Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #1

Titled and registered in Nevada!

Greetings everyone!

Well, I'm totally legal today. This probably went a lot easier for me than a lot of you since the bike already had a Nevada title. The only issue I ran into was that the PO had written in the mileage and had written in 38.4 there's not supposed to be any tenths listed. DMV lady got it approved by a supervisor and away we went.
Not quite $80. But that includes $28.25 for a new title.
I was speaking with the gal about these bikes and they are seeing a lot of bikes coming to be registered/titled that don't have an MCO/MSO. Unless the bike has been previously titled (even in another state), they will not do anything with it without those. The other big issue, is that Nevada no longer titles any type of off-road vehicle, so no more converting a dirt bike into a DS.

NV

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #2

Re: Titled and registered in Nevada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvbigblue
The other big issue, is that Nevada no longer titles any type of off-road vehicle, so no more converting a dirt bike into a DS.

NV
Wow, can you say "Kalifornication?"

Congrats to you, BTW!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #3

Well they quit doing this a couple of years ago because the state got sued by a dealer. The dealer was having to pay the $28.25 title fee, even though state statute only allowed for the fee to be collected for hiway legal vehicles, and since atv's (the 4 wheel kind) weren't road legal, they argued that they shouldn't have to pay the fee. The attorney general agreed, and dmv stopped issuing titles for them. No title, no registration. Although most people at dmv would agree that a person should be able to title any type of vehicle, if not to register it, then for a record of legal ownership. Personally, I really hate buying anything that doesn't have a title, because if it ever gets stolen, you really have no way to prove that it was ever yours in the first place.
NV

Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #4

michigan changed back to where everything has to be titled from the earlier years of atv's not needing to be titled and it is a mess that is slowly getting straightened out.

I can not understand when someone is selling something and they have no title but tell you how easy it will be for you to get a title, I just want to smack their stupid lips off their face for even saying that.The next group of idiots are the ones that have a title but in the last guys name still, I myself like things to be in MY name as proff of ownership.
People are so lazy and a vehicle without a title is worth about 1/3 to 1/2 at most to me compared to one with all the proprer paperwork.

OK I'm sorry but I'm at work and very VERY bored.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
I can not understand when someone is selling something and they have no title but tell you how easy it will be for you to get a title <snip>

OK I'm sorry but I'm at work and very VERY bored.
Wow, do we work at the same place, I'm bored too! hehe..

Ya I know what you mean. I have a bit more knowledge into the title process at dmv in Nevada, my wife used to work there. I love it when someone says this or that about getting a title, and I can absolutely blow them out of the water with FACTS! I've had a number of deals fall through because I told the guy I'd take the car/truck/MC without issues if they go with me to dmv and once dmv confirms that I can get the thing titled or registered, I'll hand them the cash. "uh...well....um.....I can't make it today..." your loss buddy.

Now that being said, I have bought things knowing that I was just going to fix them up and sell them, so why bother to retitle/register them? in NV, if you sell more than 6 cars a year, you can be considered a dealer. So I just have the seller sign the title, then when I sell the car or whatever, the buyer can fill in their name. Since there's no sales tax on private party sales, and dmv doesn't require a bill of sale (if you have the signed off title), doesn't seem like anyone is losing anything to me.
NV

Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
One cannot even transport(including trailering) ANY vehicle without a title here in Kaliforniastan.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #7

nvbigblue
I understand about the dealer angle to it but that even ticks me off more.
If all I wanted something for is a parts vehicle then it wouldnt matter to me but if I want to ride it or resell it sometime then its a pain.

I literally SIT in my truck and watch people work all day and NO I'm not a supervisor.(OK I sleep a little and eat and drive around to find a WIFI spot but thats about it oh wait I do some work sometimes but I forget what it is I do now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverchip
One cannot even transport(including trailering) ANY vehicle without a title here in Kaliforniastan.
Is that to compensate for all the illegals they let wander in?

I'll never live there but atleast "everyone" can be legally married there now :roll:.