a 2500$ check in the mail... so this one should actually cost me negative money... I’ll have a car and about 1100-1400$ Net cash money.

We get there and it’s a painless transaction at the dealership (Mayberry Motors, if anyone wants to know. Seem like good guys. Associated with, or owns, Joe’s Garage). We head home with 95 miles showing, though range super quickly drops as 65 mph down the highway eats up battery (I was driving diesel F350 and son was driving the Electric car). 50 miles out we stop at Rice Hill and find a charger. Car is at maybe 20%. Have to call the 1-800 number. Evidently there’s an App to download. Takes 10 min as lady on phone has to reboot the charger. Then, 40 min to put in about 40%. It’s free tho...

Onward! Get to Roseburg, and again, down to maybe 15%. We find a charger at Fred Meyer but has a car plugged in. Head across town, and find one at Walgreens. Again, a phone call and a different app. This one we download and it charges us 2$ parking fee, lol, but free charging. Weird. Ok, we leave car and go to 5 Guys for hamburger. Eat in truck, since no in-store tables. Wait 45 min., car is charged to 45%.

Decide to head home on backroads and get home no issues, with about 10% charge left. Car is now plugged into home 120v and, has a cool feature of the charge indicator on the front dash, so I can look out the window and see it’s at 3 bars right now. So def charging. Should be at 5 bars, full charge, by noon. Funny and weird car. Def not a highway car for any distance. Drives great, and like new tho. 46,000 miles on it. Just, like having the gas tank always at 1/3. Should be great commuter and super cheap to use. Gotta remember, highway eats up Battery. 50 is a realistic number. 2.5 hours is realistic charge at level 2. Household charge level one is all day, up to 20 hours. When my rebate comes in, I’m buying level 2 charger, no doubt...

Her name is officially Pearl Jetson... little sister to my 2002 Boxster, Pippi Porsche, and our Kia Soul, Hamster. Driveway full of interesting cars! Loving it. A fun article on Mashable sums up my first day experience. “It’s not a car, it’s a hobby that can take me places...”.

Update: day 4. Car is a great commute car for me (I have to drive 4 miles to work and was commuting in my F350. I’ve calculated I’ll save about 36$ a month just at 10 miles a day). Has instant heat, plus heated seats. Super good acceleration. Good radio. Super nimble. Is fully charged every morning and so far, driving to work plus some extra driving... store, dentist etc, is coming home with about 60-65% charge left.

Tomorrow gets a full treatment long distance, of going into town, 20 miles away, and back.
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Last edited by Landsvw; 12-01-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #2

I considered getting a focus electric when the gas prices where up a while ago. My daily round trip to work is 14 miles so I could probably charge weekly lol some day if I can find one reasonable I would like to try one. Also looked at a zero bike, dealer is on the other side of the state though.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Landsvw;350065]

......same electrics and motor as the eGolf and the eSmartCar. Bosch electrics. that's a good thing. it's German technology, Chrysler mechanical design, Italian body design, Japanese batteries, and was made in Mexico.
/QUOTE]

What could possibly go wrong? Sounds like it could be a formula for an international nightmare, if something doesn't work. Good thing you've got very little-if anything-invested. Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #4

Fun to watch the gauges... I’d reset trip B, then, tuck in behind a big truck and got 141.6 mpg. Heheheh
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CE831461-515E-489D-B6B6-781983FB1229.jpeg (69.8 KB, 85 views)
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #5

Normal driving:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AFFABCD2-0D5F-4B7A-A827-9FCD327484E7.jpeg (97.8 KB, 86 views)
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-03-2020, 01:45 AM   #6

I also have considered an electric car and/or bike for my mainly city driving/commuting as I don't often put on a ton of miles. As you said, the biggest issue with electric cars is really when you have to maintain highway distance. Even the best of them have horrific range when you try to maintain 60+mph. Where I live, there is a lot of empty space between population centers, so they are entirely impractical for anything other than around town, which is why you really don't see any electric cars. We also completely lack any real infrastructure for charging, so if you can't charge it at home... you're screwed. Then there is just the price of the vehicles as well. Spending as much or more on a less practical vehicle, with no long distance capability just makes zero sense to me. I won't even get into the winters we have here, and their effect on lithium battery cells, or the drain that a heater puts on said batteries charge.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #7

I’m in agreement with what you said, Megadan... I think amazing battery tech is coming, but right now, it’s marginal at best. Ok, so there are Tesla’s that can go 300 miles and change in minutes. But an ICE car or truck like my truck, which might get 14 mpg, but can drive almost 600 miles, 99% of the time has them beat and the refill infrastructure is everywhere.

Plus, the cost of the Tesla is insane for what a person gets, really. And I’m not complaining about them, but not fooling myself thinking that they are saving anyone money at all. I could drive my truck for 30 years at 14 mpg before I’d recoup the cost of one. I definitely would advise against electric as a primary vehicle.

Now, me and my trade, on the other hand... both my bikes had sat most of the year, with literally 2 rides on the KLX (which ironically goes 85 miles and I will need gas) , and, me just wanting to mess about with an electric car... dovetails pretty well into my life with a 8-10 mile a day commute, no cold to speak of (most mornings about 38 degrees) and just a weird hobby to see what it’s all about. And when and if my 2500$ rebate shows up, I’ll be into it negative money...

This battery tech is probably not ‘saving mother earth’ either, at this time. The process of getting these rare metals, like lithium is pretty sketchy. I’m sure there’s a break even point if we really researched it, but I’m not sure where that is... but, now that I’m into an electric, and a used car not new, the price of electricity in Oregon, made with somewhere around 50-60% hydro or wind is probably better for the environment than my 2002 diesel Ford... at this point tho, to me that’s not what it’s about. If I’m helping good, but I mostly like saving money hehehe...

What I’m sort of hoping is in the next 3-4 years, seeing some ramp up of battery technology, and a way to affordably convert this thing to say, 200 mile range and level 3 charging. I see people doing it already, but it’s like 8000$ and that’s again, a ridiculous price for what it is. I need a wrecked ‘something’, much newer with similar shaped (well, not shaped but designed battery innards so I can make my own pack) batteries. For the right price... some info has said that the BMW i3 has very similar shaped batteries, but each is about 3x more powerful for the same size. Since the cars share the same electric motors and etc (Bosch), a battery pack rebuild with the higher power battery cells is totally doable except for the price.
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #8

The only way to truly make electric vehicles as capable and convenient as a ICE powered vehicle, outside of the previously mentioned range issues at high speed, would be to have battery systems that could be swapped out in a matter of a few minutes and charged while not in use. I won't even go into the practicality nightmare of that whole scenario.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

So far, loving Pearl Jetson the electric car! Instant heat and heated seats is pretty much a bonus on a cold morning. I did a semi permanent charging station by drilling a hole in my shop wall and feeding the charge cord outside of it. Eliminates anyone trying to steal it and keeps it out of the weather. Did a 50+ mile round trip with E to spare! Lol. And, Big D, the diesel truck doesn’t have to be cranked every day and do a 5 mile trip. Anyhoo, I’ll miss the oil and filter changes, air filter changes, transmission filter changes... NOT. Heheh! Have a Good Friday and a better weekend, all!
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

[QUOTE=minimac;350111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landsvw View Post

......same electrics and motor as the eGolf and the eSmartCar. Bosch electrics. that's a good thing. it's German technology, Chrysler mechanical design, Italian body design, Japanese batteries, and was made in Mexico.
/QUOTE]

What could possibly go wrong? Sounds like it could be a formula for an international nightmare, if something doesn't work. Good thing you've got very little-if anything-invested. Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

I think you’ll find that almost every car is like that now days...
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #11

It starts with an electric car, moves up to a vegan diet - and before you know it you'll be spending too much time in public men's rooms with anonymous gatherings. You left coast guys seem very susceptible!

Old 12-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
It starts with an electric car, moves up to a vegan diet - and before you know it you'll be spending too much time in public men's rooms with anonymous gatherings. You left coast guys seem very susceptible!
Hahaha! Oh no, wife actually is eating veggies only now...
She does have Lupus so hopefully it will be a less pain diet.

We are far enough south of Portland and Salem, to, hopefully avoid the leftcoastedness they seem to have.

I wonder if a gun rack will fit in the back window of my Fiat?

Thanks for the funny!
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #13

I hope the electric Fiat serves you well, Landsvw.
-I have considered an enclosed trike, like the Electrameccanica Solo. They are currently being delivered to customers in Canada, but the company is not doing so well, financially. they were selling for 15grand or so.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #14

I took wife for a longer ride, and let her drive it on Saturday. She said she now wants to steal it from me, lol! And make me drive her Kia Soul, which is actually a really good car. But, I think the range and charging time would make her crazy. We calculated our 18 mile drive cost us 36 cents, vs what our truck would have cost... 3.24$. The Kia would have cost us 1.82$. Hmmmm I’m liking this... except the wife stealing my car part...

1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 12-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #15

I took wife for a longer ride, and let her drive it on Saturday. She said she now wants to steal it from me lol! Make me drive her Kia Soul, which is actually a really good car. But, I think the range and charging time would make her crazy. We calculated our 18 mile drive cost us 36 cents, vs what our truck would have cost... 3.24$. Hmmmm I

I took wife for a longer ride, and let her drive it on Saturday. She said she now wants to steal it from me lol! Make me drive her Kia Soul, which is actually a really good car. But, I think the range and charging time would make her crazy. We calculated our 18 mile drive cost us 36 cents, vs what our truck would have cost... 3.24$. Hmmmm I’m liking this! Except for the wife stealing my car part.

Is anyone noticing a glitch, where The Whole message doesn’t get sent ? Note the top part of this
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

Last edited by Landsvw; 12-06-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Glitch in the system