Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

Fuel smell/leak issue

2018 Bashan Sport 250 Im wondering if maybe I over filled the fuel tank, but it was the bikes first night in my garage and when I woke up this morning the garage has a really strong fuel odor and a little bit in the house. Also there was a little fuel by the kickstand. I did turn the petcock off. When I filled it up yesterday, I did come kinda close to the top. Any tips/help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Especially with filling up the tank, Im use to dirt bikes where I fill it up on the trailer on the way out to go ride lol.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

It’s think it’s got no venting to anywhere but out the top of the tank
Smells could well be common
I have 3 bikes parked in the basement no ventilation in the basement and 2 bikes the tanks bent just directly out to the air and get smells tio

Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #3

Don't fill it all the way to the top. Seems to be a Bashan thing. Never had any problems with my Hawk and the gas caps look identical. Maybe drilling a couple of small hole towards the top of the portion that sticks in the tank might keep it from flowing out the top of the cap.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the heads up NzBrakelathes!

Got it JerryHawk250, not sure if I wanna drill holes into the gas cap just yet but I will definitely keep it in mind if absolutely needed!

Old 08-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Turbo, I had the same problem. Cant fill it up to the top. Jerryhawk is correct. Be careful of fumes, I spent 36 days in a burn unit.

Go ride, burn some fuel, and have a great time doing it!!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Understood wedooit, thank you for the confirmation!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #7

Well, I saw a drip so decided to investigate and as soon as I touched the side plastic there was a little splash of fuel. I took off the plastics on that side and dried everything off. It started dripping on the bottom of the tank, on a weld I think. So back to the dealership she goes!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #8

I got an update from the tech that is fixing my fuel leak issue at the dealership. He is saying that the cap was not venting properly which caused the tank to pressurize which caused a weak part of the tank to fail and start leaking. They are replacing the tank, cap, and plastics, hopefully by next week sometime!

Old 08-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDturboScott View Post
I got an update from the tech that is fixing my fuel leak issue at the dealership. He is saying that the cap was not venting properly which caused the tank to pressurize which caused a weak part of the tank to fail and start leaking. They are replacing the tank, cap, and plastics, hopefully by next week sometime!
Admirable of that dealer to take care of the problem. You might post in dealer reviews of your experience.

Thanks for the posts!!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #10

Good call wedooit, just posted a review!