Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #1

Zongshen ZS12532 Engine Seized HELP

Bought the bike on friday and it had only done 106 miles and it had been sitting redundant for the last 18 months. Older owner and she lost interest basically. Drove about 200 miles the last 48 hours and was breaking it in gently. However started having problems with the electrics. Think the battery needs replaced and made plans to do this tomorrow. Tonight driving home it wouldnt let me have ma lights on and indicate at the same time. No indicator flash would just screech but when I turned lights off it would work fine. Thought it was the battery so thought oh well will fix tomoz. Driving home at around 45 mph and the bike cut dead and the back wheel locked. Bike slipped to the left and luckily not the right otherwise I would have been ran over from the 3 cars that went past. So i managed to steer into the way the bike was slipping and pulled up with no engine power. Kick start pedal locked which indicates the engine has sezied. bikes fecked now and wont start obviously. Anyone had this problems. Whats the cost. What needs done etc. Gutted. Spent my whole wage on the bike :(

Any help or advice please!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

Re: Zongshen ZS12532 Engine Seized HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcfr
Bought the bike on friday and it had only done 106 miles and it had been sitting redundant for the last 18 months. Older owner and she lost interest basically. Drove about 200 miles the last 48 hours and was breaking it in gently. However started having problems with the electrics. Think the battery needs replaced and made plans to do this tomorrow. Tonight driving home it wouldnt let me have ma lights on and indicate at the same time. No indicator flash would just screech but when I turned lights off it would work fine. Thought it was the battery so thought oh well will fix tomoz. Driving home at around 45 mph and the bike cut dead and the back wheel locked. Bike slipped to the left and luckily not the right otherwise I would have been ran over from the 3 cars that went past. So i managed to steer into the way the bike was slipping and pulled up with no engine power. Kick start pedal locked which indicates the engine has sezied. bikes fecked now and wont start obviously. Anyone had this problems. Whats the cost. What needs done etc. Gutted. Spent my whole wage on the bike :(

Any help or advice please!
Don't want to sound like a total *&%#, but did you check the oil before you started riding it around?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #3

Yeah oil was fine. Anything else mate that you can think?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #4

It's too much of a coincidence that the electrics failed just before it locked up. Can you still select neutral and roll the bike? Are you certain that the bike was in neutral before you tried to kick it over? No offence intended; not sure how much experience you have.

I'm wondering if the flywheel came loose and jammed inside the cover. That's the only thing I can think of that relates to both electrical failure and a motor that won't turn.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 AM   #5

Hey,

I was definately in neutral. Remember when you kick its basically going from 12 oclock to 6. It was jamming at 3pm after this incident. if it was what you said "I'm wondering if the flywheel came loose and jammed inside the cover" would this have caused the engine seized. Could this be something else that is not as extreme as the engine going?

Cheers guys.

keep em coming

Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #6

i would say a flywheel coming off can cause a engine to jam.. on a car the flywheel is in direct contact with a rotating part of the motor.. as a matter of fact i belive these motors are the same as a car in that the starter spins the flywheel which in return spins the motor for it to start..

drain the oil, and let it run out over a a good sized magnet, look for metal shavings or chunks of metal.. if there is none then remove the flywheel cover where the flywheel and stator is.. the stator is what acts as a altinator and recharges the battery while providing power to the ignition system and the electrical system..

if there is more then a little amount of fine metal shavings you might have internal damage, if there is no metal shavings then odds are the problem lays in the flywheel area, but there could still be damage done behind the cover. like how when a chain pops sometimes they take out a part of the engine case.. just need to get that cover off and take a look..

Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

Over my head but will pass it onto the mechanic whos going to have a look. Thanks. How much am a looking at if engine needs replaced?

Cheers

Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #8

It's certainly not over your head to investigate the flywheel. Just remove the left side engine cover; it will have several small bolts around the perimeter that have something close to 8mm heads. You might need to remove the gearshift bolt and lever (mark it first so you can put it back in the same spot).

Once you remove the cover, you'll know if the flywheel is the culprit. It should be securely fastened to the crankshaft; if it isn't, that's the problem. Once you remove the cover, please take some photos and share them with us. We'll be better able to guide you.

In terms of engine replacement cost, that depends upon where you live.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #9

You can diagnose the flywheel easily. Also this has happened before so the likelihood is good.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #10

Ok Wee update. apparently the engine splits into 3 parts. My bottom 2 parts are ok. Its the top where theres damage. This is getting stripped (head taken off) next week to see the damage. Something about piston rings and if they have scracthed something. any advice?