Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #1

hellcat...much to learn

so i got a hellcat cheap, have worked on small scooters, some pit bikes and such but every new bike means learning new things.

The bike was missing the side panels, so I bought new ones off of partskit. I figured $50 wasn't bad for new panels shipped.
Except they came missing some screw-in inserts.
So I look back on the website and realize for some absolutely retarded reason they are sold seperate.
On top of that, the pieces are $15 each...the much larger side panels were only $21 each! how does that even make sense?! Honestly their prices for other body panels don't make sense either. $21 for side panels but $40 for the side panel by the seat?
The bike still looks better with the panels, even if they are missing trim pieces and have screw holes in them.

At least my new mikuni carb and the replacement clutch came today. Hopefully in a couple of days I will have them installed. I am sure the carb will resolve running issues, and I'm hoping the new clutch will resolve the shifting issues it was having.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

Keep us posted as to how it is coming along ,and let us know if we can be of any help with Technical issues although most can be readily resolved by searching this Forum.
You won't believe how much the carb will help , if that clears up your running issues and the clutch works to your satisfaction after the repairs, I'd suggest an aftermarket exhaust if you can find it in your budget, together with the carb it really wakes these little bikes up.

Best of luck with the project and welcome to chinariders,net community !
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 07-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhonda View Post
On top of that, the pieces are $15 each...the much larger side panels were only $21 each! how does that even make sense?! Honestly their prices for other body panels don't make sense either. $21 for side panels but $40 for the side panel by the seat?
The price of the plastics is indicative of which pieces break under normal use. You need to add a spacer to prevent the side panels from breaking again and do not over tighten.

If you got it on the cheap you may want to consider ditching the stock motor and investing in a better one. The bike becomes tons of fun after that and you won't find yourself frustrated when the 125 with crab, pipe and 17t front sprocket doesn't have enough power to cruise comfortably at 55.

This is a smoking deal

https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=79

Use coupon code ZS190

Did you get new engine bolts already? That's mandatory. Replacing the axles and swingarm bolts with Grom ones is also a good idea.

BFD8X120YLW - Flange Bolt 10.9 Yellow Zinc [4984]

BFD8X110YLW - Flange Bolt 10.9 Yellow Zinc [6032]

These are what I used. The longer one goes in the top.

I used these for the rear axle and swingarm bolt - part number is 42301-K26-900. Part number for front axle and nut HND-1044

Do you know what year Hellcat it is? Some of the 2018 and 2019 models (made in late 2018) have a problem where the voltage regulator bracket falls off the frame as well as a defective speedo.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
The price of the plastics is indicative of which pieces break under normal use. You need to add a spacer to prevent the side panels from breaking again and do not over tighten.

If you got it on the cheap you may want to consider ditching the stock motor and investing in a better one. The bike becomes tons of fun after that and you won't find yourself frustrated when the 125 with crab, pipe and 17t front sprocket doesn't have enough power to cruise comfortably at 55.

This is a smoking deal

https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=79

Use coupon code ZS190

Did you get new engine bolts already? That's mandatory. Replacing the axles and swingarm bolts with Grom ones is also a good idea.

BFD8X120YLW - Flange Bolt 10.9 Yellow Zinc [4984]

BFD8X110YLW - Flange Bolt 10.9 Yellow Zinc [6032]

These are what I used. The longer one goes in the top.

I used these for the rear axle and swingarm bolt - part number is 42301-K26-900. Part number for front axle and nut HND-1044

Do you know what year Hellcat it is? Some of the 2018 and 2019 models (made in late 2018) have a problem where the voltage regulator bracket falls off the frame as well as a defective speedo.

I know it's a 2018...and I found the regulator dangling near the brake master cyclinder the first day I got it. I need to message the guy I bought it from and see if he repalced any of the bolts, though I doubt he did.
Even with the clutch not working, and the new mikuni carb just slapped on (no tuning done yet) I had it up to 51mph. I do plan on getting a 17t sprocket to edge up the top speed and because I feel that 1st gear is a bit short.
But really, no progress will be made until I solve the clutch issue. Even with a new clutch, it won't fully disengage, even with the cable and cam all adjusted properly.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhonda View Post
I know it's a 2018...and I found the regulator dangling near the brake master cyclinder the first day I got it. I need to message the guy I bought it from and see if he repalced any of the bolts, though I doubt he did.
Even with the clutch not working, and the new mikuni carb just slapped on (no tuning done yet) I had it up to 51mph. I do plan on getting a 17t sprocket to edge up the top speed and because I feel that 1st gear is a bit short.
But really, no progress will be made until I solve the clutch issue. Even with a new clutch, it won't fully disengage, even with the cable and cam all adjusted properly.
I don't know enough to help you with the clutch. You can get a new Hellcat motor for $240 though. Also there are clone groups on facebook.