Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

Lifan X-pect Parking Spot Development

Well this sucks. Emotional post.

I just worked my ass off for weeks on end without a day off. I also fit in taking care of my gauges from a different thread.

I replaced a fuse and took apart and dried the gauges. They still have a tiny bit of condensation inside. I thought I had things fixed.

I got all geared up to ride today (which involves finding a parking spot somewhere then spending half an hour getting the bike off its rack). This was my first day off in weeks.

I rode around the parking lot and went to double check that I locked the RV. Stopping close to the RV involved another acceleration G force to the right side in the handlebars/forks.

The bike f’n died again!!!

Shorted out.

So I think I need a new gauge set. It’s pretty corroded inside. It’s got black spots where it was shorting, but I thought I had it well dried out.

Big Problem

American Lifan (kpmotoclub) won’t return my emails asking if they have the part in stock and the voicemail to Mike Turber is full and just hangs up on you.

Also, the dealer locator on their website is broken.

This is the part I need. The “meter.”
https://kpclubusa.com/collections/x-.../meter-cable-1

So I’m assuming I can’t get this part and my bike is done.

Is there any hope? I’m emotionally pretty down right now because I had been looking forward to this day off and ride for weeks.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #2

Before jumping the gun, did you try just unplugging the cables to the gauge cluster and starting it/riding it around? Obviously after replacing whatever fuse popped.

Every one of these Honda clones I've ever taken apart is perfectly content to run with no gauge cluster plugged into it at all. That should be able to help isolate if the issue is within the cluster somewhere (maybe worth taking it apart in detail, maybe not) or elsewhere in the harness.

If I were you I'd just source a compatible yum-cha Chinese aftermarket gauge cluster. The plugs and pinouts for most of these Chinese Honda derivatives are similar if not identical. No sense in waiting for the original importer to finally (if ever) get back to you, especially if you're out of warranty anyways. My cursory trolling of Google indicates that the cluster is the same (or at least compatible with) ones for the Hawk. Those are thick on the ground. I'm sure a member here who has done it can tell you which ones are decent and which ones are crap.

Also, if you replace the thing entirely you're going to wind up with your mileage being wrong no matter what, i.e. starting over from zero. The mileage is stored in the gauge cluster since these bikes do not have an ECU.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #3

Those are some pretty good ideas. I was kind of hoping that maybe the connector is common to a lot of different gauge sets. With the same pin outs. But I have no idea about any of that. Hoping someone here does know.

And no. I haven’t tried running it without the gauges again since the fuse popped a few minutes ago. I definitely did start it up without the gauges while I was cleaning/drying things a while ago and it worked.

Maybe I could just ride it without gauges for a while until something comes in?

Back to the good old days? Just riding by feel? Lol

Old 12-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #4

I'm sure the digital speedometer for the Hawk or TT250 would probably work. https://cscmotorcycles.com/zt3-107a-...2018-up-tt250/
https://www.amazon.com/Speedometer-C...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #5

Just like to point out the Lifan X-Pect does have an ECU, and I hope it does not interfere with the ignition system as I am sure that the ECU also is the CDI. I am not too happy about the spare part problem and hope it gets sorted other wise although it has been good to me I would not recommend it if spares are going to be difficult to find.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
Just like to point out the Lifan X-Pect does have an ECU, and I hope it does not interfere with the ignition system as I am sure that the ECU also is the CDI. I am not too happy about the spare part problem and hope it gets sorted other wise although it has been good to me I would not recommend it if spares are going to be difficult to find.
Hmmm. I’m not sure if it interferes with the ignition system, but I can tell you than when the gauge cluster blows one of the fuses, everything involving electrons on the bike dies along with it.

No starter
No spark
No gauges
No display
No turn signals
No horn
Nothing involving electrons

The bike will run if I replace the fuse and disconnect the gauges. I may do as suggested above and ride it with no gauges a bit to isolate the problem.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #7

I might try disconnecting the panel at the two input connectors, one at time, but it does flash ECU trouble codes so that is different than other instrument panels. Also look at main fuses, two with two separate power feeds in the owners manual wiring diagram. The blown one will tell which circuit is causing that particular short at that time. EFI stuff seems to be split between the two feeds.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 12-03-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
Just like to point out the Lifan X-Pect does have an ECU

Somehow I forgot the X-Pect is fuel injected. You are correct.

Even so, the mileage is not stored in it to my knowledge. The brain box handles fuel, air, and spark only on these little engines. Even on name brand expensive "real" bikes the mileage is stored in the gauge cluster which is an endless source of headaches for people who would prefer not to have a "not actual mileage" waiver follow them around on their title for the life of the vehicle.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

I didn't see your post before I posted. Good to see it running. You might then get another display to work because the speedometer drive gear looks very similar to others and think that is one of those two connectors so could be plug and play.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #10

I think Lifan America reads this forum.

Now they got back to me, have it in stock and I’ve already ordered the replacement part.

Whew! A huge relief.

It’s basically plug and play to hook up the OEM unit. Won’t take up any time, really. I’m glad to be getting the OEM unit because the shape it needs to fit into has very minimal clearance. I’ll run it with no gauges between now and when they arrive to make sure it’s not something else shorting out too.

This should hopefully put and end to the problems and will tell if it’s a Lifan deficiency or a Boatguy deficiency. I’m thinking it’s the latter. I can preserve my “riding 100% stock with zero maintenance other than routine “ record attempt.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #11

Guess Lifan has a stake in the streak too!

Old 12-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #12

The new gauge set is in.

Take a look at the bag. Genuine Lifan parts. I feel like that’s kind of cool the same way as genuine Honda parts are.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #13

Well di it work?

Old 12-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #14

That was quick. When they found out you were a big hitter on China Riders they got right on it!

Old 12-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
That was quick. When they found out you were a big hitter on China Riders they got right on it!
Ha ha ha.

China Ryderz Heavy Hitters Gang. Ha ha ha.

I’ll install it tomorrow.

I’m sure it’ll work because the bike is working perfectly right now with no gauges or displays. It’s just got an empty wiring harness in a ziplock with a rubber band and I’m riding it everywhere.

Not sure what the story is on getting stopped for speeding when you have zero instruments. Luckily that’s not a problem since the x-pect isn’t too speedy on the top end. Lol