Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #1

CDI rubber mount

Tuesday night at about 6:30pm,I was going to put the 4-wheeler up and in the barn,so I decided I would ride over the hill down by the creek,turn the engine off & sneak down there to see if there were any deer,so I did that and just parked in the middle of the creek,it's been so dry here,no water other than my spring that comes out of the side of the creek,so I sit there for a few minutes.So I went to start my atv and it wouldn't start,I didn't have a tool one other than a pair of slip joint pliers under the seat.I got to looking and my CDI box was just hanging there bouncing around right there where the spark plug wire is.The rubber mount,I reckon that is what it is called after googling.So I walked back up to the house,getting dark pretty quick,grabbed a spark plug tool made for motorcycles,my atv come with a tool kit but was missing the spark plug socket.I grabbed the old Torch A7RTC spark plug that come with the atv & headed back over the hill and down to the creek.If it didn't start I was going to have to just leave it for the night parked in the creek,had a 9 o'clock Dr's appointment the next morning so it would be that afternoon before I could actually mess with it.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

I had noticed it had been having a miss every now & then but let it go.I brought a piece of string to tie up the CDI box for now.I put that old Torch spark plug in it and it started right up.Here's my question,could that CDI flopping around have caused it to miss & eventually not start?I put the NGK plug that was in it the next day after getting back home from the DR's office and it started right up,I'm dumbfounded to why it wouldn't start and has started ever since.Anyway,I had another rubber CDI mount from where I ordered that racing CDI so that's mounted back to where it goes.I ordered some new plugs plus a couple of those CDI rubber mounts.I'm going to try a Champion Z6 plug,I got 4 off Ebay for $10 plus ordered a couple of those rubber CDI mounts.I thought about velcro because I have some heavy duty velcro,what I use in my rc airplanes but that might have been what was causing it to miss sometimes not being rubber mounted and isolated,I don't know.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #3

You can buy the cdi which most times comes with the rubber mounting band just about as cheap as you can just buying the band.You can buy the cdi with the rubber mounting band on Ebay for less than $7
Still wondering whether you could just velcro it to the frame away from any other electronics?

https://www.buggydepot.com/cdi-saddle-rubber-mount.html