Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #1

Heated Handlebars

Anyone know if I could run these handlebar heaters on my bike.

link- http://www.jokersracing.com/content-...torsports.html

It says that you need at least 75watts, and I also think that since my bike has a switch to turn the lights completely off that I could run these instead of the lights during the day.

Also I have read the ADVRIDER report about the guy traveling china on a chinese 200cc enduro and if I recall he used heated gear.

Any Thoughts?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #2

So I read what Katoranger said, and he says it has a 20 amp alternator which should yield 240 watts. If I keep the lights off do you think the ol' newstar be able to run it? Im freezing here! lol

Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #3

I'd like to do the same with an old Jap bike, but it's hard cause they don't generate much to even repower the battery. I intend to try and test with multi meter. My season is short and insurance is expensive, I want to make riding season start sooner and end later. 8)

Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #4

Im going to ride through the winter regardless but I want to make it at least a little more pleasant

Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie555
So I read what Katoranger said, and he says it has a 20 amp alternator which should yield 240 watts. If I keep the lights off do you think the ol' newstar be able to run it? Im freezing here! lol
Nope, not a chance. You'd need to have the stator rewound to get enough juice to run hand warmers. These bikes can barely handle a headlight upgrade of 10 more watts. If you manually charged the battery with a trickle charger before every ride, you could probably make it work for short commutes, but it's gonna sap the charging system QUICK!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #6

Guys, I run Gerbings on my large touring bike. I have heard good things about these in-expensive heated gloves and they have their own battery.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73123.asp

You also may wish to try the "heated" packs inside your vest/jacket. These now last up to 8 hours - should keep ya warm on rides and they are not terribly expensive - and again - no battery consumption.

http://www.amazon.com/Heatmax-Hand-B..._dbs_p_title_5

Hope that helps.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie555
I don't know if that info is correct.

I do know that red is correct about the extra lighting causing problems.

The best route is to rewind the stator or make yourself a rechargeable battery pack to operate the gear.

240 watts is not much if you compare to most jap street bikes. I think 500-700 is pretty common on larger bikes and more if it is a touring type bike.

Allen

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to madmaximum Send a message via Yahoo to madmaximum
I don't know if you guys followed the ride that was made through china over on the adventure riders forum, but that guy used a heated vest as well as extra lighting. I believe CrazyCarl knows him, maybe we can find out what he did to make it work.
1977 Kawasaki KH400, aka Green Ripper