Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

New Member, bike unknown

Hi all,
I got my MC license this past August and found a deal on a Tomoto 200cc bike with 10000 km on it (more or less) and bought it! I've put about 100km on the thing since then, and have just begun looking into what needs to be done to it.

I put my finger through the front brake reservoir window when scratching at it
(did not expect this).

I then replaced the plastic with a real glass window (18mmD x 2mm), which means that the retainer ring protrudes from the reservoir just a tad. I'll bleed both front and back at some point.

The engine doesn't like to start up so easily, and I had to re-fill and recharge the battery.

The starter relay is just dangling inside the motorcycle, and not attached to anything.

I have pulled the stock carb and will attempt to disassemble it and look forward to purchasing a Mikuni clone.

There was no rack on the bike, no mirrors. I have added mirrors but want to have a rack and some storage capabilities. The body panels didn't fit perfectly together and a good portion of them are snapped in half around the screw attachment points.

The bike tops out at about 60mph - 95 kph in 5th gear at 9000RPM before the vibration really gets annoying. Perhaps this means a lower-geared final drive sprocket is in order!

What else? I've seen stuff about oil coolers, spark coils, and adjusting carbs and valving, which I look forward to doing.

First order of business: new plug, new carb and disassemble the one I have in the meantime, purchase LED headlamp.

I'm still not exactly sure which parts correspond to the bike. Best guess is a Lifan 200GY, but the rear light assembly and area where the rack should attach to seems a bit different.

Oh, and the seat is starting to degrade (I suspect UV damage to the PU leather) and it may come undone at the seam at some point.

I love it though! I'm in Southern Vermont and riding the dirt roads with the fall in full swing is truly a blast. Hopefully I'll get this machine to the point where I can kick-start it, and have confidence in the reliability of the thing to take it on longer trips.

I'll take some pics as I go along here, but any help in addressing these concerns would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Newt232

Old 10-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #2

Welcome! You have come to the right place. The older Chinese bikes prove that the engines keep running, even if everything else falls apart!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Welcome! Pictures will go a long way.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Pictures will go a long way.
Can do! I de-soldered the buzzer on the turn signal array, cleaned and re-attached the carbs, and put in one of those hot NGK spark plugs in. The spark was weak, but the bike started up right away and I was able to start it with a kick! I also deleted the remote choke control and the burrito tube, as the latter would just get an inch or two of water in it at the slightest chance of rain, and the I can reach the choke lever well enough where it is on the carb. While I dis-assembled the blinker assembly again nothing seemed amiss so I just jumpered that unit out and left it off the bike. Also, the body panels make a heck of a racket through the powerband, which is annoying. I want to get some kind of sticky, foam-backed tape to put down all across the back of those panels to hopefully deaden some of that noise. Also, there is some kind of attachment lug on the right side of the fork for something, but I'm not sure what.

Next set of upgrades: Rack/trunk/panniers, LED headlight and taillight. Spark coil in the mail. What do people do for USB +5V for nav and cell/Garmin mounts? Pics coming when I log in from mobile...

Old 03-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

So here's the photos I have of the thing. It's a 2008 Tomoto. As you can see, I've removed some of the plastic and put on a bigger, 30mm carb. It took me a while to get that working properly, as the original throttle cable had too little play in it, and then I got one with enough play but too short overall. Now it is on there, along with the LED running lights and an LED bulb in front and rear. You can see photos where I disassembled the stock carb and cleaned it out. The second carb needed to be disassembled as well, the casting had flashing around the edges which prevented a seal between the bowl and the top half of the body, and there was a fuel leak until that got resolved. I filed down the edges and added Permatex to seal it up.

Going forward, I want to use some ammo cans for panniers, and will probably have to weld some lugs onto the frame. I want to re-route the exhaust closer to the centerline of the bike, so that the boxes can be attached directly to the side of the frame. I'm hoping to have enough storage to use this as a bit of an adventure bike and get up to camping/fishing areas. Two other things I may do in the future is add a USB power output to the harness and a second set of those LED's next to the ones that are installed, but angled at about 30-45 degrees to the centerline, for better visibility during the daytime.

I think I have the new carb tuned up pretty well, I can't get to the idle air screw but it seems to be ok. I don't notice as much of a difference as I had expected in the acceleration department, I notice a bit of throttle 'lag' if i just open it up at around 5-6k RPM. I went out yesterday for a ride and ran out of gas about 1/4 mi from the station I was headed to.

I did notice that at cruising speed there was a vertical wobble, as if one of the tires was unbalanced. I'm not sure if this should be looked into further, or what to look for. I also tried riding on a deeply muddy, icy and rutted dirt road, but quickly decided against it and turned around. I admit I had to dab a few times, and was down in first gear for that.

Two questions for whoever has an idea:
1. What is this bike, what is it compatible with?
2. Do I need a kit for flats, extra cable? What's a basic repair/tool kit look like?

I've not taken the wheels off, and don't know how I'd do so.

3. What is that bracket on the right side of the fork? Can I use it for tent pegs or a water bottle or something?

4. Can I leave the panels off?

5. Can I get rid of the battery and use a 22000uF 16v capacitor in its place? I don't like the look of the battery box on the side there. If not, maybe a set of AA batteries under the seat? I know I'll be forced to kick-start, which should be fine.

6. Am I missing anything?

7. Can I order an OEM rack/handle for a Hawk and bolt that on to the frame? I want to mount a trunk bag and hard-sided panniers to this thing and use it for ADV touring/camping.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4XeyZ2NZ2yU2VYht9
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...gtZ3VBMW9vWnB3

Last edited by Newt232; 03-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.