Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

New Member: Just bought a Flywing MX 100 and a little confused.

So I paid 50 bucks for what I knew was a basket case and planned to rebuild it.... Thinking I may have to swap the motor. It seems to be an electric start. on a bike that doesn't have a place to mount a battery...

I read some where on this forum (by the way THANK YOU to all who have been sharing info!!!) that a 125 will mount right up to this bike. So I was thinking about buying: Engine Assembly - 125cc 4-Speed Kick Start for Dirt Bike - Version 15
Will this work?

I should say that thought I have ridden street bikes my whole life I have never ridden dirt. I bought 2 dirt bikes for a youth group and as a group we are going to revive them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0978.jpg (86.2 KB, 1058 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0979.jpg (108.3 KB, 1177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0981.jpg (94.5 KB, 935 views)

early to mid 1970's Kawasaki F11 250
2003 Harley Wide Glide
2004 Jianshe Flywing MX 100
2007 Yamaha VStar

Proof of motorcycles in biblical times:

"David's Triumph was heard throughout the land."

Last edited by T Bear; 12-02-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Broken link

Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Welcome! That's a bike I have some experience with. It's loosely based on the Yamaha PW80, with engine mounts for a horizontal Honda clone; the 125 is likely a bolt-in deal. When it's dialed it, it'll go like a scared rabbit.

That exhaust is awful and needs to go. It's also based on the PW80, which is a two-stroke. You can see how there is an expansion chamber that is not helpful and the pipe necks down after the chamber, just before the muffler. A generic pit bike pipe and muffler will do the trick (they're cheap and plentiful).

You might have trouble getting a pod filter to fit, since there is little room between the carb inlet and the frame. I solved that with a 45 degree intake and a foam pod on my son's first bike. You can also get a cheap carb rotator if necessary, to tilt the carb as necessary.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Thanx Weldangrind. I have read a lot of your post and gained a lot from them. I have some VERY noob questions.

I have tried like hell to find a manual in English with no luck. I've also seen many on this forum doing the same SO... I am kind of piece together information where I can.

Wiring - should I be using a PW80 wiring diagram/harness or something from Honda? or does it really matter since I'm starting from scratch? If I'm correct all I need is a CDI, Coil, Kill switch, and the stator (which I think comes with the motor) since its a kick start only.

Fuel - in a street bike I run 93 octane. Should I be running the same in a dirt bike?

45 degree intake - any chance you can show me what you did exactly and where I can get it?

early to mid 1970's Kawasaki F11 250
2003 Harley Wide Glide
2004 Jianshe Flywing MX 100
2007 Yamaha VStar

Proof of motorcycles in biblical times:

"David's Triumph was heard throughout the land."

Old 12-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

My suggestion would be to buy the 125 you've linked above, and then go to TBoltUSA.com and get a complete electrical system from the Flywheel/stator to the kill switch for $99.00. The kit is complete so you know everything is compatible, you'll need a flywheel puller tool to swap the flywheel and stator on the 125 you buy.
You can also pick up a reasonably priced exhaust system that will work on your bike, and yes, you can run 93 octane in the bike.

full electrical system

flywheel puller

exhaust system

Old 12-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

I worked on a Panterra 12+ years ago, it has a similar frame configuration. I used a UNI pod filter with the 15° angled boot to fit under the twin-ribbed frame, and it worked well. You can see it in the photos below.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Just run whatever's cheapest, it isn't exactly a high performance motor, high octane is just sending money out of the tailpipe.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bear View Post
Thanx Weldangrind. I have read a lot of your post and gained a lot from them. I have some VERY noob questions.

I have tried like hell to find a manual in English with no luck. I've also seen many on this forum doing the same SO... I am kind of piece together information where I can.

Wiring - should I be using a PW80 wiring diagram/harness or something from Honda? or does it really matter since I'm starting from scratch? If I'm correct all I need is a CDI, Coil, Kill switch, and the stator (which I think comes with the motor) since its a kick start only.

Fuel - in a street bike I run 93 octane. Should I be running the same in a dirt bike?

45 degree intake - any chance you can show me what you did exactly and where I can get it?
Nothing noob about your questions.

Despite that engine being a good deal, perhaps you'd care to shop for one that includes a complete wiring harness. It'd be nice to know that it's a matched system.

I use regular fuel, unless it's a high compression engine. High octane will only make a low compression engine harder to start.

Here's what I had in mind for the intake:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-26mm-...YAAOSw-0xYbofx

Here's a cool option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manifold-In...oAAOSwYmZXG0WR

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #8

Just curious, did you ever put the 125cc. Motor in? Thanks!