Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Bent Shift lever and shift shaft Hellcat 125

Oh man, I was riding the other day and decided to go off-road for a few mins by a old train station. A few minutes later destroyed my shifter. The shift lever hit dead center on a pole thingy that was in the ground. It bent the shift lever almost all the way back and bent the shift shaft pretty bad. I had to bang the bent lever off. I put the stock lever back on the bent shift shaft and it still seems to shift fine.

Does anyone know how to replace a shift shaft? any videos?
Or do I have too?

I found these two on ebay i think one will work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Shi...YAAOSw7tVa5Hyf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Shi...4AAOSwlY1ZJdV-

Old 07-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

A bent or broken shifter shaft in most motorcycles is a major'ish production to replace ,many require you to split the cases which is about as bad and deep as it can get.
If it is not leaking oil out ,and you can bend either the shifter itself or the shaft or a little of both straight enough to still be able to ride it ,and it shifts okay, i would do that and call it good. I may be wrong and the design of the chinese 125 engine might allow for an easy fix, but I kinda doubt it . Bending stuff on bikes offroad is nothing new and if it aint flat broken, not really a issue.I bent the back brake lever on my KDX200 up like a pretzel when i pile drived a tree, had to literally use a big rock like a hammer to pound it back straight enough to ride with to get out of the woods. When i got home i heated it with a torch and bent it back pretty straight ,touched the paibnt up with some spray paint and booyah, good as new.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #3

Not being familiar with the Hellcat model, does it have a horizontal pitbike-style engine? If so, you have to remove the clutch basket assembly and also the primary drive gear in order to swap out the shift shaft.

If you intend to swap it out, you should cut the bent shaft off as close to the engine case as possible to remove it, as the fitment tolerance inside the engine case is very tight, and any bend in the shaft will not allow you to just pull it out from the right side.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
Not being familiar with the Hellcat model, does it have a horizontal pitbike-style engine? If so, you have to remove the clutch basket assembly and also the primary drive gear in order to swap out the shift shaft.

If you intend to swap it out, you should cut the bent shaft off as close to the engine case as possible to remove it, as the fitment tolerance inside the engine case is very tight, and any bend in the shaft will not allow you to just pull it out from the right side.
Ya it a 54x54 horizontal style. Thanks that's good to know about cutting it.
I think i'm going to leave it for now. I'll swap it out if it shows signs of malfunctioning. My main concern is the shift lever falling off. Its on really good now but with the bend in the shift shaft, it doesn't go on all the way.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
A bent or broken shifter shaft in most motorcycles is a major'ish production to replace ,many require you to split the cases which is about as bad and deep as it can get.
If it is not leaking oil out ,and you can bend either the shifter itself or the shaft or a little of both straight enough to still be able to ride it ,and it shifts okay, i would do that and call it good. I may be wrong and the design of the chinese 125 engine might allow for an easy fix, but I kinda doubt it . Bending stuff on bikes offroad is nothing new and if it aint flat broken, not really a issue.I bent the back brake lever on my KDX200 up like a pretzel when i pile drived a tree, had to literally use a big rock like a hammer to pound it back straight enough to ride with to get out of the woods. When i got home i heated it with a torch and bent it back pretty straight ,touched the paibnt up with some spray paint and booyah, good as new.

Ha.. hit it with a rock I can see that, that's what I would have had to do.
Luckily I was right by my work. Called a friend to bring my stock shift lever and some tools. It happened so fast and i was only going like 10mph. I was like wtf happened

It seems like a pretty major repair I would probably just replace the engine if it becomes a problem. Yeah, no oil so far. and shifts fine. I didn't try bending the shift shaft back or straighter. didn't want to crack it or something.