Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2021, 08:51 PM   #1

Need throttle to start

When the engine is fully warmed up I wanna be able to press the starter button and have it run on idle without needing to open the throttle each time. I can’t do that now.

A previous post on this issue resolved it by changing to a non resistor plug. The Torch plug that came with it is resistor I believe so not sure that’s the answer. I put in an E3.36 resistor plug on day one..

My bike is a 2020 Hawk 250. I’m at 5100 ft. And haven’t made any mods to the carb, exhaust, etc. it runs perfectly except for this one issue.

Any ideas about how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2021, 11:04 PM   #2

You say it runs perfect otherwise so I interpret that to mean once it is started it idles well? The issue sounds to me like a carburetor adjustment or jetting issue. It may be as simple as an Pilot jet idle mixture adjustment. I would open up the carburetor to see what are the jets and gain access to the fuel screw for adjustment. I would try a Pilot jet mixture adjustment and that should tell you whether the Pilot jet you are using at your elevation is correct or whether you need to consider a different pilot jet. A properly adjusted carburetor when warmed up should start immediately upon pushing the start button.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:12 AM   #3

It sounds like it's possible that the idle speed needs adjusting? Also, it would help to get rid of the E3 plug and get a real plug, like an iridium ngk spark plug.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
You say it runs perfect otherwise so I interpret that to mean once it is started it idles well? The issue sounds to me like a carburetor adjustment or jetting issue. It may be as simple as an Pilot jet idle mixture adjustment. I would open up the carburetor to see what are the jets and gain access to the fuel screw for adjustment. I would try a Pilot jet mixture adjustment and that should tell you whether the Pilot jet you are using at your elevation is correct or whether you need to consider a different pilot jet. A properly adjusted carburetor when warmed up should start immediately upon pushing the start button.
It idles nicely at around 1500 rpm when fully warmed up. It pulls very smoothly and strong at any rpm, so should I focus on the idle mixture adjustment? Maybe it's too lean? Are more turns out richer or leaner? - Thanks!

Old 05-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
It sounds like it's possible that the idle speed needs adjusting? Also, it would help to get rid of the E3 plug and get a real plug, like an iridium ngk spark plug.
Thanks for the suggestion. It idles strong at 1500 rpm (+ or -). Yeah, I'm kind of weird about spark plugs. I use Denso or NGK iridium plugs in my 2 Hondas (v6 and l4) and 1 MB v6 (2 plugs per cyl) cars for longevity and because I know the spark is exactly where it needs to be in the head for optimal ignition and emissions control, but in my old Miata I use copper plugs. They seem to work better and they are cheap and easy to replace. The spark pattern on the iridium plugs just seems so puny to me. I'm trying out the E3 with it's big spark pattern and so far it's working awesome. Resistance is given at 4k ohms. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

Did you check th valve lash?
If it's not valve lash I'd try adjusting idle mixture.

While spark plugs aren't near as controversial a subject here as oil and octane, theres still some that seem to think that one is much better than another. I think any brand name plug thats clean, not worn down or damaged in the proper heat range and the gap is pretty close all work about the same. Having said that, I tried the e3 plug and it works fine. Been using it hundreds of miles. I noticed an immediate improvement , but its because my bike had fallen over a landed just right and broke my other spark plug. Lol
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 05-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slofun View Post
It idles nicely at around 1500 rpm when fully warmed up. It pulls very smoothly and strong at any rpm, so should I focus on the idle mixture adjustment? Maybe it's too lean? Are more turns out richer or leaner? - Thanks!
A fuel screw which is what PZ30 has, turning in or clockwise reduces fuel leaning mixture and out enriches. Look at some pilot tuning info to see how a pilot is adjusted between 1 and 2 turns out which determines correct pilot size but given what you've said your pilot should be close and maybe just small tweak of mixture.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
A fuel screw which is what PZ30 has, turning in or clockwise reduces fuel leaning mixture and out enriches. Look at some pilot tuning info to see how a pilot is adjusted between 1 and 2 turns out which determines correct pilot size but given what you've said your pilot should be close and maybe just small tweak of mixture.
I think you are right. I took off the stock carb, picked out the black plastic cover over the idle air mixture screw. It was set to 1 1/4 turns open. I opened it another 1/2 turn and now it starts right up to idle.

Is this what you were saying I should do?

Old 05-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #9

Sounds like you got it! Sounds like it was slightly lean which caused it to have trouble starting. The best way to adjust the pilot mixture is while the engine is running but that is very difficult as you know given the bottom location. They do make a tool (90 degree adjustment) that helps. Here is a video that gets at
the ideal.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #10

Helpful video! Thanks for everyone’s help!!