Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

My 2020 Kayo T4

So after much debate and consideration of many different bikes, I decided on the Kayo T4! Just brought it home today from a local dealer. With taxes and them registering it etc.... $3570. I have a link to more detailed photos in another thread if interested but for now i'll attach the first 2 i've take with it home and here in my driveway.

I've already ordered an H4 led headlight bulb, handguards, and a 4 degree flywheel key from Joe Henner. Short-term plans are to modify the airbox and rejet and then go up to either a 14t or 15t front sprocket. Down the road I may end up doing the thin head gasket as well as big bore kit and cam from Joe Henner. Until then....... I'll try and report back.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

Thank you for taking the Kayo challenge!! Looks better in your pictures than the site's pictures.

Will you leave it bone stock during break-in? I would be very curious how it performs from stock. On a thread from someone deciding between an Orion RXB and a Brozz Recon, someone mentioned the RXB not having a rack because it is more dirt bike than street. Interesting that the Kayo (and the Pitster XTR) have racks and I would consider them in the same vein as 'dirt bikes' like the RXB.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Thank you for taking the Kayo challenge!! Looks better in your pictures than the site's pictures.

Will you leave it bone stock during break-in? I would be very curious how it performs from stock. On a thread from someone deciding between an Orion RXB and a Brozz Recon, someone mentioned the RXB not having a rack because it is more dirt bike than street. Interesting that the Kayo (and the Pitster XTR) have racks and I would consider them in the same vein as 'dirt bikes' like the RXB.
I probably will leave it stock during break-in. Yeah, that's what i like about this model and the XTR.... really wanted a rack and didn't want to settle for a more 'cruiser-ish dirtbike'. I was really actually pretty close to going for a used Kawasaki KLX250 but it's around 309lbs and i wanted light as possible. I would guess that the T4 comes in around 250-260ish with liquids.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #4

Congrats and thanks for taking the leap! I'll be watching your thread with much interest.
After all, that's what we CA folks do here for torture. Watch others enjoy all the new offerings we can't buy! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #5

Just an update....coming up on 200 miles ridden on the bike and so far so good. I've got a little 'stiction' in the front forks but that's about it. I've added handguards, USB charging port, H4 led headlight bulb, mini LED lightbar and I've also opened up the airbox a bit and rejetted to 130/42. I also have a 4degree flywheel key, 14t front sprocket, and Tusk Dsport rear tire that I've yet to install.

Took it trail riding last weekend and had a blast! loved launching out of corners and rode most of the day in 2nd gear with the occasional quick switch into 3rd. The bike pulls in all gears including 6th....and uphill. Road riding is probably what you would expect from a dirt bike....not all that smooth but i don't mind it. The rear tire(softer compound) concerns me a bit and I could feel the knobbies shifting/flexing so I order the stiffer and harder compound Tusk Dsport tire to hopefully help.(should see longer treadlife too). Looking forward to also getting my 14t front sprocket put on to help make 1st gear a little more usable and to also lower my RPM's on the road.

I've got some pics in my profile album if interested.
http://www.chinariders.net/album.php?albumid=365

Old 08-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Watch others enjoy all the new offerings we can't buy! ;-)
The Kayo T4 has California Red Sticker approval, as well as several models of Pitster Pro (including their T4 and that 140/190cc mini-enduro bike). You just can't use the bikes on the road or certain times of year. I would blame it on Gov. Nuisance and sign the recall...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Dragon View Post
Just an update....coming up on 200 miles ridden on the bike and so far so good. I've got a little 'stiction' in the front forks but that's about it. I've added handguards, USB charging port, H4 led headlight bulb, mini LED lightbar and I've also opened up the airbox a bit and rejetted to 130/42. I also have a 4degree flywheel key, 14t front sprocket, and Tusk Dsport rear tire that I've yet to install.

Took it trail riding last weekend and had a blast! loved launching out of corners and rode most of the day in 2nd gear with the occasional quick switch into 3rd. The bike pulls in all gears including 6th....and uphill. Road riding is probably what you would expect from a dirt bike....not all that smooth but i don't mind it. The rear tire(softer compound) concerns me a bit and I could feel the knobbies shifting/flexing so I order the stiffer and harder compound Tusk Dsport tire to hopefully help.(should see longer treadlife too). Looking forward to also getting my 14t front sprocket put on to help make 1st gear a little more usable and to also lower my RPM's on the road.

I've got some pics in my profile album if interested.
http://www.chinariders.net/album.php?albumid=365
Thank you for the update. My guess is if you used more dual-sport type tires, the bike might be enjoyable on the road? What is the stock gearing of the bike (front and rear sprockets)? It is interesting that this bike comes stock with 6 gears vs. the 5 found on every other Chinese dual-sport. How is the seat? I do know that the few reports we have gotten from Pitster Pro owners who have purchased the PP T4, they complain about the very uncomfortable seats the bike comes stock with. Just wondering if Kayo improved their bike's seat...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #8

Yes! Thanks for the update and pics!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Thank you for the update. My guess is if you used more dual-sport type tires, the bike might be enjoyable on the road? What is the stock gearing of the bike (front and rear sprockets)? It is interesting that this bike comes stock with 6 gears vs. the 5 found on every other Chinese dual-sport. How is the seat? I do know that the few reports we have gotten from Pitster Pro owners who have purchased the PP T4, they complain about the very uncomfortable seats the bike comes stock with. Just wondering if Kayo improved their bike's seat...
Got the Tusk tire put on and already I do feel more confident on the road. Stock gearing was 13/45.

The seat is ok...it's fairly squishy. I think the biggest factor with seat comfort is shape/rider position and for me there seems to be a bit of a sweet spot on this seat.

In other news, my front forks are not smooth and are sticking some.....I'm emailing Kayo to hopefully get fixed.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #10

I like the looks of the KAYO, it seems very similar to my Orion RXB 250L . There are some minor differences but i wouldnt be surprised at all to learn they are made by the same MFG in china , i think Moto-X is who supplies ORION the RXB's but i know they are also

building for a few other Brands.The Orions have a fairly solid reputation for durability and value for dollar , especially for a Chinese Bike so i think it will serve you well.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #11

Congrats on the K4!

What brand are the forks? I have a Pitster Pro LXR250f, which is a rebranded Kayo K6. It has Fast Ace forks & shock. I haven't done anything to mine, but Navin, on ADVrider.com forum, sent his to Pro Tune (I think) to get tuned & was very pleased with the results. Some tuners won't work on Fast Ace because they're a bit difficult to disassemble compared to other brands. But, besides that they are considered to perform well and are of good quality.

It's interesting to hear that there's a big bore kit available for the K4. I installed one on my bike and would highly recommend it.

Many of the KTM body parts, seats, and gas tanks will fit the K6. I installed an Acrebis 4.1 gallon tank & really like it. I plan to install a Seat Concepts seat, but haven't bothered ordering one yet. A good seat is important on a dual-sport.

There are probably similar common parts that will fit your bike too. They might be the same ones that fit my bike, but I don't know. (If you're interested I'd recommend you ask Navin, because he's had a number of Kayo & GPX bikes that he's swapped plastics & seats on. He did a retro style with an air cooled 250, but I'm not sure it's the same model as your bike or not. )

It's great to know Kayo is selling in the US now.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
I like the looks of the KAYO, it seems very similar to my Orion RXB 250L . There are some minor differences but i wouldnt be surprised at all to learn they are made by the same MFG in china , i think Moto-X is who supplies ORION the RXB's but i know they are also

building for a few other Brands.The Orions have a fairly solid reputation for durability and value for dollar , especially for a Chinese Bike so i think it will serve you well.
It's actually supposedly manufactured here in the US. I was told this in speaking with a Kayo rep over the phone.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Congrats on the K4!

What brand are the forks? I have a Pitster Pro LXR250f, which is a rebranded Kayo K6. It has Fast Ace forks & shock. I haven't done anything to mine, but Navin, on ADVrider.com forum, sent his to Pro Tune (I think) to get tuned & was very pleased with the results. Some tuners won't work on Fast Ace because they're a bit difficult to disassemble compared to other brands. But, besides that they are considered to perform well and are of good quality.

It's interesting to hear that there's a big bore kit available for the K4. I installed one on my bike and would highly recommend it.

Many of the KTM body parts, seats, and gas tanks will fit the K6. I installed an Acrebis 4.1 gallon tank & really like it. I plan to install a Seat Concepts seat, but haven't bothered ordering one yet. A good seat is important on a dual-sport.

There are probably similar common parts that will fit your bike too. They might be the same ones that fit my bike, but I don't know. (If you're interested I'd recommend you ask Navin, because he's had a number of Kayo & GPX bikes that he's swapped plastics & seats on. He did a retro style with an air cooled 250, but I'm not sure it's the same model as your bike or not. )

It's great to know Kayo is selling in the US now.
Yep, Fast Ace here on the T4. I did go ahead and remove the neoprene fork covers as my suspicion was that the neoprene was rubbing the oil/grease from the tubes and causing the dust seals to catch. I also made sure to get some grease in between the dust seals and the fork tubes. These 2 things seemed to have helped......for now.

I am interested in a larger gas tank down the road... though 2.5 gallon ain't bad for now.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:13 AM   #14

Cold start and rev video....not sure if you can tell from the video but the exhaust is pretty loud.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzQuHkKoXwH8np2d7

Old 08-18-2020, 03:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Dragon View Post
It's actually supposedly manufactured here in the US. I was told this in speaking with a Kayo rep over the phone.
What are the first three digits of the VIN? That sounds too good to be true.