Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

BMS250CRP Updates, Tires in ???

Finally got the BMS out on some mountain trails, and the mrs loves it. I love it. Read the tire issue below and any suggestions would be appreciated.

First, a little background....a few years ago the mrs tipped our old yammy 250 over and split her knee, acquiring what 30 stitches and pain from hell. She hasn't ridden much, in the mountains, on a bike, (lots of 4 wheeler riding, tho) since then. We chose an enduro as to use it as a grocery getter for a loaf of bread, post office, or a milk run. Speeds of 35 to 45 mph max. We are not going to use this as a commuter bike.

The entire ride was non aggressive, as the mrs was getting used to her bike.

Likes: shifts nice, sometimes neutral is hard to find, but not a problem.
Vibration is actually not noticeable, very smooth ride. Our altitude starts, in Pocatello, 4500 ft., we were at approx. 6000 to 6500 ft. in the nearby mountains. I checked the plug, burning normal. The shorter rear shock, I installed, worked. Everything on the bike worked as designed.

Dislikes: The rear disc brake not as positive. I will drain and install new fluid as per this forum guide. The seat is not very comfortable, as we cut it down, so that the mrs can stand flat footed. I told the mrs as she gets more comfortable with the bike, we can acquire an original seat. Because of the enduro tires, the mrs stated bike was squirrely in places.

Comments: When we got back to home, I took it on a 5 to 10 mile ride on the county, paved, roads. Personally, I had not rode it much. Runs and handles great, acceleration is acceptable. Other than the seat, no complaints. I am not sure what to do with the tires!!!!

I could gut the cat, but don't have time to reconfigure the jetting, and the bike runs very well as is. I have a TTR skid plate, that I need to install on the BMS, but, again, haven't had the time.

More comments: I rode the 2002, ttr225. NOT as nice of a ride as the BMS250. Then the fork seals started to leak, making it miserable. I figure I will ride the ttr this year, sell it, and acquire something for next year. I have put a ton of money into the ttr, but that is what a person gets with a used bike.

MORE COMMENTS: I have not licensed it as of yet for on road, but did get on off road sticker, as I don't really know if I had received the original MCO, or I cant find it. According to powersports max, they said they had sent it, last May or June. Therefore I requested a duplicate copy on July 7, and have been bugging them ever since.

Any suggestions on the tire issue will great be appreciated!!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 07-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #2

Glad to hear, the Rockies is like made for cheap bikes like these Chonda's. I'm north of you in MT. And I truly enjoy my bike on the trails.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sochin View Post
Glad to hear, the Rockies is like made for cheap bikes like these Chonda's. I'm north of you in MT. And I truly enjoy my bike on the trails.
I grew up in Great Falls, and sledded most of Montana! The mrs has a cuzzin that just moved to Stevensville. We haven't been to that part of the country in years, wow has it grown, and nice country!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #4

BMS updates!!!!!

I personally rode the BMS over the weekend, dirt, gravel, and highway. Put it to the test against the yammy ttr225. The BMS rides incredibly nicer than the ttr225...ttr has a quicker throttle response. Tires on the BMS, are enduro, and much more squirrely than what we have on the ttr225. Highway travel, all pavement, nice winding road, rides very well and handles very well for the BMS. Acceleration from 25 to 55 is acceptable. The speedo is easier to read in kilometers than miles per. The BMS seems to be a little more noticeable top heavy than the ttr. Brakes? Way better on the BMS. Jetting? I haven't changed the original jetting on the BMS, as our home altitude is approx. 4500, we were riding to 7000 plus. Starts without choke, pulled plug and appears normal. Idles well and smooth. Rack on rear of BMS is perfect. Was nice to do some off road riding, then back to campground, on the highway, in the dark with lights and turn signal lights. Since I lowered the front end, inch or so, maybe the rake makes the bike squirrelly. I can easily change and experiment. Original tires and rims are in balance and true. For the money and happiness invested in the BMS, would classifiy that as excellent.

TIRES????? I think we will ride this bike say 50/50 highway/dirt and gravel. I am almost tempted to change tires to more for off road. ANY INPUT would be appreciated.

Update update.....was super easy to get a plate, and registered in Idaho

Last edited by wedooit; 08-26-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

These are a Hawk like bike?
How about a digital dash?
No fuel gauge? No issue just use that as a volt gauge
Or if I’m wrong I’ll just shut up lol

Old 08-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #6

50/50 tire..... Shinko 700.

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #7

Update....on one thread,Dan mentioned something about a oil gauge window, and the importance of. The BMS does have a oil window, and thanks to Dan, I forgot to mention!

Dan reminded me the term is site glass!!! Thanks sir!

Last edited by wedooit; 08-26-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Poor memory today lol!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Update....on one thread,Dan mentioned something about a oil gauge window, and the importance of. The BMS does have a oil window, and thanks to Dan, I forgot to mention!
I am assuming you are referring to the sight glass?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

Yes site glass, older typing fingers, poor memory, yes site glass, thanks Dan!!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #10

It’s got a dipstick or 2
Or replace the cover with optional sight glass

Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #11

My 2 cents on the tires. If you're gonna be using the bike for camping, trails and gravel roads half of the time I would go full knobby as nothing goes down a gravel road or trail better. Jay gets a little nervous riding his TBR (enduro tires) on gravel but feels confident on my Hawk, the difference is night and day. And when we went trail riding at the muddy Reclaim he laid his bike down 3 times whereas I never even had to put my feet down once.

Remember, enduro tires are a compromise and not really good at anything.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

I agree with oneleggedrider on this. That's all I have ever used on my Hawk. Can't beat a good knobby tire for off-road. I run them on the street too. As long as you are not trying to run 70mph you will be okay. Handles better in the rain than any street tire I ever used on other bikes.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #13

Thanks for the info there onelegged…..jerry...ok BMS UPDATE.....ordered the kenda 760 tires for the BMS, heavy duty tubes, etc.

Last edited by wedooit; 08-27-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: tires, plural, front and rear....

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Thanks for the info there onelegged…..ok BMS UPDATE.....ordered the kenda 760 tire for the BMS, heavy duty tubes, etc.
You will be happier with those tires on the trails.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #15

Kenda 760 tires arrived. Going to give them a try, if not back to the drawing board. Thanks to the masters for your input! also heavy duty tubes that should be here today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kendak760.jpg (16.8 KB, 187 views)