Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #1

Heads up! Caution! Read This Post!

About a month ago (April 29, 2017), MotoCheez posted a video on YouTube about a fellow Hawk owner whose rear wheel came apart. Actually, the sprocket studs pulled out of the wheel and the bike was low miles.

I had the same thing happen to me today! I received my Hawk on 25 February, 2017, so it's the newer model with the black rims. It has never been abused. It has only 31 miles on it! I think the fastest I've had it up to was 40 mph! I've been riding it around my neighborhood to break it in gently. I have been checking all the bolts, spokes, fluid levels and tire pressure, before all 3 rides I've taken it on.

Today, I rode around the neighborhood and then took a backroad, close to the Gulf of Mexico. The road is a little two lane, blacktop that runs through the marsh and has some sharp turns. I was going about 25-30mph, heading into a sharp right hand turn when I felt the back end bouncing around. If you could pick the worst possible time to have a rear tire lock up, that's on the top ten list! I managed to keep the bike up, but my ankle is killing me, and I had boots on!

Luckily, the damage was limited to the rear wheel, the swing arm and the chain guard. I haven't checked the chain and sprockets yet, so they might need to be replaced too!

Be safe out there!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 05-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #2

Just out of curiosity, is the snap ring that holds the sprocket still in place? The studs are just part of the kush drive and are only pressed in. They have a flat spot that sits against the back of the sprocket to hold them in place so they dont come through the sprocket. So, either those failed or the big snap ring came off
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-22-2017, 01:49 AM   #3

Kinda makes a guy be very sure that they have a good, proper sized pair of snap ring pliers, they don't over-spring that snap ring and they make damn sure it's properly seated. That's on my inspection checklist before a ride.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Kinda makes a guy be very sure that they have a good, proper sized pair of snap ring pliers, they don't over-spring that snap ring and they make damn sure it's properly seated. That's on my inspection checklist before a ride.
That is why I was asking. I've seen a few videos now where people have removed the snap ring using screw drivers and not snap ring pliers. Or, even if snap ring pliers are used, they are most likely over extending the ring. In either case, the snap ring is either bent, or stretched, and will never seat properly. Not saying that there isn't a chance the snap rings are a low quality or in some way improperly set from the factory, but I sure would love to know what is going on to cause these failures.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Our Brozz must be setup completely different then. We just have plain bolts that go threw the hub. (nut side out). I put red loctite on mine during my build.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

The Day After

Hey JeremyC and Megadan - it looks like it was the clip that came off and the damage followed. I can't tell if it was a bad clip or if it was the mating surface on the hub. As for tools, I don't use cheap tools. I've busted enough knuckles over the years to even look at cheap tools!

When I rebuild my Hawk, I will shop around for a superior clip. I will check at Fastenal. They usually have good stuff. Along with that, I'm going to replace the spokes with higher quality and maybe go to aluminum rims.

Does anyone know of a good source for clips, spokes and aluminum rims?

Thanks and be safe out there!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...

Old 05-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
About a month ago (April 29, 2017), MotoCheez posted a video on YouTube about a fellow Hawk owner whose rear wheel came apart. Actually, the sprocket studs pulled out of the wheel and the bike was low miles.

I had the same thing happen to me today! I received my Hawk on 25 February, 2017, so it's the newer model with the black rims. It has never been abused. It has only 31 miles on it! I think the fastest I've had it up to was 40 mph! I've been riding it around my neighborhood to break it in gently. I have been checking all the bolts, spokes, fluid levels and tire pressure, before all 3 rides I've taken it on.

Today, I rode around the neighborhood and then took a backroad, close to the Gulf of Mexico. The road is a little two lane, blacktop that runs through the marsh and has some sharp turns. I was going about 25-30mph, heading into a sharp right hand turn when I felt the back end bouncing around. If you could pick the worst possible time to have a rear tire lock up, that's on the top ten list! I managed to keep the bike up, but my ankle is killing me, and I had boots on!

Luckily, the damage was limited to the rear wheel, the swing arm and the chain guard. I haven't checked the chain and sprockets yet, so they might need to be replaced too!

Be safe out there!
I would immediately call where ever you bought it. Warranty is only 90 days on bike, other than engine...ARH

Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
That is why I was asking. I've seen a few videos now where people have removed the snap ring using screw drivers and not snap ring pliers. Or, even if snap ring pliers are used, they are most likely over extending the ring. In either case, the snap ring is either bent, or stretched, and will never seat properly. Not saying that there isn't a chance the snap rings are a low quality or in some way improperly set from the factory, but I sure would love to know what is going on to cause these failures.
I agree....Sometimes necessity dictates making due with the tools on hand but with EBay and Harbor Freight cheap pair of snap ring pliers is really well within reach for all. Those little rings are critical and must be properly installed and operational.

Glad to see you weren't injured...great safety tip......

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Is it worth putting a dab of JB weld to hold it put?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Is it worth putting a dab of JB weld to hold it put?
I can only speak from my experiences....JB works great when it works...but when it fails its a real shitshow.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #11

Ok how about a little tack weld? I don't mind a little grinding if I need to remove it but the last thing I want is a rear wheel lockup at speed, around a corner.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #12

Retaining compound or a thin safety wire through the eyelets of the ring would probably be sufficient. It's your bike, so do as you wish with it. Just keep in mind that those snap rings are spring steel, and high heat from a weld can weaken or even ruin that springy nature.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Retaining compound or a thin safety wire through the eyelets of the ring would probably be sufficient. It's your bike, so do as you wish with it. Just keep in mind that those snap rings are spring steel, and high heat from a weld can weaken or even ruin that springy nature.
Very good point here on snap-rings. I like the idea of thin safety wire through the eyelets. Snap-rings are either made of heat treated spring steel, or a special alloy steel. Even a tack weld can over heat and soften them. Make sure the snap-ring groove in the hub is clean, and has no burrs, or other impedamentia in the groove...ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 05-24-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Old 05-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #14

Safety wire is a really good idea in my opinion. I may do that if my bike has a snap ring.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #15

Good idea!

I think I'm going to use safety wire when I put my Hawk back together. My dad was an aviator in the Coast Guard. They safety wired everything in the helicopter.

Have a great day!