Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Gas Cap question -

I'm really not liking my gas cap ,the lock mechanism just seems really weak and sketchy, i already got the key stuck in it once ,luckily i was able to get it out.I "was" going to order a Grom one to replace it with, then i remembered
the Grom is EFI, and of course the Vader is carbed.

Seems like i had a car that had EFI that the gastank / cap didnt vent like the carbed ones do, so then i was afraid a gascap for a EFI Grom might not function on a clone at all. Has anyone put a Grom gascap on a clone, or know if you can run an EFI cap on a carbed bike in general , i might have imagined the whole problem part cause well, yeah i like beer lol.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

Those stock locking gas caps are more of a hassle than they are an added benefit. I doubt anyone is going to hunt for a dual sport for siphoning gas. Chances are if someone is hunting for a dual sport it's to steal it entirely, so a locking gas cap is more or less useless.

Personally, I haven't looked for a replacement because mine hasn't given me problems (yet), but I'd measure the inner/outer diameter of the cap and try to find one online. I'm sure others here have replaced their gas caps. I don't think there's much of a difference between EFI and "Carb" gas caps except that carb gas caps typically need to be vented. You can always drill a small hole or two in the gas cap to if you've had issues with venting. I am pretty sure the cap hasn't caused venting issues in my case because I've seen my Mikuni carb flood out in a matter of seconds when the float was stuck.
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

Hadn't really thought about replacing it but it's annoying at times. That'a good idea to replace it with a non-locking type. I've found that if I set it in the groove and kind of hold the key it'll cooperate. If you find a non-locking one redcrow, please post!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

I wouldn't mind a non- locking cap , but the problem i have with mine is the lock mechanism itself is just crap, i think i might have got a bad one ,it's real sketchy on feel ,I was going to try the Grom one just because i figured a Japanese mechanism would be better made ,but if it's not vented and it needs to be, if i drill a hole in it for venting, i'm afraid gas will leak out on tank and me both when i am doing wheelies .I guess maybe if it's a really small hole it might not ,but i was hoping to avoid having to do that. They are not very expensive, i guess if no one comes by soon that has swapped one out i'll just order one and try it and see what happens.
2020 Orion RXB250L